X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Bob?

Does anyone have Dr Bob's college football picks for this weekend? Thanks

hERE IS dR bOB sPORTS pICK!!!

In coach Gary Crowton’s first year at BYU in 2001, the Cougars averaged an incredible 44 points per game in route to a 12-2 season. The losses of star quarterback Brandon Doman and super running back Luke Staley were too much to overcome and the offense staggered to a sub-par 22.7 points per game last season. Things should be better offensively for the Cougars this season with sophomore Matt Berry installed as the starting quarterback and with RB Marcus Whalen back for his junior season after putting up pretty good numbers last year (918 yards at 5.1 ypr). Berry started the last 6 games in 2002 and the pass attack improved a bit, but the Cougars still averaged just 5.6 yards per pass play in those games despite facing a schedule of teams that combined to allow 6.5 yppp on defense. Berry was fine when he had time to deliver the ball, as evidenced by his solid 7.1 yards per pass attempt, but he took far too many sacks and was not supported by a good rushing attack in his 6 starts (just 3.7 yards per rushing play – national average is 4.6 yprp). The offensive line should be a bit better this season and Berry is likely to improve in his sophomore season, but I’ll still call for BYU’s attack to be just average. Georgia Tech’s defense could have been very good this season, but returning starters DE Hargrove and DT Malone were ruled ineligible for the season and the availability and level of play of star DE Greg Gathers is in doubt. Gathers suffered from the effects of a kidney disease and missed most of last season after dominating the ACC the prior two seasons and he’s now listed as expected to miss this game after just limited practice time this summer. The Yellow Jackets’ defense was only about average after losing Gathers following the 3rd game last season, allowing 5.3 yards per play to a schedule of teams that combined to average 5.4 yppl on offense for the season, and they’ll likely start this season at that same level with the loss of 2 more good defensive linemen and a less experienced secondary. BYU’s attack should put up a decent number of points here at home. I don’t expect much from the Yellow Jackets’ offense in this game against a very good BYU stop unit that returns 10 starters from last year’s solid group that yielded 5.2 yppl against a schedule of good offensive teams that averaged 5.5 yppl on the season. Georgia Tech’s attack took a hit when star back Tony Hollings was ruled academically ineligible and I don’t see new quarterback Reggie Ball being good enough to carry the offense. Hollings was leading the nation in rushing when he was injured in the 4th game of the season. The Yellow Jackets averaged just 4.4 yprp the rest of the season (against teams that allowed 4.6 yprp on defense) and I don’t expect them to be much better than an average running team without Hollings, even with a solid offensive line leading the way. The Ramblin’ Wreck averaged just 5.6 yards per pass play (against teams that allowed 6.1 yppl on defense) while senior quarterback A.J. Suggs managed a paltry 6.2 yards per attempt (the national average is 7.0 ypa). Coach Chan Gailey has decided to go with the freshman Ball at quarterback and I doubt that he’ll be much better. The Georgia Tech receiving corps is average at best and there doesn’t appear to be any big play receivers to stretch a very strong BYU secondary, which rates as the best in the Mountain West this season. I rated the Georgia Tech offense to be a bit worse than average this season with senior Suggs at quarterback and I don’t see them moving the ball consistently with a freshman quarterback making his first start in the thin air of Provo against a tough and confusing Cougars’ 3-3-5 blitzing defense. BYU lost 19-28 as a 9 ½ point underdog at Georgia Tech last season, but the Cougars should get their revenge tonight.

Check The BoDog Line: NFL | MLB | All Events

About the Author:
    A Cal Berkeley graduate specializing in Statistics, Dr. Bob has developed a unique method of combining situational analysis, fundamental indicators, and game valuation models which consistently generate profitable results, including a 62% record in CFB Best Bets.

Comment

from ***********.com
      2* best bets
      wisc, buf, smu, n tex, duke, kan st,

Comment

Thank you.

Here are the rest for Saturday:

2* Wisconsin -3
        2* Duke +15.5
        2* Buffalo +12.5
        2* SMU +24
        2* North Texas +32.5
        2* Kansas State -37

Comment

Morgantown

can be a tough place to play and they have a very good running back that can help keep the ball out of Wisconsins hands also.

I wouldnt touch this one at all , West Virginia is a decent home team .

JMHO

G.L.

***MMM***

:cool: :cool: :cool:
          " The Wind Does Not Wait For The Tree To Bend "

Comment

Working...
          X