X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home UnderDogs----good reading

Home Dogs beating the odds
    College Football Home Dogs Beating Pointspreads in ‘07

For anyone who has had the stomach to play the numerous college football home underdogs in the past month, you have been rewarded handsomely for your fortitude, as home pups have gone on a run of 46-22 ATS for 67.5% over the last four weeks of games. In fact, the sheer volume of pointspread victories by the barking dogs are reaching levels of success not seen before in the database as the 38 ATS wins in the last three weeks have tied a 15-year high.

Overall for the season, home underdogs are hitting at a 57.7% success rate against the spread, and this past week’s ESPN feature games on Thursday and Friday night when Rutgers upended South Florida and Connecticut beat Louisville were perfect examples of what has become a glaring trend…home underdogs = success.

As you can see from the chart below illustrating the performance records of home underdogs over the years and every week of the 2007 season, the 57.7% success rate over this season’s first eight weeks would place 2007 in the #2 spot in terms of home underdog ATS performance. The 2004 season was #1 at 62.3%, and this year’s home pups would really have to pick it up over the next 6-7 weeks to reach that level. Still, it’s been a great run, and hopefully along the way you’ve been able to pick up a few underdog money line wins as well.

1. (105) BOISE ST at (106) FRESNO ST (+4.5) - FRIDAY
    2. (107) S FLORIDA at (108) CONNECTICUT (+5.5)
    3. (131) C MICHIGAN at (132) KENT ST (+1.5)
    4. (135) KANSAS at (136) TEXAS A&M (+3)
    5. (143) MEMPHIS at (144) TULANE (+1)
    6. (147) LOUISIANA TECH at (148) UTAH ST (+3)
    7. (151) W MICHIGAN at (152) E MICHIGAN (+5)
    8. (157) MICHIGAN ST at (158) IOWA (+3)
    9. (159) CLEMSON at (160) MARYLAND (+3)
    10. (161) VIRGINIA at (162) NC STATE (+3)
    11. (169) UTAH at (170) COLORADO ST (+6.5)
    12. (175) UCLA at (176) WASHINGTON ST (+6)
    13. (183) W VIRGINIA at (184) RUTGERS (+6.5)
    14. (185) OHIO ST at (186) PENN ST (+3.5)
    15. (187) HOUSTON at (188) UTEP (+4)
    16. (189) BYU at (190) SAN DIEGO ST (+14)
    17. (199) TROY at (200) ARKANSAS ST (+4)
    18. (201) MIDDLE TENN ST at (202) NORTH TEXAS (+12.5)

On this weekend’s college football betting board, there will be 18 home underdogs, based upon opening lines. Just by the simple law of averages, some of these will win outright, some will only win ATS, while others will do neither. Recent activity would certainly suggest that you study these games a little closer before the weekend. These are the games, based on opening lines. Stay tuned till the end, when you can reveal your own checkdown list for qualifying home underdogs for betting consideration.

With 18 games to choose from this weekend, how can we narrow the list down and focus on the most lively of home underdogs? Here are some questions to consider as you decide whether or not to back a particular home pooch…

Does the game mean something to the home team? – Home underdogs without any kind of motivation besides simply playing well aren’t apt to get up for a game against a better opponent.
    Is the home team a dog because it is a bad team or because it is playing an elite opponent? – It’s never a good idea to play bad teams, even against other bad teams, since when this occurs, there is normally a good reason why the road team is favored. Bad teams aren’t lively underdogs.
    Is the home underdog accustomed to playing as a favorite more often than not? – R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Quality teams don’t take kindly to being an underdog on their home turf. This provides for that extra motivation I spoke of just above, and can lead to success.
    Is the home underdog playing well at home of late? – It’s not often when you can get a team that plays well at home as an underdog, but it does happen, note Penn State. These dogs are typically livelier since they are used to success on the home turf and know how to feed off their own fans’ enthusiasm.
    Does the home underdog have a good defense? – A good defense can take over a game in every aspect, from controlling the pace to forcing turnovers. This is very important when facing superior clubs.
    Does the home underdog have a good offense? – Being a road favorite, it can typically be assumed that the team has a capable offense, defense or both. If the home underdog is down, does it have the capability to score or are points going to be hard to come by? Nothing is more frustrating that backing an offensive inept underdog that is overmatched.
    Does the home underdog have good balance? – Rutgers proved last week that home dogs have to be able to mix it up to keep a superior team off balance. The ability to both run and throw the ball leaves a team with something to fall back on if either weapon is rendered ineffective. If a team goes into a game struggling with either, chances aren’t good that they’ll get it going against a favored opponent.
    What would the line of this game have been 1, 2, 3, or 8 weeks ago, etc? – has a recent run of surprisingly good play by the road favorite or poor play by the home underdog cause an overadjustment by oddsmakers? If so, it’s better to be on the opposite side of the error, since those types of things tend to correct themselves, and quickly. Case in point, Rutgers would likely have been listed as better than a field goal favorite against USF anytime in the season’s first five weeks. Instead they were the dog. Way too far of an adjustment.
    Are there any signs of late that indicate a home team could be ready to pull an upset? – Heartbreaking losses, particularly to conference opponents, have a tendency of motivating teams. Resounding wins have the same affect, and can carryover to team’s next game. Has the home dog been snake-bitten in recent weeks by turnovers or key penalty calls, etc? If any of these apply, you might have yourself a lively dog.
    Is the road favorite a big name school not playing up to typical expectations? – Tier 2 schools loves taking down big name programs or kicking them when they are already down. In most cases, this road favorite has dominated the head-to-head series, but is ripe for the picking by an extremely hungry opponent. Connecticut’s upset of Louisville last Friday is a perfect example.
    Is the line just plain wrong? – Nothing is more effective in football betting that watching and knowing the teams. Some statistics, can uncover false favorites, but nothing can take the place of seeing how teams are playing and being able to project how they’ll matchup against an opponent. This is particularly true in the season’s first few weeks. When watching the games, take special note of how a team’s front lines control the line of scrimmage, or how the quarterback effectively commandeers the offense.
    Ask yourself these simple questions before this weekend’s action and come up with your own winning list of live college football Week 9 home underdogs! Good luck.

How do you qualify the above mentioned Home Dogs.........

kaptain
    Last edited by Kaptain; 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM.

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Absolutely AMAZING read Kapt....great points all throughout that article and thanks!!!
    SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

good job kapt

Comment

you can ignore sdsu this week - there will be nobody in the stands and they will lose by 30 or more

take a look at wash st - ucla is a classic jekyll and hyde team, and they could easily go up to pullman and lose by 14

Comment

My best 9 guesses out of this list (I have Tulane as a fav now), assuming 50% + will cover, and may even play a few:

Kent St
          Tex A&M
          E Mich
          Iowa
          NC State
          Wash St
          Rutgers
          UTEP
          Arkansas St
          2012 - 2013 NCAAF

21 - 20 - 0

2012 - 2013 NFL

14 - 10 - 1

Comment

Nice work Kapt- I will need to come back and look thru these!
            "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Comment

Great information Kaptain. Do you have the charts they reference?

Thanks

Comment

Wash St, Iowa and Rutgers catches my eye real quick-90% of the time and this goes with the NFL as well I will take a home dog. Have I been burnt---hell yes...but if anyone ever sees my posts I am usually leaning towards the home dog---College basketball as well Pro baskets is the only sport where I don't see this trend. There are times during the year I do get smacked but in general I do win cash for the year because of home dogs!! If you look at the NFL I believe- you see a similar trend--just as INDY covers as a road fave last night but I think---I know if you stick with the pups at home you are going to be a winner over the course of the year...Emotion--crowd noise--travel for the road fave team always a factor in my capping--I had a good friend in Pitt that was a book for many years from the Grosso family Tony Grosso don't know if anyone has heard of him was the reason the PA lottery started the poor guy ended up dying in jail at like 79 years old because he was a book---they put him away..anyway this is what he told me years ago--everyone likes taking favorites--people don't realize the value of a home dog--he said we had so many people broke by Thanksgiving that the bookies in Pitt were betting eachother on TDAY because people owed out so much cash..sorry for the long post KAPT just putting my two cents in.

Comment

Great info, thanks. I am primarily an underdog bettor in the NFL as you have to be to be a consistent winner. I keep a log of all the dogs and fav winner ATS. This year home dogs are 17-11 ATS (65%), a pretty good clip. In 2006 in NFL Home dogs were 45-25 (64%) leading into week 16. Dont have all of my database with me, will update you when I do.
                  Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
                  +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
                  +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
                  +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
                  +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
                  +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
                  +14.7 Units

Comment

Originally posted by roccodean
                    Great info, thanks. I am primarily an underdog bettor in the NFL as you have to be to be a consistent winner. I keep a log of all the dogs and fav winner ATS. This year home dogs are 17-11 ATS (65%), a pretty good clip. In 2006 in NFL Home dogs were 45-25 (64%) leading into week 16. Dont have all of my database with me, will update you when I do.
                    Thanks for the info ROCCO!! Wondering if anyone has this info for all sports---I am especially interested in College hoops--NBA--bases--Spear you out there buddy--do you have a site where this shows all the info?

Comment

I like Kansas now I don't know

Comment

Texas A&M will absolutely win SU at Kyle Field hosting ranked Jayhawks.

Great report, Skippa. As a dog-lover, it always causes a warm fuzzy feeling to see the facts bear out.
                        You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Outstanding! Thanks, Kaptain!

Comment

great info Kapt!!!
                            Good Luck as always!
                            NCAAF "POSTED HERE" (5-3)
                            NFL - "POSTED HERE" (2-4)
                            That’s right. Like boxing , everyone wants to be undefeated, this game doesn’t work like that!

Comment

Larry 29 and others

Originally posted by Larry29
                              Great information Kaptain. Do you have the charts they reference?

Thanks

College Football Home Underdog Records:
                              Year: ATS W-ATS L ATS (Pct.)
                              1992: 90-67 ATS (0.573)
                              1993: 80-70 ATS (0.533)
                              1994: 76-79 ATS (0.49)
                              1995: 81-85 ATS (0.488)
                              1996: 82-83 ATS (0.497)
                              1997: 90-84 ATS (0.517)
                              1998: 110-113 ATS (0.493)
                              1999: 114-100 ATS (0.533)
                              2000: 117-96 ATS (0.549)