Shula suggests asterisk if Patriots go undefeated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shula suggests asterisk if Patriots go undefeated

Don Shula likes the Patriots' chances of going undefeated, but the Bill Belichick-inspired spying scandal has clouded Shula's thinking when comparing New England with his unbeaten 1972 Dolphins team.

AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

To his chagrin, Don Shula believes the Patriots and Barry Bonds have something in common.

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula said in an interview with the New York Daily News. "You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost a first-round draft pick for videotaping the Jets' opposing sideline during the teams' season-opening game.

"That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found," Shula said, according to the Daily News. "I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record.

"I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No. 1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

The way the Patriots have been playing, Shula and the '72 Dolphins might find themselves answering more questions than in past years about whether their record will stand. New England improved to 9-0 on Sunday by beating the previously unbeaten Colts (7-1) in Indianapolis.

There have been serious runs made at the Dolphins' record before. The 1985 Bears started 12-0, then lost on a Monday night to a Dolphins team coached by Shula. The 1991 Redskins started 11-0 and the 1998 Broncos and 2005 Colts opened 13-0 before losing. Although members of the '72 Dolphins have become known for sipping champagne after the last unbeaten team falls by the wayside each season, Shula says stories of that annual celebration "have been blown out of proportion."

"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," former Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich told the Daily News. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten.

"The Patriots have assembled a powerhouse of a team. They are a classy bunch of guys and play ball the right way. If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

shula just wants to be the only undefeated coach..he should shut his trap

Comment

You got to be kidding---good lord what next--STUPID!!

Comment

hahahaha bonds is still playing and takeing steriods
        rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

This is ridiculous. It seems Shula is getting nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarty6969
            hahahaha bonds is still playing and takeing steriods

you must be giving him the shots, and it sounds as if you enjoy looking at his ......when you do it.

Comment

i know his girlfriend and i have a million kids to prove it
              rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

give me a friggin break....this makes shula appear small

Comment

TTT, love your avatar. Growing up Tarkenton was my favorite Giant. I was very upset when they traded him back to the Vikings.

Comment

if anything, this is the 'cleanest' season they can have. they were caught 8 minutes into it!

sorry don, it could be over. no more champagne.

by the way, nice job against the jets in sb III.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                      TTT, love your avatar. Growing up Tarkenton was my favorite Giant. I was very upset when they traded him back to the Vikings.

my favorite player of all-time...any sport

Comment

shula should worry about his steak houses and his nutra system diets and not New England.
                        2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Shula isn't the nutri system still working for his lard ass

Comment

Upon Further review. Shula did not "suggest"

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished. You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it," Shula told the Daily News yesterday. "Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found.

"I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record. I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No.1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

"You have to acknowledge what they accomplished, but I don't know how you disregard Spygate," Shula said. "It's there. It happened. You don't know what was on those tapes and how much it helped. I think the commissioner just wanted it to go away."
                            At no time did he suggest they use an asterisk.

"I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record. "
                            In that sentence he's not suggesting they use an asterisk. IMO he meant they're not going to put an asterisk on Bonds' record and they won't put an asterisk if the Pats go undefeated.

The media loves spinning and misquoting for a good story.

Comment

I am no fan of NE, but that is absurd
                              Questions, comments, complaints:
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X