Free Agent Signings Are Way Overrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agent Signings Are Way Overrated

Lugo....Drew....Schmidt.....Soriano. Big headlines but I just yawn.

Most players on the free agent market are there because their own teams don't even want to keep them (Carlos Lee for example).

Almost all are over 30 and may have their best years behind them.

Trades usually make more of an impact than free agent signings. Who, for example, would have thought the Cardinals pickup of Jeff Weaver would turn out to be the deal of the year? But he, as much as anyone else, is the reason they won the World Series.

But I think way more important than free agent signings is who a team's rookies are going to be. Look at the Tigers staff of 06. Look at the Marlins future. Look at the talent of guys like Ryan Zimmerman, Prince Fielder and all the other top rookies of 06. All made more of an impact than most free agents.

I think teams are overpaying for guys who will have little impact in 07

Well-stated.

The development of a pitching staff through the farm system is paramount to developing a deep staff, and these FA's are taking advantage of the system to get way more than they are actually worth, as teams feel pressure to make big-name additions to the team in the off-season.
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold
      Lugo....Drew....Schmidt.....Soriano. Big headlines but I just yawn.

Most players on the free agent market are there because their own teams don't even want to keep them (Carlos Lee for example).

Almost all are over 30 and may have their best years behind them.

Trades usually make more of an impact than free agent signings. Who, for example, would have thought the Cardinals pickup of Jeff Weaver would turn out to be the deal of the year? But he, as much as anyone else, is the reason they won the World Series.

But I think way more important than free agent signings is who a team's rookies are going to be. Look at the Tigers staff of 06. Look at the Marlins future. Look at the talent of guys like Ryan Zimmerman, Prince Fielder and all the other top rookies of 06. All made more of an impact than most free agents.

I think teams are overpaying for guys who will have little impact in 07

The TIGERS have made out pretty well in free agency the last couple of years.....they were one of the worse and in the world series this year? If GM's can pull of the right moves, any team can have hopes of being like the Tigers...therefor the frenzy

Comment

Billy Beane does it right, when his pitchers start the downswing and are ready for the big payout he trades them for minor leaguers or gets draft picks, yet he's always competitive. I would love to see what he could do with payroll like the Yankees.

Comment

jeff weaver was not a trade the cards sign him off waivers from the angels so thats more like a free agent than a trade???but i understand what your saying

Comment

Working...
          X