Gary Matthews Jr Comments on Fenway and Sox Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Matthews Jr Comments on Fenway and Sox Fans

Made me think of a few choice sox fans....

RED SOX NOTEBOOK
    Harsh words heard from coast to coast

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | August 14, 2007
    There was some Red Sox bashing in the air over the weekend, some that didn't have anything to do with Eric Gagné, Terry Francona, or Theo Epstein.
    Orioles broadcaster Joe Angel ripped Fenway Park during the Sox-Orioles game Sunday, calling it a "toilet," while in Anaheim, Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. made certain his visit to Boston this weekend won't be overlooked, as he ripped Sox fans.
    "They're loud, they're drunk, they're obnoxious," Matthews told a cluster of reporters, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.
    "They're one of the few places you'll hear racial comments . . . it's just different."
    Matthews, who actually said he enjoyed playing in Boston and was smiling through much of his riff, was responding to a question about why the Angels have fared so poorly on their visits here. Since May 18, 2003, the Angels are 4-15 at Fenway.
    "It's different from New York," said Matthews. "Yankee fans are passionate about their teams, but they're a little more couth. They have a little more class than Boston fans. At least in New York they appreciate guys who play the game hard and play the game right and they let you know it.
    "In Boston, they just smack you for three straight days. They're just dogging you there the whole time. It's a different place."
    Meanwhile, veteran broadcaster Angel, responding to characterizations of Oriole Park at Camden Yards as "Fenway South" because of all the Sox fans there this weekend, said that was an insult to Camden Yards, which is a "beautiful ballpark" while Fenway is "basically a toilet."
    Several Sox fans listening to the Orioles broadcast e-mailed the Globe to note Angel's remark.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives.

I couldn't agree more with Jr....

Comment

Love it...I will be there Sunday to 'smack' Junior around some more!!!
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

So sad all that hatred. Why cant we all just accept others as we would like to be accepted
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
          So sad all that hatred. Why cant we all just accept others as we would like to be accepted
          I just busted a nut.....
          Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville

Shut up douche bag

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
              Shut up douche bag

I love you
              [email protected]

Comment

Awwwww ... Do these guys need a hug?

Comment

I've been to a ton of games at Fenway in several different sections and i can honestly say i've never heard a racial slur once. The fact Matthews said all this with a smile on his face should tell you something too. Is he really that bothered by it or is he setting up a fun weekend in Fenway?

Hell, the place is a toilet. If you put ear rings on a pig, it is still a pig. The Green Monster seats are not a toilet though. They are fairly new and one of the hardest and most demanded tickets in sports, not just baseball. It is AWESOME up there.

The real joke is Camden yards being Fenway South. That whole team is embarrassed by that. Just read the comments. Say what you will about Fenway but i guarantee one thing, Baltimore would die for a fan base like Boston has.

Comment

Sounds about right.
                    Every
                    Villain
                    Is
                    Lemons

Comment

I'm an Orioles fan first....then a Yankee fan, but I have to tell you since Ortiz started doing the ESPN commercials and now I find out the BoSox fans and stadium have character and todays primadonna athletes are complaining about this. I'm gaining some respect here for my nemisis team.....Before you know it I will see a Ben Affleck movie!
                      Remember the three R's:
                      Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Originally posted by rwall
                        I'm an Orioles fan first....then a Yankee fan, but I have to tell you since Ortiz started doing the ESPN commercials and now I find out the BoSox fans and stadium have character and todays primadonna athletes are complaining about this. I'm gaining some respect here for my nemisis team.....Before you know it I will see a Ben Affleck movie!
                        LMAO ... Hey, Good Will Hunting was a good movie!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
                          LMAO ... Hey, Good Will Hunting was a good movie!
                          I am a BIG fan of Elektra!!!
                          Remember the three R's:
                          Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
                            I've been to a ton of games at Fenway in several different sections and i can honestly say i've never heard a racial slur once. The fact Matthews said all this with a smile on his face should tell you something too. Is he really that bothered by it or is he setting up a fun weekend in Fenway?

Hell, the place is a toilet. If you put ear rings on a pig, it is still a pig. The Green Monster seats are not a toilet though. They are fairly new and one of the hardest and most demanded tickets in sports, not just baseball. It is AWESOME up there.

The real joke is Camden yards being Fenway South. That whole team is embarrassed by that. Just read the comments. Say what you will about Fenway but i guarantee one thing, Baltimore would die for a fan base like Boston has.

i concur with Wayne,.......The monster seats are the BOMB...i was lucky enough to be up there for 2 games.....Fenway has gotten better than it was....No more pissing in a trough......And the concessions are better than ever......

However the fans are rabid...win or lose......Sometimes that is great sometimes it goes overboard.....I have seen it both ways where Yankee fans were assholes as well as the Sox.....

All i know is if Fenway had 60K seats they would sell out....Look at the crowds they draw on the road

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
                              Shut up douche bag

Fuck you dwarf
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X