• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parcells considering offer from dolphins

Please let us land the tuna!!!

Bill Parcells not taking job with the Falcons
    By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press Writer
    December 19, 2007

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

"We gave it our best shot, and it didn't work out," Blank said.

Parcells was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.

The announcement that talks broke down with Parcells leaves the makeup of the Falcons' front office, and their search for a replacement for coach Bobby Petrino, in question.

Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay's future with the team appeared uncertain if Parcells came aboard. Parcells had told The Daily News in New York he would "probably" accept the Atlanta offer, would plan to hire a general manager and then work with that person to hire a new coach to replace Petrino, who quit last week 13 games into his first season to coach at Arkansas.

It appears unlikely McKay will remain with the team in his present role even though Parcells turned down the position.

Blank added that the Falcons remain committed to "looking at every option for building a championship-caliber team for our fans."

"I have stated we will leave no stone unturned in doing so, and this effort is one example of that," Blank said.

The courtship with Parcells may have no real effect on the team's search for a new coach. The Falcons are expected to wait at least until the end of the regular season to begin serious talks with candidates.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined comment, saying the organization does not discuss rumors.

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The story broke as many Dolphins were playing cards and dominoes in the locker room after practice, and instantly, many of them began turning heads toward the televisions scattered about the room.

It didn't take long for even the mere mention of Parcells to create a buzz in Miami.

"I have a lot of respect for what he's been able to do in other places and I'd expect, if he did come in here, for him to do the same," Holliday said. "I don't know what's going to happen upstairs. I have no idea. I have a lot of respect for (GM) Randy Mueller, as well. But my interest is in what's best for this team and getting us in the right direction."

AP Sports Writer Tim Reynolds in Miami contributed to this story.

I think its a good move for Miami if it really happens but I mean this is the same guy that less than 24 hours ago said he was all but in with the Falcons and he saw no 'deal breakers.' Can't any of these guys just stick to their word anymore?

Comment

Bill Parcells = Roger Clemens

Mercinaries!!!
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
        Please let us land the tuna!!!

Why? What has he won since leaving the Giants?

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
          Why? What has he won since leaving the Giants?
          a hell of alot more games than miami has since he left the giants thats what

Comment

I love him for bringing us two SB's (and I dated his daughter Jill for 3 months), but he is a mercernary and has won nothing without Belicheat.....

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
              I love him for bringing us two SB's (and I dated his daughter Jill for 3 months), but he is a mercernary and has won nothing without Belicheat.....

I thought i read somewhere that his record without Belichick is at or below .500

Comment

[QUOTE=wayne1218]I thought i read somewhere that his record without Belichick is at or below .500[QUOTE]

Could be...although while he has not won a ring, he has made the playoffs frequently...I would think, just thinking through he has been with, that he would be slightly abouve .500 but wouldn't surprise me if he was just below.

Comment

The game has passed the Old Tuna by. His no-nonsense A-Hole approach doesn't serve today's players well ( see Tom Coughlin).

And people forget that he blew the Seattle playoff game, not Tony Romo. Yes, I know Romo fumbled the snap on the FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT that would have given Dallas a 1 point lead with over a minute to go. But what if the Old Dinosaur would have tried to get in the endzone on downs 1-3, so the other team would have needed a TD to win?

Does anybody think SEA wouldn't have been able to set up a game winning FG with Brown kicking at home, with a minute to play and two timeouts to get into position?

Point is, his team had more talent and yet his conservatism cost them. Is this year's team any different than last year's Dallas team? Or is Phillips just that much better of a coach/motivator?

Playing not to lose results in losing ( see Marty Schottenheimer), and driving superstars crazy because they don't get you does not improve your likelihood for success.

Stay away from the Tuna, if you want to move forward.
                  You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandPa
                    Is this year's team any different than last year's Dallas team?
                    Couldn't disagree more...hmmmm...let's see...Ken Hamlin, signed in the off season as a F/A makes the Pro Bowl...Leonard Davis, signed in the off season, Pro Bowl. that is two major components added after Parcells so I would say the team is not the same bu give Parcells credit for building this team...did he not draft and groom Romo? did he not draft Marion Barber? You seem bent on his conservatism over one series of pay calling, granted it was a big spot...I don't recall it but you can do that with any coach.

I don't think he has passed his prime at all. PLUS, HE WON'T BE COACHING!!!! He is still hiring a GM and Head Coach.

Names to watch:
                    Sean Payton
                    Jason Garrett

Comment

Will he actually make a difference in Miami? Not unless they get some players.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                        Will he actually make a difference in Miami? Not unless they get some players.
                        Where has he not made a difference?

Comment

Romo was a Sean Payton discovery, and TUna wouldn't let him take him with him to NO
                          You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

im glad we got him...i am also glad he is not coaching....he seems to have a great eye for talent...if you go back and look at players he drafted for all his previous teams...he has done a great job...time will tell if he can help turn the phins around...lord knows, we need alot of help

Comment

Tuna is a waiste he held the Cowboys back always playing not to lose instead of to beat the shit out of teams he sucked as a head coach for Dallas and I was glad when they let him go!!!!!!!!!
                              THINK BLUE

Comment

Working...
                              X