MLB Team Win Totals ... Any Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTRESTING ARTICLE I FOUND ABOUT THIS:

Oddsmakers at the Las Vegas Hilton sports book have just posted regular-season victory totals for the 2007 major league baseball season.

One of the most popular forms of season-long baseball betting, season-wins wagering allows gamblers to bet "over" or "under" a projected total of victories for each major league team.

For the 2007 season, totals on the board at the Hilton range from an opening line of 96 1/2 wins for the New York Yankees to an opener of 66 1/2 wins for the Washington Nationals.

The Yankees went 97-65 last year to win the AL East; the Nats finished 71-91, last in the NL East.

Bettors who take what could be called a "macro" approach to baseball season wins might look to play under on the teams with the highest win totals attached to them, and over on the teams carrying the lowest win totals.

Their thinking goes something like this: Professional sports teams tend to gravitate toward their league's mean number of victories over time, and the betting marketplace overvalues the top teams while underrating the cellar-dwellers.

Following this template - betting under the five highest totals and over the five lowest on the baseball betting board - has been a profitable strategy the past two seasons.

Last year this approach yielded a total of 12 plays because the totals of two teams "tied" for the fifth spot. Two years ago it yielded 11 plays.

In 2006 bettors using this angle would have achieved a record of 5-1 playing under the six highest totals, cashing tickets on the Yankees (97 1/2 posted total, 97 actual wins), St. Louis Cardinals (93 1/2, 83), Boston Red Sox (92 1/2, 86), Chicago White Sox (92, 90) and Cleveland Indians (90 1/2, 78) while losing on the New York Mets (90 1/2, 97).

Playing over the six lowest totals went 3-3, winning on the Florida Marlins (66 1/2, 78), Colorado Rockies (69 1/2, 76) and Arizona Diamondbacks (72 1/2, 76) while losing on the Kansas City Royals (63 1/2, 62), Tampa Bay Devil Rays (69, 61) and Baltimore Orioles (72 1/2, 70).

In 2005 playing under the six highest totals went 3-2-1. It won on the Yankees (101 1/2, 95), Minnesota Twins (89 1/2, 83) and Chicago Cubs (89 1/2, 79). It lost on the Cardinals (93 1/2, 100) and L.A. Angels (91 1/2, 95) and pushed on the Red Sox (95, 95).

Playing over the lowest totals in 2005 went 3-1-1. It won on the Nationals (68 1/2, 81), Toronto Blue Jays (69, 80) and Milwaukee Brewers (69, 81). It lost on the Royals (65, 56) and pushed on the Rockies (67, 67).

Overall, that's a record of 14-7-2 (.667), certainly strong enough to make good money at the betting windows.

It's also worth noting that even in this small sample of 23 wagers, there were two pushes, or ties against the posted total. This illustrates the importance of securing the best possible number before betting.

By opening day, it's likely a handful of Las Vegas sports books will have placed baseball season-wins over/unders on the board. It's not unusual for the total on particular team to vary by a half-game or a game - and finding a more attractive betting line by just a half-game on the Rockies and Red Sox would have turned two pushes into winning tickets, raising that 14-7-2 mark to 16-7 (.696).

There are never any guarantees in sports betting, but gamblers subscribing to this strategy will be looking at plays on the following teams under for 2007: Yankees (96 1/2), Red Sox (90 1/2), Angels (89 1/2), Dodgers (88 1/2) and Phillies (88). It's telling that bettors would have to play under three totals in the 80s, more than in 2006 (zero) and 2005 (two) put together.

They'll be looking to go over these teams' posted 2007 regular-season victory totals: Nationals (66 1/2), Royals (67), Devil Rays (67), Pittsburgh Pirates (71 1/2) and Orioles (73 1/2).
    Last edited by GOLDENGREEK; 03-01-2007, 12:52 AM.

Comment

I think the under for the Diamonbacks would be a good play.

Pads, Dods, and Giants will beat them up.
      No bull pen and a very decent start pitchers. that if big unit is healthy

Comment

Giants under will be good also, the west stinks and .500 will win the division, also to many distractions with bonds. UNDER 81
        $100/unit

They are all booger eaters!!!

Comment

DBacks over
          Tigers over
          Braves over

all 3 going 2 win there divisions also

Comment

I've seen a few people like Pitt over. Why?? What am I missing??

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
              Their starting pitching is horrendous tho
              My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                I've seen a few people like Pitt over. Why?? What am I missing??
                I agree. I would take Milwaukee before Pittsburgh. I just DON'T see it!

Comment

I think these threads are really interesting to look at after the saeson is over and say "what were we thinking".

Wayne, I agree with you on the Twins, Liriano and the fact that they play in the same division with some very strong contending teams (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland) scare me on that over.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Atlanta Braves regular season wins
                  103 Over 83 Reg. Season Wins +102

Boston Red Sox regular season wins
                  108 Under 90.5 Reg. Season Wins +110

Chicago Cubs regular season wins
                  110 Under 83.5 Reg. Season Wins -105

Florida Marlins regular season wins
                  122 Under 78 Reg. Season Wins +102

Los Angeles Angels regular season wins
                  128 Under 90.5 Reg. Season Wins -115

New York Mets regular season wins
                  136 Under 89.5 Reg. Season Wins -105

San Diego Padres regular season wins
                  145 Over 83.5 Reg. Season Wins -123

Seattle Mariners regular season wins
                  149 Over 78.5 Reg. Season Wins -108

Texas Rangers regular season wins
                  155 Over 80.5 Reg. Season Wins -104
                  2012 - 2013 NCAAF

21 - 20 - 0

2012 - 2013 NFL

14 - 10 - 1

Comment

I'm sure we will all look foolish at the end of the year Bill!

Comment

phillies over 88.5
                      mets under 89.5
                      cubs under 83.5

i think the phillies are young and hungry.
                      i think the mets are the mets.
                      and the cubs will have pitching injuries all year.

gl everybody!!!!!!

Comment

Bump

Comment

I knew Pittsburgh was gonna be good in 07, 20 years ago I had a dream and this year it will come to fruition

Chuck will be happy

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by BillMill71
                            I think these threads are really interesting to look at after the saeson is over and say "what were we thinking".

Wayne, I agree with you on the Twins, Liriano and the fact that they play in the same division with some very strong contending teams (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland) scare me on that over.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Atlanta Braves regular season wins
                            103 Over 83 Reg. Season Wins +102

Boston Red Sox regular season wins
                            108 Under 90.5 Reg. Season Wins +110

Chicago Cubs regular season wins
                            110 Under 83.5 Reg. Season Wins -105

Florida Marlins regular season wins
                            122 Under 78 Reg. Season Wins +102

Los Angeles Angels regular season wins
                            128 Under 90.5 Reg. Season Wins -115

New York Mets regular season wins
                            136 Under 89.5 Reg. Season Wins -105

San Diego Padres regular season wins
                            145 Over 83.5 Reg. Season Wins -123

Seattle Mariners regular season wins
                            149 Over 78.5 Reg. Season Wins -108

Texas Rangers regular season wins
                            155 Over 80.5 Reg. Season Wins -104

Like i've said before-The Twins always fly under the radar...because of the small market....they have avg. 91 wins the last 5 years and won the division 3 out the past 5 years...yes- losing Liriano will hurt them ...He was 12-3 lastyear before he got hurt....they still won 96 games with no-names....They still have the -CY-MVP-BATTING CHAMP and they are fundamentally sound....Bonser and Garza will fill the void....IMO over 83/84 it is.....

Comment

Originally posted by tash
                              Like i've said before-The Twins always fly under the radar...because of the small market....they have avg. 91 wins the last 5 years and won the division 3 out the past 5 years...yes- losing Liriano will hurt them ...He was 12-3 lastyear before he got hurt....they still won 96 games with no-names....They still have the -CY-MVP-BATTING CHAMP and they are fundamentally sound....Bonser and Garza will fill the void....IMO over 83/84 it is.....
                              There just arent enough games in the AL Central for everyone to win because they play each other so damn much.....3 teams did well last year because KC was damn near futile.......If KC wins a few more as expected and Cleveland wins a few more then Minn, CHW and DET could all end up going under if they just beat on each other

PEACE

Comment

Tigers will go over. Indians will go under.

Comment

Working...
                                X