Chargers hired Norv Turner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers hired Norv Turner

by Marty Caswell- The San Diego Chargers have hired Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner as their next head coach and will announce him at a 1:30 press conference this afternoon.

This will be the third head coaching job for Turner, following a six-year stint with the Washington Redskins from 1994-1999 that produced two winning seasons, and a dismal stint with the Oakland Raiders in 2004-2005.

The 54-year old Turner has compiled a 59-83-1 record as head coach but previously served with the Chargers as offensive coordinator in 2001.

Turner interviewed with the Chargers on Thursday and spoke of his comfort level with the organization and the potential of working with such a potent offense.

"It was a lot of fun for me to get back and spend time with Dean and A.J.,” Turner said. “We talked about everything you could possibly talk about from personnel to coaches to football philosophy. I think there’s a comfort level for me because I have been here and know a lot of the people involved.”

“The thing that strikes me and impresses me the most having coached against them is it’s a very young team,” Turner said. “It’s only going to continue to get better. That part of it in terms of the opportunity is extremely exciting.”

Turner was credited with the breakout season by 49ers quarterback Alex Smith and would inherit an offense already laden with superstars such as LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates and Philip Rivers.

we are fucked next year.

Comment

surely even Norv can't fuck this one up
      updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
      NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

The worst decision of all time.

Comment

Yes, he can.

Comment

Welcome the "Crater" to S.D.!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
              Welcome the "Crater" to S.D.!!!!!

The Talk radio guys just can't believe this.

Comment

LMAO ... Good Luck!!!

Comment

Can LT have another MVP year. We will need him to double what he did last year.

Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by thaikarate1
                    Can LT have another MVP year. We will need him to double what he did last year.

Is this possible?
                    Their schedule will be VERY tough because of their record and i'm not a Turner fan at all. I think it will be tough for some of those players to have career years again (maybe).

Comment

The mistake was letting Marty go. Although I believe that Turner will be OK with this group.
                      Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

they could hire the San Diego Chicken and win the AFC West though

Comment

This is just hilarious. Is SD's owner insane????

He lets offensive coordinator Cameron go to Miami and defensive coordinator Phillips to go to Dallas. Then he fires Schottenheimer.

So he hires the biggest retread ever?????

By the way, do not underestimate Norv Turner's ability to screw this up. Very few teams have total coaching staff upheaval and make it work.

With the talent SD has, they have a very attractive job. Why wouldn't they have made a monster offer to Pete Carroll or someone with more credibility? Even Mike Sherman would have been a better hire.

Comment

early feedback on local sports radio is not good....turner sounds nervous and scattered in his press conference and that won't exactly get people fired up....there will be a lot of backlash coming from san diego because it was sounding like rex ryan was the guy and now it is obvious - a.j. smith is running the team, norv is a perfect puppet who will not challenge personnel decisions and will easily allow ted cottrell to come in and take over the defense and to keep continuity on both sides of the ball

Comment

This just shows what Marty was saying is true. I agree they needed a puppet and they got one!
                              "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Comment

Working...
                              X