Its a Start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its a Start..

Oh well not one of the pitchers out there that I wanted the Yanks to pick up but its another arm that we have..

Updated: July 13, 2006, 5:22 PM ET
    Yankees add Ponson to help fill out rotationBy Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com

Right-hander Sidney Ponson, who became a free agent when he was released by the St. Louis Cardinals, has reached agreement on a deal with the New York Yankees, ESPN.com has learned.

Ponson, 4-4 with a 5.24 ERA in 14 appearances with St. Louis this season, lost his spot in the rotation when the Cardinals signed Jeff Weaver. Since Ponson cleared waivers Wednesday, the Yankees will be responsible for the pro-rated portion of the minimum salary for the rest of this season. St. Louis will pay the rest of Ponson's $1 million salary.

Ponson helps fill a void at the back end of Joe Torre's rotation. Mike Mussina, 10-3 with a 3.24 ERA, is the only New York starter with an ERA under 4.00.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday the deal "made sense, compared to everything else that was available to us."

Once among baseball's more promising pitchers, Ponson's career has been derailed by alcohol problems. Baltimore released him last September, saying his behavior gave them grounds to terminate his contract.

Ponson is set to make his first start for the Yankees on Tuesday night at home against Seattle.

"He's still got a great arm," Cashman said.

Ponson won 17 games in 2003 when he pitched for Baltimore and San Francisco, but has struggled on and off the field since then.

Ponson was convicted last December of driving while impaired and sentenced to five days in jail -- his arrest in August marked his third drunk driving offense. The pitcher also spent 11 days in jail in his native Aruba after fighting on a beach.

Cashman said the Yankees believe Ponson is worth the risk because he's made changes to his life. Ponson is expected to fly into New York on Friday.

"It's hard to upgrade your pitching, it really is," Cashman said. "Hopefully, this is something that will work out for us. It's low risk and hopefully we'll get some upside out of this."

Way Even Acquire Anyone They Wont Be Playing Post Season.............. I LOVE IT....
    Last edited by bover1; 07-13-2006, 05:36 PM.
    MY MEAT IN THE HOT DESERT.......

Comment

Originally posted by bover1
      Way Even Aquire Anyone They Wont Be Playing Post Season.............. I LOVE IT....
      Im gonna keep this post very handy just incase.. Last time i checked they are only 3 games back with half a season to go.. Guess you dont remember when the Yanks caught Boston and beat them in the playoff on the last weekend of the season.. 8 straight division titles and havent missed the playoffs since 1993.. All the shit they have been through and still only 3 games back.. Gotta make Boston think a little..

Comment

Originally posted by bover1
        Way Even Acquire Anyone They Wont Be Playing Post Season.............. I LOVE IT....

I couldnt agree more Bover It will be nice not seeing the Yankmees in the post season

Sorry T but i hate those buy a championship overspending tools
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

I'm not a Yankee hater at all - in fact, I hate the way people hate them, as they are classy, IMO - but regardless, when you're picking up a pitcher the Cardinals waived and an outfielder the Royals waived, there are serious issues.
          Records:

NCAA Hoops (38-34-2, +4.59*)
          NFL Sides (34-25, +12.15*)
          NFL Totals (18-14-1, +8.23*)
          NCAA Foots Plays (65-48-4, +21.47*)
          NBA Plays (4-1-0, +5.92*)

Comment

Not impressed with that pickup, although I know the pickings are slim right now.

Cashman has his work really cut out for him this month.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
              Not impressed with that pickup, although I know the pickings are slim right now.

Cashman has his work really cut out for him this month.
              "Fatboy"Ponson is about equal to Snyder-the guy Sox got from KC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrows Paper
                I'm not a Yankee hater at all - in fact, I hate the way people hate them, as they are classy, IMO - but regardless, when you're picking up a pitcher the Cardinals waived and an outfielder the Royals waived, there are serious issues.

Yeah, real classy how A-Rod didn't show up to a baseball clinic he was suppose to run monday and an event he was suppose to MC on sunday.
                Good Luck to everyone
                Adam

Richie: [after Gus hits a homerun] Wow and he did it without steroids.
                Clark: What's steroids?
                Richie: Something that makes your pee-pee smaller.
                Clark: There must be steroids in macaroni!

Comment

Originally posted by meaiken
                  Yeah, real classy how A-Rod didn't show up to a baseball clinic he was suppose to run monday and an event he was suppose to MC on sunday.

Sorry my bad, he showed up to the clinic 2 hours late said "HI" and left.
                  Good Luck to everyone
                  Adam

Richie: [after Gus hits a homerun] Wow and he did it without steroids.
                  Clark: What's steroids?
                  Richie: Something that makes your pee-pee smaller.
                  Clark: There must be steroids in macaroni!

Comment

LMAO NYY gets BF ponson. why didnt they just aquire me???

wait a second.........incoming call......caller id says B. Cashman i better answer

later guys
                    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
                      LMAO NYY gets BF ponson. why didnt they just aquire me???

wait a second.........incoming call......caller id says B. Cashman i better answer

later guys
                      I agree Ponson sucks, but trying to use you and a 40 MPH fastball would be a even bigger joke.

On the other side Jeff Weaver is no prize either.

Comment

Working...
                      X