utah QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utah QB

info i found out is brett elliot starting qb is out with a broken wrist for tonight. dont know if this was posted or not here so i thought i would share.

upon further review

Utah SR. QB Rice (the starter the previuos 2 years) will also play.
    Last edited by wayne1218; 09-11-2003, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Utahs QB is out, but they have a solid running game and CALIF D is Horrid when it comes to stoppnig the run...UTAH will run all night..UTAH also has very fast WR, so the long ball will be there tnght...CALIF HAS 0 running game, but a great pass attack...If i had to pick a side i owuld go w. UTAH, but I think the OVER is a better bet...Espec. if u can tease and knock it down a few points!

Comment

from what i seen, sophomore alex smith will start with rice playing also. smart has very little experience.

Comment

that should be smith has little experience. trying to do three things at once.

Comment

Here's the article

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- Just when Utah coach Urban Meyer's new offense started moving the ball, he had to find someone else to lead it.

Starting quarterback Brett Elliott broke his non-throwing wrist late in a 28-26 loss at Texas A&M, forcing the Utes right back into another quarterback competition just weeks after deciding the first one.

"He's out for a while. I feel bad for him,'' said Alex Smith, who will start Thursday night (ESPN, 7:30 ET) against California. "But I'm also excited. It's a big chance for me."

Elliott was hurt while trying to run for a 2-point conversion that would have forced overtime with eight seconds to play Saturday. He had just led the Utes back from a 21-0 deficit after a sluggish first half.

Elliott finished with 210 yards passing and a touchdown, and Brandon Warfield ran for 181 yards and three scores as the Utes (1-1) finished with 415 yards of offense.

The high-octane offense Meyer brought with him from Bowling Green was finally clicking, but now it has to adjust with Smith making his first start.

"We'll probably have to get used to him. After the first drive, we'll probably be OK," Warfield said. "Everybody's going to be nervous the first drive. It's natural."

Having Warfield in the backfield will help Smith's adjustment. Warfield has been the Mountain West Conference offensive co-player of the week after both games this season and is averaging 177 yards per game. He also leads the Utes with four touchdowns.

With running back Marty Johnson still out with a foot injury, Warfield will continue to carry the offense.

"Their offense isn't that complicated, and I think they'll try to keep it simple without their quarterback," Cal linebacker Brian Tremblay said. "He's a solid running back, but I don't think he's better than what we've faced so far."

Smith, a sophomore who played in one game last season, was 5-of-7 for 86 yards and two touchdowns in the season opener against Utah State. He had an impressive spring and although he didn't beat out Elliott in training camp, he did hold off senior Lance Rice for the No. 2 spot.

Rice and Smith battled for the starting job again this week and on Wednesday Meyer named Smith the starter.

"I definitely feel a lot more prepared," Smith said. "There's so many positives. I feel like I know where I should be throwing it just about all the time. Make the right reads, be smart and lead the offense."

In two seasons at Bowling Green, Meyer didn't get much TV exposure. And facing a Pac-10 team makes it even bigger.

"It's a great opportunity to showcase Utah football,'' Meyer said.

The opportunity is just as big for Cal (1-2), which is coming off its first winning season since 1993. The Bears recovered from a season-opening loss to No. 7 Kansas State by routing Southern Mississippi on the road. But Cal slipped back below .500 last week with a 23-21 loss to Colorado State on a field goal with less than two minutes remaining.

"This game can pick our confidence back up if we win, and it would keep our bowl hopes alive. If we lose, it could put us in a corner," Cal receiver Geoff McArthur said. "Nobody wants to go 1-3, even though it was against four really good teams."

Comment

Sport

Post your service BS in the service area, we don't want to see that shit here.
              C-ya

Comment

Working...
              X