X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orton to start for the Bears.

Kyle Orton gets another chance as starting QB for Bears

December 10, 2007

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- Another quarterback switch for the floundering Chicago Bears.

Kyle Orton, who started 15 games as a rookie in 2005, returned to the role ahead of veteran Brian Griese on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Orton, who hasn't played since the season finale two years ago, will start next Monday night's game against the Minnesota Vikings in the Metrodome.

With the Bears out of the playoff picture at 5-8, with Rex Grossman expected to miss the rest of the season with a sprained knee ligament from Thursday's loss to the Redskins, coach Lovie Smith decided to go with Orton.

"Brian has done a lot of good things. We'll just try to see exactly what Kyle can do," Smith said, adding that Orton gave the Bears the best chance to win against the Vikings.

Orton was 10-5 as a starter in 2005. Grossman, who was also injured most of that season, returned to start a playoff loss against Carolina.

Orton, a fourth-round pick out of Purdue in 2005, has primarily been the team's third-string QB the past two seasons. He has not attempted a pass this season.

"I think everybody knows I've been frustrated," Orton said. "I'm going to try to make the best of it."

Smith wouldn't say if Orton would start the final two games of the regular season against Green Bay and New Orleans.

Griese has completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 1,803 yards with 10 TD passes and 12 interceptions this season.

This is another team that should have picked up a QB in the draft.

Comment

"Introducing the 2008 Opening Day Starter for the Chicago Bears, Donovan McNabb"
      Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        This is another team that should have picked up a QB in the draft.
        Looks like the plan now is to tank the last 3 games and get a QB higher up in the draft.
        O..H.........I..O!

2010 NCAA Football: 4-3-1

2010 NFL: 0-0

2009-2010 NCAA Basketball: 30-23-1

Comment

Originally posted by zeib10
          "Introducing the 2008 Opening Day Starter for the Chicago Bears, Donovan McNabb"

Grabbing MacNabb would be almost like what the Ravens did in picking up McNAir - two guys who will never get it done!
          NBA is a joke

Comment

U-C-O-N-N = Uconn! Uconn! Uconn!

Comment

Working...
            X