Armadillo: Tuesday's six-pack

Top six teams in the college football preseason top 25:
    6) Texas A&M
    5) Georgia
    4) Ohio State
    3) Clemson
    2) Ohio State
    1) Alabama

Armadillo: Tuesday's Den: Nobody asked me, but……

13) For the purposes of today’s article, we’re going to define a “close win/loss” as one decided by 7 or fewer points.

Over the past 12 years, 84 NFL teams were minus-3 or worse in close games for a season; for instance, last year the Falcons were 1-8, that would be minus-7.

Of those 84 teams, 68 of them had a better record the next year, 14 had a worse record, two had the same record the next year.

These teams were minus-3 or worse last year in close games:
    Atlanta 1-8 in close games, 4-12 overall. 2021 total: 7
    Houston 2-7 (4-12) 2021 total: 5

Bengals 1-5-1 (4-11-1) 2021 total: 6.5
    Jaguars 1-5 (1-15) 2021 total: 6
    Washington 2-5 (7-9) 2021 total: 8
    Panthers 3-6 (5-11) 2021 total: 7.5

12) I got an e-mail the other day: “Bankruptcy could solve your problem!!!” which got me to thinking:

— What exactly is my problem?
    — What do “they” know that I don’t?
    — Does everyone get this many useless e-mails?

Oy.

11) Arizona P Tyler Gilbert threw a no-hitter in his first big league start; first thought that flashed thru my head was “Hey kid, its all downhill from here. LOL”

Gilbert’s next start is at hitter-friendly Coors Field. Good luck with that one.

10) I watch a ton of baseball on TV and there are tons of gambling-related commercials on these games now, mostly with pretty blondes encouraging you to “have some skin in the game”

My question is this: If baseball has embraced gambling this openly., when does Pete Rose get re-instated and put in the Hall of Fame? Kind of hypocritical to have him banned now.

9) 27 of last 29 years, a college football team that was unranked before the season wound up in the top 10 at the end of the season. Only exceptions were last year and 2016.

8) Five teams got #1 votes in this year’s preseason college football poll: Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia.

7) Indiana Hoosiers are ranked #17 in the preseason poll, first time they’ve been ranked in the preseason top 25 since 1968.

6) ESPN hired Alex Smith as an NFL analyst; the guy played 14 years in the league (99-67-1 record as a starter), should provide lot of good insight into what goes on during NFL games.

5) My fantasy baseball league is a weekly format; you play head/head Monday-Sunday. My team is very mediocre (8-9-1) in large part because I’ve done a putrid job of finding a catcher who can hit his way out a paper bag. There just aren’t many catchers who can hit.

In 18 games, I’ve had six different catchers active; have had three other on my roster who never were activated— one of those is a minor league prospect who hopefully ends all this BS next year. Very frustrating, but very few big league catchers are good hitters.

4) San Diego Padres lost P Yu Darvish, signed struggling P Jake Arrieta to replace him, but he’s been doing so badly, the Cubs didn’t even want him. Not sure how much Arrieta will help.

3) Quick reminder that when you draft your fantasy football teams, make sure your QB’s don’t have their bye the same week.

2) If the baseball playoffs started today (they do not):
    NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: San Diego @ Los Angeles
    AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Boston @ Oakland

1) I was surprised by this stat Monday:
    — In 1960, 36% of Americans were 18 years old or younger.
    — Today, only 22% of Americans are 18 or younger.

Comment

]WNBA

Tuesday, August 17

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Trend Report
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota @ Connecticut
      Minnesota
      Minnesota is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
      Minnesota is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
      Connecticut
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Connecticut's last 5 games when playing Minnesota
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Connecticut's last 5 games

Dallas @ Chicago
      Dallas
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Dallas's last 6 games when playing Chicago
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Dallas's last 6 games on the road
      Chicago
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Chicago's last 5 games at home
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Chicago's last 6 games when playing Dallas

Washington @ Las Vegas
      Washington
      The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Washington's last 11 games when playing on the road against Las Vegas
      The total has gone OVER in 10 of Washington's last 14 games
      Las Vegas
      Las Vegas is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Washington
      Las Vegas is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games at home

Indiana @ Phoenix
      Indiana
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Indiana's last 5 games when playing Phoenix
      The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Indiana's last 9 games
      Phoenix
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Phoenix's last 5 games when playing Indiana
      Phoenix is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games when playing Indiana

Atlanta @ Los Angeles
      Atlanta
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Atlanta's last 5 games when playing on the road against Los Angeles
      The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Atlanta's last 9 games when playing Los Angeles
      Los Angeles
      Los Angeles is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Atlanta
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Los Angeles's last 5 games

Comment

WNBA Best Bets for Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021
        Nick Andre

Non-Commissioner's Cup

Minnesota Lynx at Connecticut Sun (Prime Video, 7:00 p.m.)
        Dallas Wings at Chicago Sky (CBSSN, 8:00 p.m.)
        Washington Mystics at Las Vegas Aces (CBSSN, 10:00 p.m.)

Minnesota Lynx at Connecticut Sun
        Score Prediction: Sun 97, Lynx 93

Best Bet: Connecticut -3.5

Who can keep the momentum going after their Sunday victory? With the game being on their home floor, the Connecticut Sun are continuing to thrive in their hopes of a championship. This will be a clash where Jonquel Jones will have to go against a WNBA great, Sylvia Fowles. As the Sun have the odds in their favor, the season coming to a close is what is motivating Jones and her team.

The Minnesota Lynx will need production out of each rotation player to stand a chance. We understand what Napheesa Collier will bring to the table offensively. But can players in Layshia Clarendon and Crystal Dangerfield continue their spark? The Lynx will put up a fight against the Sun. But coming out with a victory seems to be a very low chance of happening.

Jonquel Jones looks to lead the Sun to a win tonight, currently the favorite to win the 2021 WNBA MVP Award. (AP)

Dallas Wings at Chicago Sky
        Score Prediction: Sky 87, Wings 75

Best Bet: Chicago -5.5

This is another important game for Chicago. As the season winds down, these last few games can determine how this team can be going into the postseason. Chicago is coming off of a two point victory against the Seattle Storm Sunday afternoon. Once again, it will be up to Candace Parker to set the tone early for the team.

The Wings are still fighting for a playoff position. Sitting two games behind the Washington Mystics for the eighth seed, these last few games are just as important as well. Dallas will need to tune up their defense to stand a chance. Chicago is a great shooting and thrives off of transition baskets. If head coach Vickie Johnson doesn’t come with a scenario to slow Chicago down, this game could end up as another blowout.

Washington Mystics at Las Vegas Aces
        Score Prediction: Aces 98, Mystics 91

Best Bet: Washington +9.5

Round two of this series. While the Las Vegas Aces were faced with a 21 point deficit in the game, it was the heroics of Aja Wilson, Jackie Young, and Chelsea Gray. The Aces once again have the odds in their favor but need to approach the next game with a better start to the game. Allowing the Mystics to find a rhythm again could allow another blowout and a Mystics win.

It’s safe to say that the Mystics collapsed in the fourth quarter. They took their foot off the gas and got comfortable with their lead. It will be hard for them to redeem themselves after a suffering defeat. The Aces riding momentum alongside home court could allow them to grab another win in this series.

Best Bet Tracker

Connecticut -3.5
        Chicago -5.5
        Washington +9.5

Free Picks - Year to Date Record: 47-34, +12.29 Units

Comment

WNBA
          Dunkel

Tuesday, August 17

Comment

Working...
          X