Petty has broken hand, Michigan status uncertain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petty has broken hand, Michigan status uncertain

Kyle Petty suffered a broken hand as a result of hitting his hand on a door inside the No. 45 hauler after a Lap 69 incident in Sunday's race at Watkins Glen.

Petty had early problems -- by Lap 9 he was seven laps down to the leaders -- and his day got worse when the engine grenaded and left a trail of fire. It was his first DNF of the season in 17 starts.

After being treated and released at the infield care center, Petty flew home to North Carolina where he was treated by a doctor who determined that the hand was broken.

Petty finished 43rd and remained 37th in the point standings.

His status for this week's race at Michigan remains uncertain. In 51 starts at Michigan he has three top-five finishes and 10 top-10s. He best run at the 2-mile track was a third-place finish on June 28, 1987.

Petty sat out five races earlier this season -- including the Cup Series event at Michigan on June 17 -- while doing broadcast work during TNT's "Summer Series." John Andretti qualified 37th and finished 27th that day.

If Petty cannot drive, Andretti will not be an option. He has signed with BAM Racing for the remainder of the season as driver of the No. 49 car.

Petty has one top-10 finish -- third at Charlotte -- this season with an average finish of 28.6.

Petty sucks
    Questions, comments, complaints:
    [email protected]

Comment

I need another pick for this weekend. Who do you like
      [email protected]

Comment

Have you used Carl Edwards? He won the first race here this year. And to be real honest and not sound like a homer, I really look for Dale Jr to challenge for the win this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
          Have you used Carl Edwards? He won the first race here this year. And to be real honest and not sound like a homer, I really look for Dale Jr to challenge for the win this weekend.

I havent used Edwards, but i have used Dale.

thanks
          [email protected]

Comment

Wouldn't you think he was use to this by now.I could see Tony or Gordon who believes they should be up front every week but Kyle(not just Kyle but all of Petty) has been bad for years.Unless Petty joins a raceteam like ginn did with DEI they will be done within 3 years.The good ole boys of racing are done and the computer geeks are what everyone is after.

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville
              I havent used Edwards, but i have used Dale.

thanks
              Dont forget Truex either.5 mor laps and he beats edwards this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan
                Dont forget Truex either.5 mor laps and he beats edwards this year.

I have used Truex, but thanks for the input
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan
                  Wouldn't you think he was use to this by now.I could see Tony or Gordon who believes they should be up front every week but Kyle(not just Kyle but all of Petty) has been bad for years.Unless Petty joins a raceteam like ginn did with DEI they will be done within 3 years.The good ole boys of racing are done and the computer geeks are what everyone is after.
                  That's exactly what I thought when I read this article this morning. It's not like he was having a great run and had this happen. I can see Petty joining with Penske in the future to make a 4 car team.

Comment

Pussy...can't drive because his hand hurts? WTF?
                    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Working...
                    X