Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB has deal to keep 'Extra Innings' on cable TV

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Baseball struck a deal to keep its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games on cable television, an agreement that likely will allow the sport's new TV network to be available in at least 40 million homes when it launches in 2009.

Baseball announced an exclusive $700 million, seven-year agreement with DirecTV on March 8, but during a hearing last week in Washington, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., pressed baseball to resume talks with iN Demand, which is owned by affiliates of Time Warner, Comcast and Cox. While baseball had set a March 31 deadline, the sides kept negotiating and announced an agreement Wednesday night.

"Our chief goal throughout the process was to ensure that fans would have access to as many baseball games and as much baseball coverage as possible," baseball chief operating officer Bob DuPuy said. "With this agreement, the MLB Channel will launch with an unprecedented platform."

As part of the agreement, iN Demand will make the "Extra Innings" package available to other cable companies, which also would be required to carry the MLB channel.

Baseball will continue to negotiate with Echostar's Dish Network, baseball spokesman Rich Levin said.

The dispute was largely over baseball's desire to have its network on a basic cable tier.

Comment

so can i order MLB extra innings tomorrow or what?
      2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Probably. The deal was just signed and the story was just posted on ESPN.

Comment

this would be great news. i was just getting ready to order mlbtv. but i really didnt wanna have to sit on my PC to watch it.
          2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

This is awesome news!!!

Thank you John Kerry!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

man o man, and i f'ing hate john kerry too. well i gotta say thank you and give him props for this one.

you guys dont have any idea what its like to be a sox fan stuck in yankee country watching nyy/mets games 24/7.
              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

No but i love baseball and i've been spoiled the last few years flipping through 10 games and watching any one i wanted to. I really missed it already after just a few days!

Comment

yes me too, its horrible. seriously. they could told me it would cost $400 and i woulda ponied up the $$$
                  2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

I called and ordered it today as soon as we got power back. The lady on the phone laughed and said they are getting a ton of "Happy" callers ordering the MLB package. She said it is the most popular pay package they have with Wrestlemania a distand 2nd!

It went up a little with the new contract though. It cost $159.90. I usually pay the early bird price for $129 and the regular season price is usually $149. It basically went up about $11 and the lady on the phone said that they had to pull alot of strings to get it. The added money was part of it but i told her that was fine by me. I'm enjoying all the games tonight!

Comment

I just flipped thru (time-warner) and the games are on without ordering.

NCAA Hoops 14-14-1 -2.35 units NFL 2-1 +1 unit
                      NBA 6-7-1 -2.32 units NHL 10-4-1 +3.95 units
                      MLB 6-7-1 -2.95u WNBA 1-0 +1u. NCAAF 3-1 +1.5 u

Comment

that rules
                        DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Yes ... It's a Free preview until April 8th

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
                            Yes ... It's a Free preview until April 8th
                            thanks buddy !!
                            DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Bump for the Free Preview!

Comment

Working...
                              X