X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield a Tiger!

BREAKING NEWS
    Tigers acquire Sheffield from Yankees
    The Tigers get veteran slugger Gary Sheffield from the Yankees for three minor league pitchers, the team has announced. Sheffield also agrees to a two-year contract extension with Detroit.

Originally posted by Hockeytown
    BREAKING NEWS
    Tigers acquire Sheffield from Yankees
    The Tigers get veteran slugger Gary Sheffield from the Yankees for three minor league pitchers, the team has announced. Sheffield also agrees to a two-year contract extension with Detroit.
    NICE!! Now maybe we can keep these 3 pitchers and bring them up instead of trading them for other washed up offensive batters..

Comment

Originally posted by TMAC951
      NICE!! Now maybe we can keep these 3 pitchers and bring them up instead of trading them for other washed up offensive batters..

Tmac, i'm fucking loving this trade!! This Humberto Sanchez kid is gonna be a good #3 for us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovedoc
        Tmac, i'm fucking loving this trade!! This Humberto Sanchez kid is gonna be a good #3 for us!!!
        He had elbow problems to end the season.....I dont even know the other two........Im sure Cashman got nothing Dombrowski wasnt willing to give up

PEACE

Comment

Three good prospects gone but now Kenny Rogers will have someone his own age to play with. This will also stop the talk about Barry Bonds coming to town. Barry's bat is not worth the disruption he would cause to the team. IMO

Comment

Whelan, 22, ranked third among all Tigers Minor League pitchers with 27 saves in 2006, going 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA in 51 games for the Class A Lakeland Tigers. He limited opposing hitters to a .178 batting average (33-for-185) and held right-handed hitters to a .158 average (18-for-114). In addition to being named a top prospect in the NY-Penn League following the 2005 season, Whelan also ranked as the 10th-best prospect in the entire Tigers organization according to Baseball America. He was originally selected by the Tigers in the fourth round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft out of Texas A&M University.

Claggett, 22, posted a 7-2 record with a team-best 0.91 ERA and 14 saves in 51 games for Class A West Michigan in 2006 (59 1/3 innings, 35 hits, seven runs, six earned, 20 walks and 58 strike outs). He held opposing hitters to a .174 batting average (35-for-201) and did not allow a run in his final 10 appearances of the season. He was selected by the Tigers in the 11th round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft out of UC Riverside.

Comment

I agree buddy!! Sure Sheffield is going to another AL team and im sure he will be out for blood and trying so hard to make us feel bad and regret traiding him but IMO this is one of the smartest moves Cashman has ever made since he has been in this position..

Comment

We have tons of prospects now that Dombrowski is running the show........we are desperate for big time hitters as Maggs is a nice player but obviously not a game changer.......Sheffield has peaked but IMO better then anything we had........Im assuming he will share RF with Maggs and alot of DH and some spot starts at 1B and LF

I think its a nice deal..........next we have to decide if we are gonna break the bank for Bonderman or ship him to Texas for Texeira..........personally I say ship him to Texas and let Miner or Ledezma take his place.........Texeira would make our lineup very potent.......as far as the Yankees are concerned I doubt any of those 3 will ever play for them........theyll prolly get shipped at the deadline

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
                  We have tons of prospects now that Dombrowski is running the show........we are desperate for big time hitters as Maggs is a nice player but obviously not a game changer.......Sheffield has peaked but IMO better then anything we had........Im assuming he will share RF with Maggs and alot of DH and some spot starts at 1B and LF

I think its a nice deal..........next we have to decide if we are gonna break the bank for Bonderman or ship him to Texas for Texeira..........personally I say ship him to Texas and let Miner or Ledezma take his place.........Texeira would make our lineup very potent.......as far as the Yankees are concerned I doubt any of those 3 will ever play for them........theyll prolly get shipped at the deadline

PEACE
                  Have u not been reading what Sheff has been saying?? he DOES NOT want to play 1st base or DH.. Thats the entire reason as to why we shipped his ass off.. GL getting him to play another position other than RF..

Comment

detroit will definately have a better offense with sheff.... But, tell me more about that sanchez kid MCP... He was wanted in alot of trades at the deadline...

Comment

detroit will definately have a better offense with sheff.... But, tell me more about that sanchez kid MCP... He was wanted in alot of trades at the deadline...
                      Updated: Nov. 10, 2006, 4:35 PM ET
                      Tigers deal three pitchers to Yankees for SheffieldESPN.com news services

Detroit has acquired Gary Sheffield from the New York Yankees for three right-handed pitching prospects, the Tigers announced Friday.

In return for Sheffield, the Tigers sent Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett to New York. Detroit agreed to a two-year contract extension with Sheffield through the 2009 season.

The moves comes days after Sheffield blasted Yankees management and said Bobby Abreu, the player who took Sheffield's place in New York's outfield, isn't as good a player as he is. The Yankees exercised their $13 million option on Sheffield last weekend, preventing him from becoming a free agent, and asked him for a list of teams to which he'd like a trade.

"Everybody knows when I go to another team, I'm coming back looking for you. That's just the way it is," he said earlier this week. "When you let me go, I've got a chip on my shoulder, and I'm coming with it. That's how I play the game."

He'll have the chance to prove it again by moving across the AL to the Tigers, who stunned the Yankees in the playoffs on the way to the World Series.

Sheffield, a 19-year veteran and nine-time All-Star who has played for Milwaukee, San Diego, Florida, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Braves and Yankees, has a .297 career batting average, 455 home runs and 1,501 RBI in 2,229 games. He's sixth among active players in RBI and seventh in home runs.

"We have been able to add one of the biggest bats in baseball," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed Sheffield in Florida. "I have a great relationship with Gary Sheffield and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm happy to add a bat of this magnitude and that he'll be a Tiger."

Sanchez, 23, was a combined 10-6 with a 2.53 ERA and 129 strikeouts in 123 innings with Triple-A Toledo and Double-A Erie this year. Whelan, 22, was 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA and 27 saves for Class A Lakeland. Claggett, 22, was 7-2 with an 0.91 ERA and 14 saves for Class A West Michigan.

Comment

Flame throwers bro........if Dombrowski drafts you then you can hit 95 in your sleep..........hes a top prospect but makes no sense for us to keep all these prospects in the minors so I like the move......im sure all of the prospects throw lasers though

As far as Sheffield not playing anything besides RF he has another thing coming.......Leyland dont play that shit

This is only my guess but as long as Sheffield can stay healthy Im thinkin he would get about 80 starts in RF, 50 DH ,10LF and about 10 at 1B and about 10 or 15 games off.......who knows what mgmt is thinkin though

PEACE

Comment

Flame throwers bro........if Dombrowski drafts you then you can hit 95 in your sleep..........hes a top prospect but makes no sense for us to keep all these prospects in the minors so I like the move......im sure all of the prospects throw lasers though

As far as Sheffield not playing anything besides RF he has another thing coming.......Leyland dont play that shit

This is only my guess but as long as Sheffield can stay healthy Im thinkin he would get about 80 starts in RF, 50 DH ,10LF and about 10 at 1B and about 10 or 15 games off.......who knows what mgmt is thinkin though

PEACE

I agree...The tigers are loaded with prospects.. This is what i like to see as a yank fan though... I can only hope they trade Giambi for some pitching as well...

Hughes will predominately be our #1 starter when he comes up... Hughes, Wang and Sanchez as our 1,2,3.. I will have to love that!!! Looking for the future bro!! woohooo

Comment

PEACE
                            What about Maroth. Isn't he coming back too?

Comment

I think it was a great trade for both teams. Detroit needed a big stick at DH to fill that void and sheffield will be perfect and hopefully injury free without having to play the field. They also have a BUNCH of young pitching talent already on the ML roster and there was no need to have those prospects just sit in the minors for the next few years waiting for a turn.

The Yankees pretty much had zero need for Sheffield and his mouth made him a goner. They also desperately needed some younger arms and they achieved that nicely in this deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X