Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Superbowl Matchup is...

New England Patriots over Washington Redskins

Once each NFL Team has five games under their belt (after week six), my NFL Excel Program has correctly picked 5 of six SB contenders since I wrote the program:

2004: Eagles over Pats (Pats won, Eagles covered)
    2005: Steelers over Seahawks (Pit won and covered)
    2006: Chargers over Bears (Sdg went 14-2 but lost 1st round)

The Program factors in various statistics and strength of schedule. Here's the lowdown:

AFC Playoffs:

East: Pats
    North: Steelers
    South: Colts
    West: Chargers
    WC 1: Titans
    WC 2: Jags

NFC Playoffs:

East: Redskins
    North: Packers
    South: Bucs
    West: Cardinals
    WC 1: Cowboys
    WC 2: Giants

AFC Championship: Nwe over Pit
    NFC Championship: Was over Dal
    SB: Nwe over Was

Top Five AFC Nwe Pit Ind Ten Jax
    Top Five NFC Was Dal Nyg Phi Tam

Top Five NFL Nwe Pit Ind Was Dal

Bottom Five NFL:

28.) Mia
    29.) Buf
    30.) Nor
    31.) Jets
    32.) Stl

dt

WOW---thanks Dave----kapt

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Thanks Dave. Interesting to see the entire NFC East at the top of the conference rankings.

Comment

While the Pats are obvious I can't see the Redskins advancing to the Superbowl. What have they done? They beat a very bad Dolphin team at home in OT. Blew a lead at home to a struggling Giants team.

We'll see come February.

Comment

I love the Skins advancing to the bowl. If Campbell doesnt make mistakes and Portis runs well they can beat the Boys with that D.
          Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
          +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
          +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
          +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
          +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
          +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
          +14.7 Units

Comment

Originally posted by roccodean
            I love the Skins advancing to the bowl. If Campbell doesnt make mistakes and Portis runs well they can beat the Boys with that D.
            You must be a Skins fan. Lot of IFs in your statement. IMO the Redskins D is overrated. The best offense they've faced was the Giants. The Giants moved the ball extremely well in the 2nd half scoring 3 TDs.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
              While the Pats are obvious I can't see the Redskins advancing to the Superbowl. What have they done? They beat a very bad Dolphin team at home in OT. Blew a lead at home to a struggling Giants team.

We'll see come February.
              I know what you mean. It's not my opinion, it's just what the program spit out. I just punch the numbers in. Having said all that, I don't think the Redskins are a stretch. The NFC is obviously much weaker and there's not as much competition as the AFC.

The Raw Power Rating has the Cowboys advancing, but after factoring in Strength of Schedule, the Redskin's Power Rating was about a half-point higher. This exact same setting happened two years ago with my Excel. The Colts were the fave with a Raw Rating, but after SOS the Steelers had a slightly higher Power Rating. In that case it panned out with the Steelers winning it all.

Let's not forget that when the Playoffs roll around, it's about defense; and the Cowboys have been lit up twice already this season, by Eli Manning and Tom Brady. In contrast, the Redskins have given QB's fits.

ps. While it's true that Washington is only 3-2, the Chargers were only 4-2 last year when the Excel Program crowned them as the best team in the NFL. Though they choked in the playoffs, they finished with an NFL best 14-2 mark.

dt
              Last edited by dave T; 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctt8410
                Thanks Dave. Interesting to see the entire NFC East at the top of the conference rankings.
                Yeah, which mandates that one of them will miss the playoffs. Last season 3 out of four of the NFC East teams went, taking both wildcards.

dt

Comment

interesting stuff... gonna lay some wood then on was to win the superbowl...
                  Good Luck as always!
                  NCAAF "POSTED HERE" (5-3)
                  NFL - "POSTED HERE" (2-4)
                  That’s right. Like boxing , everyone wants to be undefeated, this game doesn’t work like that!

Comment

Originally posted by x2gold
                    interesting stuff... gonna lay some wood then on was to win the superbowl...
                    The Excel does not pick Wash to win the SB, only to go (win NFC).

Comment

Originally posted by dave T
                      I know what you mean. It's not my opinion, it's just what the program spit out. I just punch the numbers in. Having said all that, I don't think the Redskins are a stretch. The NFC is obviously much weaker and there's not as much competition as the AFC.
                      Do you still think the Redskins are a viable SB contender? Their team and defense is extremely overrated.

I'm curious who the spreadsheets spits out after week 10.

Comment

I cant believe anyone or any computer could spit out a team that lost 52-7 regardless of the circumstance, to go to the superbowl. WOW. Thanks for the info!

Eagle
                        Kruise Record 28-21

Comment

I don't think Washington will make the super Bowl, but let me say that I don't think their D is overrated either. What their D is now is INJURED.

Comment

Originally posted by MB17
                            I don't think Washington will make the super Bowl, but let me say that I don't think their D is overrated either. What their D is now is INJURED.

Washington isnt even going to make the Plkayoffs let alone go to the Super Bowl as long as Gibbs is their Head Coach
                            THINK BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by dave T
                              AFC Playoffs:

East: Pats
                              North: Steelers
                              South: Colts
                              West: Chargers
                              WC 1: Titans
                              WC 2: Jags

NFC Playoffs:

East: Redskins
                              North: Packers
                              South: Bucs
                              West: Cardinals
                              WC 1: Cowboys
                              WC 2: Giants

AFC Championship: Nwe over Pit
                              NFC Championship: Was over Dal
                              SB: Nwe over Was
                              Here's last seasons projections:

The AFC was dead on. All projected teams made the playoffs.

The NFC was pretty accurate. Redskins didn't win the division but they did make the playoffs. The only glaring mis-prediction was the Cards winning the NFC West.

Comment

Working...
                              X