Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack

Major league leaders in RBI
    89— Jose Abreu CWS/Rafael Devers Bos
    88— Vladimir Guerrero, Tor
    87— Shohei Ohtani, LAA
    86— Jesus Aguilar, Mia
    84— Duvall Atl, THernandez Tor, Albies Atl
    81— Austin Meadows, TB

Armadillo: Thursday's Den: Doing some thinking out loud…….

13) Arizona Diamondbacks’ TV analyst Bob Brenly told a somewhat odd story on the air last night; there was guy named named Richie Ashburn who was a great ballplayer- he’s in the Hall of Fame. Played for the Phillies in the 50’s.

Ashburn is playing one day and fouls a ball off that hits a woman in the stands in the head- the doctor comes over, they put her on a stretcher to get her medical attention, but in the meantime, Ashburn hits another foul ball and…….hits the woman while she is laying on the stretcher.

What are the odds of that?

12) I bought a new car Wednesday, first time in 14 years. Friday I’ll be trading in my beloved maroon Nissan Rogue that I’ve been driving for long time now, and I’ll pick up the keys to a new Nissan Rogue, a blue one. The old car has been making some strange noises lately, figured it was time to get a new one.

I don’t drive a whole lot, just locally; 14 years, only 44,000 miles. Most of the time I wander more than three miles away from my house, it is in an airplane to/from Las Vegas.

11) San Francisco Giants by month this season:
    April: 16-10
    May: 18-10
    June: 16-9
    July: 15-10
    August: 13-4

Very consistent.

10) Then there are the Oakland A’s, who started the season 1-6, then won 13 games in a row, but now have lost five of last six games, and figure to be without Chris Bassitt for the rest of season after his facial fractures Tuesday night.

A’s are tied for the second Wild Card; they need to get home and win some games. They play their crosstown rival Giants this weekend.

9) Freddie Freeman hit for the cycle Wednesday, on his first four AB’s; it is second time he’s hit for the cycle, the only Atlanta Brave to do it twice.

8) Mets’ SS Jonathan Villar has been picked off seven times this season; no one else in the majors has been picked off more than four times.

7) As I’m typing this, Corey Seager just hit an opposite field home run for the Dodgers, and this kid, a lefty, maybe 12 years old, catches it in between bunch of people. Heck of a catch.

6) Dodgers aren’t using any of their starting pitchers against Pittsburgh this week, and they’re going to sweep the Pirates. It sucks rooting for a team that doesn’t try to win. Dodgers have now won 16 games in a row against Pittsburgh.

I root for the A’s, who have been in that boat a few times over the years; you wonder why their owner bothers to even have a team? If you’re not trying to win, go buy some other business and get involved in that. There are only 30 major league teams; they all should try to win.

5) Royals 3, Astros 2— Altuve got a clutch hit that appeared to tie the game with two out in the 9th, but Andrew Benitendi threw the runner out at the plate to end the game. Close decision for the replay ump; I would’ve called him safe, and I was rooting for the Royals.

4) Houston starter Zack Greinke tossed six innings, faced 22 hitters, threw 85 pitches, with no walks and no strikeouts. That doesn’t happen much these days.

3) Toronto Blue Jays are 9-2 in last 11 home games, 7-14 in last 21 road games.

2) Milwaukee starter Freddie Peralta left Wednesday’s game after two innings with a shoulder issue; hard to tell if he hurt it batting or not, but he whiffed just before he left the game.

Two points: #1 Peralta has been brilliant this season, going 9-3, 2.45 in 121 IP. Problem is, this is his 4th year in the major leagues, during which he has thrown:

2018: 78.1 IP
    2019: 85 IP
    2020: 29.1 IP
    2021: 121.1 IP

Baseball trainers believe that if you throw 20% more innings this year than last year, it greatly improves your chances of getting hurt. Peralta has thrown 412% more innings this year than last.

#2, the National League needs the DH already!!! Enough with pitchers getting hurt while they swing a bat. No one pays to watch them hit.

1) Pet peeve of mine: Third base coaches should not be allowed to be closer to home plate than the coaches’ box. One of them could get hurt. They draw the coaches’ box for a reason.

In a game last night, lefty is late on his swing and hits a sharp ground ball to his left— it drills the third base coach in the foot. The coach is probably 20 feet closer to home plate than he should be— if that ball is in the air, he could get drilled in the face with it.

Comment

WNBA

Thursday, August 19

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Trend Report
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota @ Connecticut
      Minnesota
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Minnesota's last 5 games when playing Connecticut
      Minnesota is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games
      Connecticut
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Connecticut's last 5 games when playing Minnesota
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Connecticut's last 5 games

Washington @ Phoenix
      Washington
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games when playing on the road against Phoenix
      The total has gone OVER in 10 of Washington's last 13 games when playing Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Phoenix is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Washington
      Phoenix is 11-2 SU in its last 13 games when playing at home against Washington

Atlanta @ Los Angeles
      Atlanta
      The total has gone OVER in 9 of Atlanta's last 10 games on the road
      The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Atlanta's last 13 games when playing on the road against Los Angeles
      Los Angeles
      Los Angeles is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Atlanta
      The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Los Angeles's last 13 games when playing at home against Atlanta

Last edited by Udog; 08-19-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

WNBA
        Dunkel

Thursday, August 19

Comment

Working...
        X