Girardi Is NOT A Good Fit For The Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girardi Is NOT A Good Fit For The Yankees

Am I the only one who thinks this is a weird move? Girardi is a headstrong guy who doesn't like to take crap. No job in sports requires more crap-taking than manager of the Yankees. You have an insanely critical press corps, a meddling owner, a very demanding fan base that expects to win the World series every year and constant second guessing.

Remember this is the same Girardi who yelled at his OWNER in Florida to stop heckling the umps. Girardi did his best work in Florida with a young team that exceeded expectations in a market where nobdoy follows baseball and nobody even attends the games. The Yankees are a veteran team with high expectations. I think a calmer personality, in other words a Torre-type, would make more sense.

Not a bad take and given some of the high profile names on the Yankees, there might be butting head. Also heard on the radio that him and Posada don't get along at all since Jorge replaced him at catcher back in the day. I like Girardi as he is fiery and in the dirt with the players. I think he does help out with some of the youth movment of the Yankees, especially in regards to pitching. But I will agree that being under a microscope for such a lightning rod for passion is not the best thing...

Comment

Originally posted by griswold
      Am I the only one who thinks this is a weird move? Girardi is a headstrong guy who doesn't like to take crap. No job in sports requires more crap-taking than manager of the Yankees. You have an insanely critical press corps, a meddling owner, a very demanding fan base that expects to win the World series every year and constant second guessing.

Remember this is the same Girardi who yelled at his OWNER in Florida to stop heckling the umps. Girardi did his best work in Florida with a young team that exceeded expectations in a market where nobdoy follows baseball and nobody even attends the games. The Yankees are a veteran team with high expectations. I think a calmer personality, in other words a Torre-type, would make more sense.
      The only sure thing is that he won't accomplish what Torre did-win 4 WS in 5 years(assuming he even lasts that long). lol

Comment

they thought torre was going to be a bust......Maybe that was just the way joe managed a young staff and knew he had to....I am sure he is not 1 dimensional....I actually think it is a good hire....well better than don mattingly

Comment

Originally posted by griswold

Normally, I'd agree with you. However, in this case since Girardi was the bench coach for the Yanks IMO he'll make a smooth transition.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
            The only sure thing is that he won't accomplish what Torre did-win 4 WS in 5 years(assuming he even lasts that long). lol
            Most of us here at BC would have won 4 WS in 5 years with that team. Torre's best year managing the Yanks was this past season. He took a team down and out to the playoffs. When most were writing them off.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
              Most of us here at BC would have won 4 WS in 5 years with that team. Torre's best year managing the Yanks was this past season. He took a team down and out to the playoffs. When most were writing them off.

I AGREE 100%
              MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
              HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
              0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

I think just the fact that you acknowledge he did a great job this year in spite of adverse circumstances is exactly why Yanks should have kept him irrespective of whether we agree or not that just about anyone would have won 4 WS in 5 years.

Comment

They ARE getting him basically for 3 years at the price of one Torre year ( 7.5 for 3), and it is Cashman who really should be under the microscope. Any successful team needs balance, as well as a mixture of young and veteran players. It would have been hard to succeed for any manager with the rotation they had and the slower older position players.

Hard to imagine a $200M rebuilding team, but this might be it.
                  You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                    Savage, one thing is for sure. It's a tough job for anyone to step into. Working for the Yanks as well as filling Torre's shoes.

Comment

Savage, one thing is for sure. It's a tough job for anyone to step into. Working for the Yanks as well as filling Torre's shoes.
                      Frank-thats for sure!

Comment

Working...
                      X