Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake

Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake

Did the Big Ten make a $4.5 million mistake by allowing an officiating crew that was facing a suspension this weekend to work last Saturday's Illinois-Ohio State game?

As I reported last week, a source told me the conference plans to suspend the crew that officiated the Nov. 3 Purdue-Penn State game based on a review of its work in that game. That same crew worked one of the biggest Big Ten games of the year last weekend in Columbus.

Incredible.

Why would the Big Ten assign the crew -- a few of whom could be fired for their work in the Purdue-Penn State game -- to a game of this importance?

The Big Ten does not comment on specific officiating issues.

The crew includes referee Stephen Pamon, umpire Pat Bayers, linesman Jack Teitz, line judge Robert Davis, back judge Dennis Morris, field judge Bobby Sagers and side judge Joe Duncan.

That group called just three penalties, one on Illinois and two on Ohio State. And a few perceived non-calls have Buckeye Nation angry. Many more fans are upset knowing this crew was running the game.

Were there blown calls? That's debatable. But perception matters more than reality. And the reality is this crew shouldn't have been trusted with such a game.

And how's this for another megadose of reality? The loss cost No. 1 Ohio State a shot at playing for the BCS title. What's more, that loss hurt the Big Ten's chances of sending a second school to a BCS bowl, which would net the conference an additional $4.5 million.

Now, the Big Ten will have to be satisfied with getting just one BCS team. The winner of this weekend's Ohio State at Michigan game will go to the Rose Bowl.

Interseting. Can't blame the refs for that debacle though. They just couldn't handle Juice. Yeah, the refs and the replay assistant blew the call on Illinois' first possession, but they weren't the ones missing tackles later in the game.
    O..H.........I..O!

2010 NCAA Football: 4-3-1

2010 NFL: 0-0

2009-2010 NCAA Basketball: 30-23-1

Comment

3 penalties for the whole game?

Must have had early flights out of Columbus.
      You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Doesnt matter for this overblown bs conference. Refs did blow some calls in that game, but this league is a joke. I usually dont say this about the BIG 10 but this year it is real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ULikeApples
          Interseting. Can't blame the refs for that debacle though. They just couldn't handle Juice. Yeah, the refs and the replay assistant blew the call on Illinois' first possession, but they weren't the ones missing tackles later in the game.

Much respect for handling it like a man.

Comment

its fixed... gotta love big ten refs... BULL SHIT CALLS
            Good Luck as always!
            NCAAF "POSTED HERE" (5-3)
            NFL - "POSTED HERE" (2-4)
            That’s right. Like boxing , everyone wants to be undefeated, this game doesn’t work like that!

Comment

hahahaha i hated to see it not reviewed and didnt know why.........................but we played like shit and didnt deserve to win the game at all...............hopefully things will be takeing care of this weekend ohio state michigan and hope everyone one else falls so we can make it to the big game it can happen
              we lost end of story
              rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

Working...
              X