Giants sign Rowand for five years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELJUGO
    Agreed...I'd add about 5 jacks to Winn's total...I like them 1,2. Winn is the only guy who consistantly hits 300 on this team.
    I'm hoping we sign a couple of the low risk high reward players, like Ensberg, Casey etc. We have the worst offense in baseball, let's take some chances.

Comment

Had our shot at Cabrera if we'd trade Lincecum but he needs to stay...It's scary how bad our offense is, I don't see a single guy that could hit 30HR without having a career year. Another year with Henny as the closer isn't exactly what I had in mind either...We definitely need to go after a big bat.
      Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Where'd Feliz go?
        Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Had our shot at Cabrera if we'd trade Lincecum but he needs to stay...It's scary how bad our offense is, I don't see a single guy that could hit 30HR without having a career year. Another year with Henny as the closer isn't exactly what I had in mind either...We definitely need to go after a big bat.
          We need to trade Lowery, Sanchez or Correia for a bat. I'm thinking Sexson.

The Mariners are intent on trading Richie Sexson at the winter meetings, says FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
          The Orioles, Giants, Rays or maybe even the Yankees could try Sexson if the Mariners throw in at least half of the $14 million he's due in 2008. Seattle might then play Ben Broussard at first base. It's assumed Broussard would be non-tendered if there are no takers for Sexson.

Comment

Where'd Feliz go?
            He's still available, we may sign him to another 1 year contract. We might be better off getting Inge if they're giving him away

Comment

Sexson hit 39, 34, and 21 the last 3 years, and last year he only had 434 ab's. He batted .263, .264 and .205 in those three years. Let's take a chance, shit!
              By the way he only had 100 strikeouts last year, that's not terrible
              Last edited by BigWeiner; 12-12-2007, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I disagree and think that he is a good pickup.
                There were talks of trading Lincecum for Alex Rios.
                Rowand put up the same numbers as Rios last year.
                So we get Rowand a Gold Glove without giving away Lincecum.
                JMO.
                NFL
                5* 1-0
                2* 6-2-1
                1* 9-4
                total = 16-6-1

Comment

Originally posted by blitz
                  I disagree and think that he is a good pickup.
                  There were talks of trading Lincecum for Alex Rios.
                  Rowand put up the same numbers as Rios last year.
                  So we get Rowand a Gold Glove without giving away Lincecum.
                  JMO.
                  I don't think it's a horrible signing, but I would've prefered someone else. We still need to make two more moves in my book and I'll pay to go see our team even if we finish last. We need a 1B and a 3B. For 3B, I would pass on Rolen, and Feliz, don't really like Inge either. I'm thinking Mike Lamb for cheap. At first, I think we need Sexson, but worst case scenerio, I'm thinking Casey.

Comment

I agree, we definitely need the bat of Sexson!
                    I'm just so glad we didn't trade Lincecum.
                    He is the reason why I will still watch this team.
                    I think Feliz wants a long contract but it may not be too bad if he signs for 1 year at 3B.
                    NFL
                    5* 1-0
                    2* 6-2-1
                    1* 9-4
                    total = 16-6-1

Comment

Originally posted by blitz
                      I agree, we definitely need the bat of Sexson!
                      I'm just so glad we didn't trade Lincecum.
                      He is the reason why I will still watch this team.
                      I think Feliz wants a long contract but it may not be too bad if he signs for 1 year at 3B.
                      Agreed. There's no way we should trade Lincecum. Offensive players are easy to find, but young great pitchers are not. Feliz actually had a good year considering what they paid, but I think Giants fans are done with him because of the double plays.

Comment

As an A's fan I love seeing the Giants overpaying for free agents that are coming off career years. 30M a year between Rowand and Zito dosen't leave much for the rest of the team. 12M a year for Rowland and the Giant's are still stuck with Roberts and his 260 BA with 2 home runs starting. That's not a typo, a starting outfielder with just 2 home runs.

Rowand isn't the power hitter you think he is. Throw out his 27 HR's in a home run park and he has only 66 Home Runs in over 2000 AB's and that can only get worse in the fog at AT&T. I wish I could find a future bet on who finishes last in the NL West.
                        It's pretty bad when a 30 year old player lowers the average age of a team.

And yes, I know, the A's have their problems too, but without the injuries from last year, they are a much better team than the Giants for about half the payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by thesandman
                          As an A's fan I love seeing the Giants overpaying for free agents that are coming off career years. 30M a year between Rowand and Zito dosen't leave much for the rest of the team. 12M a year for Rowland and the Giant's are still stuck with Roberts and his 260 BA with 2 home runs starting. That's not a typo, a starting outfielder with just 2 home runs.

Rowand isn't the power hitter you think he is. Throw out his 27 HR's in a home run park and he has only 66 Home Runs in over 2000 AB's and that can only get worse in the fog at AT&T. I wish I could find a future bet on who finishes last in the NL West.
                          It's pretty bad when a 30 year old player lowers the average age of a team.

And yes, I know, the A's have their problems too, but without the injuries from last year, they are a much better team than the Giants for about half the payroll.
                          Being that I'm from the Bay Area, I know both teams very well. Billy Beane is definitely the better GM. Sabaen has made some bad moves, Aurilla, Roberts etc, but really to get free agents, bad teams have to over pay. Take a look at what the Royals paid Jose Guillen. Rowand is solid I'll give him that, and seems like a good guy to have on your team, that's always a plus. Considering the other options Sabaen had, I don't hate the move, because it's not my money, and in fact, I'll be paying money to see them, so the more solid players the better.

Comment

BigWeiner said
                            Being that I'm from the Bay Area, I know both teams very well. Billy Beane is definitely the better GM. Sabaen has made some bad moves, Aurilla, Roberts etc, but really to get free agents, bad teams have to over pay. Take a look at what the Royals paid Jose Guillen. Rowand is solid I'll give him that, and seems like a good guy to have on your team, that's always a plus. Considering the other options Sabaen had, I don't hate the move, because it's not my money, and in fact, I'll be paying money to see them, so the more solid players the better.
                            Today 03:31 PM

Being from the Bay Area longer than you, I know both teams very well. I will agree with you that Rowand will be a better guy to have in the clubhouse than the other outfielder the Giant's didn't sign. However, when you say it's OK for the Giant's to overpay because it's not your money, it will be your money when the Giant's have to raise ticket and/or consession prices to cut their losses. I'm guessing they will average at least 5,000 fans a game less that last year.

BW. I'm in Walnut Creek, where are you.

Comment

Originally posted by thesandman
                              BigWeiner said

Being from the Bay Area longer than you, I know both teams very well. I will agree with you that Rowand will be a better guy to have in the clubhouse than the other outfielder the Giant's didn't sign. However, when you say it's OK for the Giant's to overpay because it's not your money, it will be your money when the Giant's have to raise ticket and/or consession prices to cut their losses. I'm guessing they will average at least 5,000 fans a game less that last year.

BW. I'm in Walnut Creek, where are you.
                              I see what you're saying but with that logic, we could have a lower payroll and pay less for tickets but the team would be even worse. I'd obviously rather have a different player, but of the players that were available, I think Rowand was ok for the price. We needed something, one more piece and I'll happily pay for tickets and drink beers at Pac Bell. I live in Marin. I like Walnut Creek, you like it there?

Comment

I really like the Rowand signing. I was shocked that S.F. Ponied up and signed him. They have to over pay for FA's right now and until they get a little younger (In the lineup), and the young pitching takes off. Rowand will bring GREAT Energy to that team (IMO) and he will be a fan favorite!

I understand more than anyone outside of my area does about ticket prices too. The Red Sox are the highest priced ticket in baseball by a landslide and that's because getting them for Fenway is nearly impossible without giving up $400-$500 a ticket. Sure, you can get a SRO ticket on a Monday night in April against T.B. for $100 but who the fuck wants that? Not me. lol

I remember when they sucked and you could easily get face value or close to face value tickets for any game. Now i only go about twice a year compared to 6 or 7 in the past and i'll tell you what ......... Give me less visits and more wins anyday over what used to be.

I think S.F. fans should smile about this deal. I would.
                                Last edited by wayne1218; 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X