What is a walk off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a walk off?

Why do they always said walk off, when a team win in their last at bat?

Can't believe I aited this late in the season to ask. Just that my Padres has been doing that lately.

when the home team hits a home run that ends the game. its called a walk off because the game is over
    jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Originally posted by baseballdave
      when the home team hits a home run that ends the game. its called a walk off because the game is over
      only with a home run?

Comment

Originally posted by thaikarate1
        only with a home run?
        when a player gets a base hit to end the game, its generally not called a "walk off" base hit.
        when they hit a home run, its called a walk off
        jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Its Only Called A Walk Off When The Batter Hitting Hits A Bll That Can Be A Winning Run Regrdless If He Scores It Or Not.down 1 And Runners On 2nd And 3rd And A Home Run That I A Walk Off Hr Because The Runner From 2nd Scored And The Runner From 3rd Scored Meaning The Batters Run Did Not Mean Anything.hope This Helps Half Drunk Myself Lol
            MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
            HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
            0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

can be a hit....called a "walk off hit"....

If the hit is a "Homer", thus it's called a "walk off homer"....

Definition according to MLB dictionary is as follows.....

walk-off hit
              a base hit or home run in the bottom of the ninth or extra inning which results in the winning run being scored for the home team; even though there are less than three outs, players walk off the field because the game is over.

notice it says "base hit or home run".....kapt

and I'm sober right now.....LOL

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

As ridiculous as it sounds, I have even seen bases loaded walks referred to as walk-off "walks" because it ends the game.

I guess whenever the losers( visitors) must walk off as instant losers, it qualifies.

A meaningless stat, trumped only by the "game-winning RBI" which applies to the run that took the final lead.
                You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

A walk-off home run is a term coined by famous relief pitcher Dennis Eckersley to signify a home run that immediately ends the game, so named because after the run is scored, the players can "walk off" the field. In order for this to happen, a member of the home team must hit a home run in the bottom of the last inning to either come from behind or break a tie. This type of home run is also called "sayonara home run," "sayonara" meaning "good-bye" in Japanese. The name initially meant that the pitcher walked off the field with his head hung in shame, but changed over time to mean that the batter, by necessity of the home team, would walk off the field to the cheers of the crowd.

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Originally posted by thaikarate1
                    Why do they always said walk off, when a team win in their last at bat?

Can't believe I aited this late in the season to ask. Just that my Padres has been doing that lately.
                    I agree. It drives me crazy. ESPN overuses the term "Walk Off".

Recently, a team scored a run to win their game on an infield single with two outs. The batter ran full speed to beat out the throw. The next morning on ESPN they called it a walk off single.

Comment

Working...
                    X