• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday's WNBA Trends and Indexes - 7/25

Trends and Indexes

Saturday, July 25

Good Luck on day #207 of 2019!

NOTE: As information becomes available, we will attempt to post the trends and indexes as soon as possible.Information is posted from what we believe are reliable sources.Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the posting member or BettorsChat.

Matchup Links

WNBA Matchups

WNBA Hot and Not

WNBA Data Base

Armadillo: Saturday's six-pack

Michigan’s bowl games the last seven years:
    2013– Kansas State L13-31 (+6)
    2015— Florida W41-7 (-4.5)
    2016— Florida State L32-33 (-7)
    2017— South Carolina L19-26 (-8)
    2018— Florida L15-41 (+4.5)
    2019— Alabama L16-35 (+7)

Americans who have died from COVID-19: 145,178
    Please wear a mask when you go out.

Armadillo:Saturday's Den: A running diary of Opening Day

4:11- Jacob deGrom takes the mound as Opening Day on July 24 gets underway; this strangest of seasons started with two games last night- there are 14 games tonight.

deGrom has had some back issues is supposedly under a 75-pitch limit for this game. He is the ace of my fantasy team’s staff; need him to be good.

4:15- Speaking of which, Marlins’ C Jorge Alfaro is on the IL, presumably with COVID-related issues. He is the only catcher on my fantasy roster. It is stunning how few everyday catchers are good hitters. Have to monitor this to see if I need another catcher.

4:25- Atlanta 1B Freddie Freeman is starting at 1B for the 10th straight Opening Day; during that time, Atlanta has started nine left fielders, eight 3rd basemen, seven catchers.

Braves’ top two catchers have COVID-related issues, are back home in Atlanta.

4:35- There are over 6,000 cardboard cutouts at CitiField for this game.

4:45- Having mostly NL pitchers on my fantasy team was relaxing when the opposing pitcher came up, but now with the universal DH, not so much. I like everyone having the DH; we’ll see how teams handle it, whether they will use it as an “off day” for regulars, or have a regular DH.

5:20- deGrom goes five scoreless innings, but because he pitches for the bleeping Mets, it is scoreless after five and deGrom can’t get the win.

Since 2015, deGrom has had 15 starts where he threw 5+ innings and didn’t allow a run, but he won only 8 of those 15 games.

6:30- Mets’ DH Cespedes hit a homer in his first game in two years, New York wins 1-0. Up in heaven somewhere, my dad is happy.

6:50- Thursday’s New York-Washington game got the highest TV ratings of any network broadcast over the last nine years.

7:15- I wanted to watch the Reds because I picked up their new OF Shogo Akiyama, but he is sitting against Detroit’s lefty starter. Oy.

7:30- Good news from Korea- KBO games are going to have fans starting on Sunday, so that is a return to normalcy that is good to hear about.

7:45- Only five regular season fantasy league games before the playoffs start- very short season will be weird. First week is 10 days long; have to study up and see where I need to add players. I have two minor league prospects who aren’t going to play this year— unsure how teams are dealing with those guys in their alternate facilities.

8:10- Flipping between games, spring training for my right thumb; already during Milwaukee, Colorado, Cincinnati broadcasts, have seen the same commercial, a Republican ad with Mike Pence doing all the talking. I seriously want to puke, bit that would screw up my keyboard.

8:15- Akiyama gets in the game after Detroit takes Matthew Boyd out; he singles up the middle, knocks in a run and gets his first MLB hit. Not sure he is good enough to be in my starting lineup but he won five batting titles in Japan- he must be able to hit.

8:30- Last year, Bryce Harper hit .357 with runners in scoring position, .204 with the bases empty.

Whit Merrifield just singled, my team’s first hit of the night.

8:35- I’m saying that pitchers are ahead of the hitters so far. Umpires also seem to be calling more strikes. Paul Nauert had the Mets’ game today; he definitely expanded the zone some, for both sides.

Speaking of umpires, with 10-12 umps opting out this year because of COVID, there are new crew chiefs and somehow, Angel Hernandez is one, despite being a terrible umpire. Yikes.

8:40- My opponent in fantasy ball this week has Kyle Hendricks, and he is throwing a shutout against the Brewers in the 6th inning. No bueno.

Milwaukee has Eric Sogard batting leadoff; why????? Must be his career .318 OB% that is so appealing to them. No, it is his 2-6 mark against Hendricks; even I know he shouldn’t bad leadoff, and I went to a state school.

I’m an A’s fan, I love Sogard, even have one of his t-shirts, but if he plays 3B and bats leadoff for you on Opening Night, you’re not a playoff team.

These over-educated fools who run the Brewers are at it again. I used to have Josh Hader on my team, hoping they would come to their senses and make him a starter again, but no.

10:30- Turned the laptop off for a while and had dinner; Hendricks shut out the Brewers, who have new uniforms that make them look like the Michigan Wolverines.

10:42- Michael Brantley goes yard for Houston, good news for the Armadillos.

Lets catch up on stuff that happened while I was eating:

— Reds 7, Tigers 1— Listening to the Cincinnati broadcast, they have high expectations for this season. Moustakas had three hits, knocked in four runs for the Reds, who haven’t had a winning season since 2013, Dusty Baker’s last year as their manager.

As for Detroit, they’re in a total rebuild.

— Blue Jays 6, Rays 4— Cavan Biggio hit a 3-run homer for Toronto, which found out Friday they’re playing home games this season in Buffalo.

Joe West had the plate in this game; he’s been a major league ump since 1976, when he was 23 years old. Not sure how he became a major league ump that quickly, seeing how he also played college football (East Carolina, Elon) but he did.

— Marlins 5, Phillies 2— Sandy Alcantara allowed three hits in 6.2 IP as Miami gets off to a good start. First four hitters on Philly’s lineup went 1-14.

Miami’s TV crew had team president Michael Hill on during the game and he spews the same old BS he always does; what a farm system we have, we’re building to become perennial contenders, blah, blah, blah. This is another nitwit who went to college in the Ivy League (Harvard), but thought trading Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Realmuto was a good idea.

Bryce Harper wore cleats with fluorescent green laces in them, which clashed a little with the Phillies’ uniforms, but they’ve eliminated rules about shoes, so that’s what you get.

— Indians 2, Royals 0— Only nine hits total in this game, as pitchers seemed to be ahead of the hitters, for the most part all over baseball. Shane Bieber struck out 14 Royals, allowing five runners in six IP.

— Cubs 3, Brewers 0— Milwaukee had three hits, all by 9th-place hitter Orlando Arcia; meanwhile, they had Sogard batting leadoff, which is baseball malpractice. Hendricks went the whole way, allowing three baserunners, striking out nine.

Colorado also had three hits in their game, all by the same guy, leadoff hitter Dahl. Hendricks is the first Cub with an Opening Day shutout since 1974; A’s won the World Series that year, so that’s a good omen.

— Red Sox 13, Orioles 2—Baltimore is another total rebuild; unless they have lot of good young pitchers on the way up, not sure how they’re going to get better anytime soon.

JD Martinez scored twice, knocked in three runs for Boston.

Rangers 1, Rockies 0— First game at Globe Life Field is a pitchers’ duel; Lance Lynn allowed two hits in six innings. Texas didn’t even have a hit until the 6th inning; Rougned Odor knocked in their only run. German Marquez was the tough luck loser.

— Twins 10, White Sox 5— Game was 5-5 after two innings, but Chicago never scored again. Max Kepler homered twice for Minnesota; four of their top five hitters scored twice each.

Minnesota’s bullpen allowed only four baserunners in five shutout innings.

— Cardinals 5, Pirates 4— Tough beat if you played the under; game was 3-0 Cardinals after six innings, but neither bullpen flourished, as St Louis barely held on after entering 9th inning with a 5-2 lead.

I like the cardboard cutouts at games; enjoyed watching baseball for several hours. Its a hell of a lot better than watching the news or re-watching 30-year old ballgames. Hopefully everyone will stay healthy and we can have some entertainment this summer.

Comment

WNBA
      Dunkel

Saturday, July 25

Seattle @ New York

Game 651-652
      July 25, 2020 @ 12:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
      Seattle
      New York
      Dunkel Team:
      Dunkel Line:
      Dunkel Total:
      Seattle
      by 3 1/2
      Vegas Team:
      Vegas Line:
      Vegas Total:
      Seattle
      by 5 1/2
      155 1/2
      Dunkel Pick:
      New York
      (+5 1/2); Over

Los Angeles @ Phoenix

Game 653-654
      July 25, 2020 @ 3:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
      Los Angeles
      Phoenix
      Dunkel Team:
      Dunkel Line:
      Dunkel Total:
      Phoenix
      by 3 1/2
      Vegas Team:
      Vegas Line:
      Vegas Total:
      Los Angeles
      by 4 1/2
      155 1/2
      Dunkel Pick:
      Phoenix
      (+4 1/2); Under

Indiana @ Washington

Game 655-656
      July 25, 2020 @ 5:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
      Indiana
      Washington
      Dunkel Team:
      Dunkel Line:
      Dunkel Total:
      Washington
      by 9 1/2
      Vegas Team:
      Vegas Line:
      Vegas Total:
      Washington
      by 3 1/2
      165 1/2
      Dunkel Pick:
      Washington
      (-3 1/2); Over

WNBA
      Long Sheet

Saturday, July 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEATTLE (0 - 0) vs. NEW YORK (0 - 0) - 7/25/2020, 12:00 PM
      There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

Head-to-Head Series History
      SEATTLE is 4-2 against the spread versus NEW YORK over the last 3 seasons
      SEATTLE is 5-1 straight up against NEW YORK over the last 3 seasons
      4 of 6 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (0 - 0) vs. PHOENIX (0 - 0) - 7/25/2020, 3:00 PM

PHOENIX is 3-3 against the spread versus LOS ANGELES over the last 3 seasons
      LOS ANGELES is 4-2 straight up against PHOENIX over the last 3 seasons
      3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

INDIANA (0 - 0) vs. WASHINGTON (0 - 0) - 7/25/2020, 5:00 PM

WASHINGTON is 3-3 against the spread versus INDIANA over the last 3 seasons
      WASHINGTON is 6-0 straight up against INDIANA over the last 3 seasons
      5 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

WNBA

Saturday, July 25

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Trend Report
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Liberty
      New York is 2-12-1 ATS in its last 15 games
      New York is 2-14 SU in its last 16 games
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of New York's last 7 games
      New York is 0-4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
      New York is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games at home
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of New York's last 6 games at home
      New York is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Seattle
      New York is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games when playing Seattle
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of New York's last 7 games when playing Seattle
      New York is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing at home against Seattle
      New York is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Seattle
      The total has gone UNDER in 8 of New York's last 11 games when playing at home against Seattle
      Seattle Storm
      Seattle is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
      Seattle is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Seattle's last 7 games
      Seattle is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games on the road
      The total has gone UNDER in 15 of Seattle's last 22 games on the road
      Seattle is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing New York
      Seattle is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing New York
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Seattle's last 7 games when playing New York
      Seattle is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against New York
      Seattle is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against New York
      The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Seattle's last 11 games when playing on the road against New York

Phoenix Mercury
      Phoenix is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games
      Phoenix is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
      The total has gone OVER in 6 of Phoenix's last 9 games
      Phoenix is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
      Phoenix is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games at home
      Phoenix is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home
      The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Phoenix's last 7 games at home
      Phoenix is 4-9 ATS in its last 13 games when playing Los Angeles
      Phoenix is 2-11 SU in its last 13 games when playing Los Angeles
      Phoenix is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Los Angeles
      The total has gone OVER in 4 of Phoenix's last 6 games when playing at home against Los Angeles
      Los Angeles Sparks
      Los Angeles is 3-7 ATS in its last 10 games
      Los Angeles is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games
      The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Los Angeles's last 5 games
      Los Angeles is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
      Los Angeles is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games on the road
      Los Angeles is 9-4 ATS in its last 13 games when playing Phoenix
      Los Angeles is 11-2 SU in its last 13 games when playing Phoenix
      Los Angeles is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Phoenix
      The total has gone OVER in 4 of Los Angeles's last 6 games when playing on the road against Phoenix

Washington Mystics
      Washington is 17-4 SU in its last 21 games
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games
      Washington is 9-3 ATS in its last 12 games at home
      Washington is 14-1 SU in its last 15 games at home
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games at home
      Washington is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Indiana
      The total has gone OVER in 7 of Washington's last 8 games when playing Indiana
      Washington is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Indiana
      The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games when playing at home against Indiana
      Indiana Fever
      Indiana is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
      Indiana is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
      Indiana is 8-16 SU in its last 24 games
      The total has gone OVER in 8 of Indiana's last 12 games
      Indiana is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games on the road
      The total has gone OVER in 5 of Indiana's last 7 games on the road
      Indiana is 1-3-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Washington
      Indiana is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Washington
      The total has gone OVER in 7 of Indiana's last 8 games when playing Washington
      Indiana is 1-3-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Washington
      Indiana is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Washington
      The total has gone OVER in 4 of Indiana's last 5 games when playing on the road against Washington

Comment

WNBA Futures Odds

Mystics Look to Defend Title

The WNBA season will begin in late July at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Instead of a 34-game campaign, the league will move to a 22-game slate in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Washington Mystics captured the WNBA championship last season in five games over the Connecticut Sun for the franchise's first title. The Mystics were co-favorites to begin the 2020 season along with the Las Vegas Aces at 7/2 odds (+350), but William Hill made Vegas the favorite at +300 in their most recent odds update.

The two biggest long shots for a WNBA championship are the Dallas Wings and Atlanta Dream, who each sit at 100/1 odds as both teams finished in last place of their respective divisions in 2019.

2019 Finalists Look Vulnerable After Losses

Although the Las Vegas Aces were established as the betting favorite (+300) entering a WNBA season filled with unknowns, it’s not worth riding the ‘chalk’ entering the Bradenton bubble. Center Liz Cambage, one of the most dominant figures in the sport, won’t play in 2020.

The 6-foot-8 Australian holds the league’s single-game scoring record with 53 points but won’t be threatening her own mark this season, citing pre-existing factors that her doctors have determined make her high-risk should she be stricken with COVID-19. Cambage averaged 15.9 points and 8.2 rebounds in her first season with Las Vegas in ’19.

Kelsey Plum, a former No. 1 pick and one of the WNBA’s top shooters, is out for the season after tearing her Achilles. A’ja Wilson remains to lead the Aces and figures to be an MVP candidate, but she’ll command a lot more defensive attention this season.

As of the first week in July, defending champion Washington (+350) is still waiting to hear if MVP Elena Delle Donne will opt out, but most expect that will ultimately be the case given her injury history. Even if she suits up, the Mystics will still have a different vibe since guards Kristi Tolliver (Sparks) and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (Mercury) are now elsewhere. Wing Natasha Cloud and forward LaToya Sanders opted not to play in the bubble, so repeating as champion is going to take a new recipe.

Pacific Northwest Looks for Sunshine State Resurgence

Diana Taurasi, the WNBA’s leading scorer, was only able to play in six games last season but is healthy and returning to action. The Mercury (+600) acquired Skylar Diggins-Smith in the offseason to pair with Taurasi and center Brittney Griner. Griner is still one of the league’s most feared shot blockers and affects the game at both ends.

Guards Shatori Walker-Kimbrough and forwards Jessica Breland and Nia Coffey join Diggins-Smith in a talent infusion that could yield a second championship for head coach Sandy Brondello if she pushes the right buttons inside the bubble.

Like Taurasi, 11-time All-Star Sue Bird is returning to action for Seattle (+400) after missing all of last season due to a left knee injury. Breanna Stewart is also returning after missing 2019 due to injury and will be one of the league’s top players so long as she can remain in healthy and works off the rust.

Forward Natasha Howard is a walking double-double and guards Jewell Loyd and Jordin Canada are quite capable, so depth may become a strong point for the Storm.

Backing Longshots Makes Most Sense Entering Bubble

The Connecticut Sun (+450) would be a live dog worth getting behind if not for the fact that its best player, forward Jonquel Jones, has also decided not to play in Bradenton. Jones, an All-Star who averaged 14.6 points and 9.7 rebounds last season, led Connecticut in those categories and blocks but didn’t feel comfortable playing in this current environment.

The L.A. Sparks (+650) acquired Tolliver from Washington but won’t see her until next season since she opted out. Chiney Ogwumike, who doubles as an ESPN basketball analyst, won’t be suiting up for L.A. either. The Sparks will still be a factor, but their absences are another reason to expand your horizons if you’re betting WNBA futures in 2020.

The Chicago Sky (+2000) look like an attractive option since Courtney Vandersloot and Allie Quigley will be back to form the backcourt. Center Stefanie Dolson was re-signed and new additions Sydney Colson and Ruthy Hebard should play major roles immediately.

Hebard’s more famous teammate at the University of Oregon, reigning National Player of the Year Sabrina Ionescu, will debut for the New York Liberty (+4000). She’s got some help in No. 9 pick Megan Walker out of UConn and 12th pick Jazmine Jones in addition to veteran guards Kia Nurse and Asia Durr.

While the Dallas Wings and Atlanta Dream (both +10000) are unlikely to rise up, the Minnesota Lynx (+4000) and Indiana Fever (+6000) could be threats that would pay off handsomely. The Lynx won’t have Odyssey Sims initially but expect the new mother to join the team at some point in the bubble. Center Sylvia Fowles and reigning Rookie of the Year Napheesa Collier will hold things down. Newcomer Shenise Johnson is also expected to contribute immediately, so if Sims can work the rust off quickly upon her return, Minnesota could be dangerous.

The Fever delayed their initial flight to Florida due to multiple coronavirus cases but expect to get healthy and compete under new head coach Marianne Stanley, who just won a title as an assistant with the Mystics. Veterans Tiffany Mitchell, Erica Wheeler, Natalie Achonwa and Candice Dupree are all on board to play in Bradenton and should get immediate help from No. 3 pick Lauren Cox (Baylor) and Belgian point guard Julia Allemand. If all the pieces come together, Indiana could be the sleeper to back.

How To Bet WNBA Futures

The “Odds to Win” wager in basketball is also commonly referred to as a future wager. Bettors must correctly select a team to win an event that takes place a later time. The money wagered will be tied up until there is an outcome and bettors will receive fixed odds when they place the wager. The future odds are normally updated on a weekly basis and wagers can be placed throughout the season.

To figure out your Win Amount, take the odds and multiply by the amount wagered. Ex. Chicago Sky (20/1) to win the championship. Chicago is listed as an 10/1 betting choice to win the WNBA Championship. If you wager $100 on Chicago to win it all and they capture the championship, then you would win $2000 (20 ÷ 1 x 100). You would collect $2100, which includes your win and stake ($100).

2020 WNBA Championship Odds to Win

There are several good teams and picks to wager on to win the WNBA Championship. The current betting choices to capture the WNBA title in 2020:

Aces +500
        Mystics +450
        Sparks +450
        Storm +450
        Mercury +850
        Sun +600
        Sky +850
        Lynx +2700
        Fever +5500
        Liberty +1300
        Dream +7000
        Wings +7000