Clear All

• Michigan has a coach

Rodriguez leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 16, 2007, 2:30 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez informed his players at a 1:30 p.m. meeting Sunday that he was leaving to become the new coach at Michigan.

Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Friday to talk about the Wolverines' coaching job.

Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to Sporting News Radio, which cited unidentifed sources.

The meeting was confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday afternoon by a source close to the situation.

Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Rodriguez again refused to discuss Michigan's vacant coaching job on Saturday.

At the opening of a previously scheduled news conference about West Virginia's trip to the Fiesta Bowl, Rodriguez said he would only talk about the game against Oklahoma (No. 4 BCS, No. 3 AP).

"It may be disappointing to you, but I am not going to talk about any rumors or innuendo or jobs or what else is floating out there," Rodriguez said.

"I'm not going to address the rumors or anything of that nature," Rodriguez said. "If any questions are asked about that, the press conference will be over."

The questions about Michigan persisted, and Rodriguez fired back.

"You all have not understood what I just said. One more question and this conference, unfortunately, and you all have been super, but if the questions persist outside of that then this thing will be over," he said.

A reporter then asked whether Rodriguez would coach the team in the Fiesta Bowl.

"You're a tricky guy," Rodriguez said.

Some players indicated Rodriguez hadn't spoken to them about Michigan and that they were under orders to keep quiet.

"I'm not supposed to talk about that. I'm sorry," offensive lineman Ryan Stanchek said Saturday.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong spoke with Rodriguez on Saturday.

"We talked about general issues within the football program," Pastilong told The Charleston Gazette, declining to be more specific.

Pastilong, who didn't immediately return a telephone message to The Associated Press, told the newspaper "we'll know something very fast" in regard to Rodriguez's decision.

Michigan, which lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, is looking for a replacement for football coach Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

Pastilong said he was unaware Rodriguez, who has a hefty buyout clause in his contract, was in Toledo.

"He has not shared that with me," Pastilong told The Associated Press.

Pastilong would not say whether West Virginia had given Michigan permission to talk to Rodriguez, citing university policy.

When asked further whether he knew Rodriguez was talking to Michigan, Pastilong said, "Rich has not mentioned anything of that nature to me. Secondly, we have a strong commitment with Rich, a strong contract. We're strongly committed to him and he's strongly committed to us.

"I think it would be unusual that he would be doing that without sharing it with us."

Michigan athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said he was unaware of any talks.

On the day Carr announced he was stepping down, Martin said he hoped to complete the hiring process quickly.

But LSU's Les Miles withdrew from consideration before he was scheduled to meet with Martin and signed a contract extension with the Tigers.

Rutgers' Greg Schiano said last week after being contacted about the Michigan job that he was staying with the Scarlet Knights.

After a 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the regular-season finale knocked West Virginia out of the national championship game, Rodriguez said he wasn't going to be on the move.

"The impact of your name being thrown about is sometimes a little overrated. It probably makes for a lot of angst among families and we don't want that," he said. "Sorry but you all are stuck with me here."

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record at West Virginia. The Big East champion Mountaineers (10-2) play No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) next month in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last December, Rodriguez agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013 after he turned down a lucrative offer from Alabama. The extension includes a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before August 2008. That doubles the amount from the previous contract.

Beilein had a $2.5 million buyout clause in his West Virginia contract, but under an agreement with the university he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation for leaving for Michigan with five years remaining in his contract.

Information from ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel and The Associated Press and was used in this report.

106 comments on "Rodriguez leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan"
    More College Football Headlines
    Missouri coach Pinkel 'committed' to staying put
    Valdosta St. bursts NW Missouri St.'s bubble
    Beaver lifts Wisconsin-Whitewater to Div. III title
    Cutcliffe ready to start downtrodden Duke's climb
    Storybook finish: App. State finishes FCS 3-peat

Inside College Football

A couple of former Big East teams have become the ACC's perennial leaders, Heather Dinich writes in the ACC season review.

From Clemson's surprising season to Miami's disappointment in the Orange Bowl, here is a team-by-team look at the ACC regular season.

Bobby Petrino doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account. Pat Forde

Ohio State's return to the BCS Championship Game and Illinois' run to any bowl game were two of the big surprises in the Big Ten.

Hawaii's Colt Brennan and UCF's Kevin Smith highlight the year-end wrap-up of the non-BCS leagues.
    Adam Rittenberg

Bowl-bound Navy put together another stellar season despite a subpar defense. Notre Dame? Let's just say the Irish are green with envy.
    Adam Rittenberg
    ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | News Archive | Site Map | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
    Copyright ©2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

Well good for michigan...they got a good coach

Comment

not even coach them in the bowl game...I should jump on Ok

Comment

Didn't realize that WVU was the farm system for Michigan coaches...first Beilein and now Rodriguez...
        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
          Didn't realize that WVU was the farm system for Michigan coaches...first Beilein and now Rodriguez...

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
            I hope it works as well in football as it has in basketball......

Comment

Man I wonder if Michigan knows what they just got themselves into....his offense is a option spread running attack and he plays that crazy shit 335 defense....I cant imagine Ryan Mallett playing for this guy.....this is going to be a dramatic change for Michigan

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by The Game
                I hope it works as well in football as it has in basketball......
                Lets not judge Belein on what he does this year...I think if he shows minimal progress that will be acceptable...lets not forget after Amaker got smoked they lost their top recruit Legion to Kentucky....give him time and Michigan hoops will be back on the map

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
                  Man I wonder if Michigan knows what they just got themselves into....his offense is a option spread running attack and he plays that crazy shit 335 defense....I cant imagine Ryan Mallett playing for this guy.....this is going to be a dramatic change for Michigan

PEACE
                  I think this is a great move for Michigan---Carr has been flatter than a pancake and dead against Ohio State---Gutty coach---say what you want but I like him---I think he does well in 3 to 4 years...I really don' believe he makes a statement in the first year---but will build a nice foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by bryce
                    I think this is a great move for Michigan---Carr has been flatter than a pancake and dead against Ohio State---Gutty coach---say what you want but I like him---I think he does well in 3 to 4 years...I really don' believe he makes a statement in the first year---but will build a nice foundation.
                    Im not saying its a bad hire..Im saying what he runs is a stark contrast from we have now....I know for a fact if he runs the same stuff as he does at WVU that we dont have the personnel for it

PEACE

Comment

Im not saying its a bad hire..Im saying what he runs is a stark contrast from we have now....I know for a fact if he runs the same stuff as he does at WVU that we dont have the personnel for it

PEACE
                      I understand!! I just think the personnel dictates what scheme you are going to run offensively or defensively...Michigan more power football---drop back passing---It is a good point Pimp--just saying WVA could of been the same way if they had a Henne--not a Pat White---

Comment

Originally posted by bryce
                        I understand!! I just think the personnel dictates what scheme you are going to run offensively or defensively...Michigan more power football---drop back passing---It is a good point Pimp--just saying WVA could of been the same way if they had a Henne--not a Pat White---
                        So you think he will run a conventional offense? Or will he run that crazy option running attack...he recruited Pat White because thats the style of football he wanted to play....was WVA ever a conventional offense under Rodriguez?

PEACE

Comment

PEACE
                          That was my first thought too, about Mallet. You are 100% right that they don't have the personnel for that attack. I don't think the Michigan faithful are gonna give him 2-3 years to get the appropriate folks in before they start to bitch. Maybe he can either change philosophies or try to make due with the kids there now. I wonder if they went with him somewhat b/c Ohio State has struggled some against the spread the last couple years. Should be interesting to see how it works out, that's for sure.
                          O..H.........I..O!

2010 NCAA Football: 4-3-1

2010 NFL: 0-0

2009-2010 NCAA Basketball: 30-23-1

Comment

So you think he will run a conventional offense? Or will he run that crazy option running attack...he recruited Pat White because thats the style of football he wanted to play....was WVA ever a conventional offense under Rodriguez?

PEACE
                            I don't think he has a choice at this point..Good coaches adapt to their people so I guess we will see how good he is!!

Comment

Originally posted by ULikeApples
                              That was my first thought too, about Mallet. You are 100% right that they don't have the personnel for that attack. I don't think the Michigan faithful are gonna give him 2-3 years to get the appropriate folks in before they start to bitch. Maybe he can either change philosophies or try to make due with the kids there now. I wonder if they went with him somewhat b/c Ohio State has struggled some against the spread the last couple years. Should be interesting to see how it works out, that's for sure.
                              interesting that you say that Apples--had the same thought--i am sure there is more to that---but good thinking!

Comment

Working...
                              X