Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemens fires back, denies taking steroids or HGH

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Roger Clemens denied allegations by his former trainer that he took performance-enhancing drugs, calling them "a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take."

The accusations against the seven-time Cy Young Award winner from former trainer Brian McNamee were the most striking in last week's Mitchell Report. Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell said McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998 while with the Toronto Blue Jays, and steroids and human growth hormone in 2000 and 2001, while with the New York Yankees.

"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life," Clemens said Tuesday in a statement issued through his agent, Randy Hendricks. "Those substances represent a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take.

"I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment."

Another former McNamee client, Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, said last weekend that he took HGH twice while rehabbing from an injury in 2002. Mitchell said McNamee told him he injected Pettitte with HGH two-to-four times that year.

Baseball players and owners didn't have an agreement banning steroids until September 2002. They banned HGH in January 2005.

McNamee's lawyer, Ed Ward, said he would attempt to reach his client to determine whether McNamee wanted to respond to Clemens' statement.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, issued a denial last Thursday, hours after Mitchell's report was issued. Tuesday marked the first public comments by Clemens, an 11-time All-Star who spent 24 years in the major leagues with Boston, Toronto, the Yankees and Houston.

The 45-year-old right-hander was 6-6 with a 4.18 ERA for the Yankees this year and may retire. He said he planned to retire after the 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons, only to return each time.

A six-time 20-game winner, Clemens was considered by most to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer before McNamee's allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!

What a fraud!

Comment

Come on Clemens just admit it!

Eagle
        Kruise Record 28-21

Comment

Did anyone see the word "sue" or lawsuit in this statement? I think not. One who sues, must testify. "See ya!!"

Comment

that was air in the needle fellas
            rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

I dont belive that for a second, he just dosent want his reputation tarnished, but just face it Rocket you got caught, and so did a ton of other people.
              I hope one day they talk about me, and say I knew him when he was just a kid.

110-92 all time picking.

+12.85 Units

Comment

Whatever Barry Clemens

PEACE

Comment

If the report is wrong, take them to the cleaners and sue them for slander! Clear your name! Until then, you are a cheat, a fraud, an embarrasment to your fans and family and to baseball.... Legendary workout regimens...HA!!! Needles in the ass all around!!!! I am sure he will return now and not have to deal with the scrutiny....LOSER!!!!

Do the Yankees have to give back their 2000 World Series ring for being a bunch of junkies?
                  Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack

Do the Yankees have to give back their 2000 World Series ring for being a bunch of junkies?

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218

lets see the pats return stuff. caught cheating, and it was DOCUMENTED.

what applies to baseball need not apply to football.

Comment

Originally posted by molta02
                        lets see the pats return stuff. caught cheating, and it was DOCUMENTED.

what applies to baseball need not apply to football.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218

hey, i'm the biggest pats fan there is. but if you want the yankees to give back world series, well..............

people cant just look at one side of the equation.

Comment

I agree, he would sue, if he's not guilty. No way someone ruins his legacy, and he just sits there denying, if he was truly innocent. Hopefully with all his denials, they just come after him even harder, until he crack and pulls the old Marion Jones.

By the way, how hilarious is it, that guys are saying, I tried roids one time? They all followed Andy Pettitte, they were probably thinking, shit I should've said that first, why did I wait. Notice how Gagne and Tejada aren't saying shit, they had their shipments sent to the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner
                              I agree, he would sue, if he's not guilty. No way someone ruins his legacy, and he just sits there denying, if he was truly innocent. Hopefully with all his denials, they just come after him even harder, until he crack and pulls the old Marion Jones.

By the way, how hilarious is it, that guys are saying, I tried roids one time? They all followed Andy Pettitte, they were probably thinking, shit I should've said that first, why did I wait. Notice how Gagne and Tejada aren't saying shit, they had their shipments sent to the stadium.
                              as you and i have said a million times, this whole thing is stupid, and the 'report' didnt accomplish a damn thing, or let us know anything we already didn't.

and how a report can be comprehensive is ridiculous, since the guy spoke to 2 trainers from 1 city both trying to weasel their way out of jail.

and whats worse is the public perception that this is the definitive list of who did or didn't juice.

for the millionth time-

Comment

Working...
                              X