Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cnotes 2019 nba preseason news and notes !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sixers primed for championship run
    October 15, 2019
    By The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Charles Barkley had a statue dedicated in his honor outside the 76ers' complex, the franchise for which he played the bulk of his Hall of Fame career - and later poked fun at as an analyst when the team tanked.

Billy Cunningham was Barkley's first NBA coach and joked the Sixers may never have drafted Sir Charles had Houston not tanked at the tail end of 1984 to increase the odds it could select Hakeem Olajuwon with the No. 1 pick. Sixers coach Brett Brown, trying to become the first coach to win the championship in Philadelphia since Cunningham in 1983, had some fun at Barkley's expense with the revelation.

''I can't believe (Houston) dumped games to get high draft picks,'' Brown said to laughter. ''Can you believe that? Somebody trying to get high draft picks dumping games? I don't know what you're talking about.''

From tanking to title contention, Brown has lived through it all in Philly since he was hired in 2013 and finally has his best roster and shot at winning a championship. The sting of last season's elimination, when Kawhi Leonard sank the first Game 7-ending buzzer-beater in NBA history to lead Toronto past the 76ers, still lingers for the holdovers.

Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid & Co. have 7-1 odds to win the NBA title and believe the best is at last ahead for a team that has lost in the Eastern Conference semifinals each of the last two seasons.

''I've already picked the 76ers to win the championship next year,'' Barkley said. ''So, no pressure. I mean that, sincerely. I did call you all a stupid organization.''

Much like the 60-loss seasons, that's all in the past for Philadelphia.

Simmons and Embiid are proven All-Stars and have the long-term, big-money deals that will keep them franchise cornerstones for years in their prime. Al Horford was signed away from rival Boston to start at power forward and, perhaps more importantly, provide needed relief to Embiid as backup center.

Embiid says the 76ers have a ''chance to win it all'' and the excitement around the team grows with each season.

Here's what else to know about the 76ers:

SIMMONS FOR 3

Simmons was cheered in a preseason game like he was a scrub off the JV bench who scored a basket in mop-up time when he buried a 3-pointer.

The reason the crowd went wild? The 3 was the first for Simmons in the NBA.

Simmons is 0 for 17 from 3-point range in two seasons and spent his summer trying to improve his jumper. Defenses sagged on Simmons, daring him to shoot because the point guard can't do much outside the paint. Simmons' ability to expand his game is needed for the Sixers to go deep in the postseason as much as a healthy Embiid.

''I work every day and to me, it shows,'' Simmons said. ''I'm in the gym every day and I feel like it is paying off.''

Simmons has 50-1 odds to win NBA MVP.

The 23-year-old signed a $170 million, five-year contract extension in the offseason. He made his NBA debut in the 2017-18 season and was Rookie of the Year. He was an All-Star for the first time last season but vowed to do more.

''I think I was just too worried about what people were saying and what was going on around me. Too many outside noises,'' Simmons said. ''I was really able to block them out this summer and not focus on what people were saying.''

NEED FOR EMBIID

The Sixers will go only as far as their franchise center takes them.

They were willing to wait two years for him to sit out with injuries because they knew the tantalizing talent ahead. But Embiid has yet to play more than 64 games a season, one reason why the Sixers played Game 7 on the road instead of home. He missed a playoff game against Brooklyn with a bad left knee and had multiple digestive issues that made his starting status unknown for other games.

Embiid said he wants to play more than 64 games, though the Sixers are weary of his workload. He has 13-1 odds to win NBA MVP.

''I knew I had to be in better shape,'' Embiid said. ''Meaning that, I had to do a better job. You can't coach sickness, you can't go and get sick. All I can do is just make sure I do the right thing and eat the right things. I just try to do what I can do best.''

Embiid said at the start of training camp that he lost 20 pounds over the offseason and aimed for at least five more before opening night by eating right and working with team officials to get in better condition. Embiid didn't say how much he weighs but is listed as 250 pounds on the depth chart.

HORFORD HELPS

Horford just might prove the most valuable pickup for the Sixers. When he played for the Celtics, Horford often gave Embiid fits defensively and now can give spell at center, when needed. A five-time All-Star, Horford averaged 13.6 points, 6.7 rebounds and 4.2 assists last season.

Horford said he didn't necessarily spill any secrets to Embiid on how to solve rugged defensive matchups.

''We are going to talk, but he is going to be fine,'' Horford said. ''If you look at the stat line, he is just doing his thing. I'm here to help him and I am here to help the team.''
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

Pistons hoping to show progress
      October 15, 2019
      By The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) In a league with so many teams either contending or rebuilding, the Detroit Pistons haven't been doing much of either.

What they did do last season was make a playoff appearance, a rarity in recent years. Now the challenge is to build on that.

''Not saying we're ready for a championship, but we're taking some big steps,'' coach Dwane Casey said. ''This is a bridge. We're going across it, to continue to improve offensively, defensively, to get to our ultimate goal, which is to win a championship.''

The Pistons have resisted the win big-or-tank model that seems to be all the rage in the NBA. Two seasons ago, they gave up a first-round draft pick in a trade for Blake Griffin. That wasn't enough to put them in the playoffs in 2018, but they made it a season ago and were immediately swept by Milwaukee. There's still a clear gap between Detroit and the top teams in the league, but there's also enough talent on hand that the Pistons could rise a bit in the Eastern Conference.

Last season was only the second playoff appearance in 10 seasons for this franchise. Winning a round would be another step forward.

''We're not here just to get by, or just to get into the playoffs,'' said Casey, who is entering his second season at the helm. ''We want to do big things, and we're building that foundation.''

With Griffin and center Andre Drummond under big contracts, the Pistons haven't had much roster flexibility and Detroit hasn't been a prime destination for free agents. If the Pistons are going to make anything more than mild improvement, they'll probably need some unexpected contributions, perhaps from a recent draft pick like Sekou Doumbouya, a first-rounder this year who doesn't turn 19 until December.

Detroit also brought in Derrick Rose, the former MVP who has battled injury problems but may still have some upside at age 31.

''Just to be completely candid, there are teams on paper who are more talented, or have more guys that are regarded as more talented, I guess,'' Griffin said. ''But I think we have the mindset to come in and compete every night, and if we do that - I said this last year - I think the fans, the city of Detroit, the state of Michigan, will get behind us.''

HEALTH

Griffin managed to play in 75 games last season, a good number given his spotty injury history, but he began having knee problems at the very end and missed two playoff games. That obviously wasn't ideal, so keep an eye on his minutes this season as the Pistons try to keep him as fresh as possible.

POINT GUARD

Reggie Jackson has had an erratic tenure with the Pistons. He averaged 18.8 points per game in 2015-16 but hasn't reached that level since. His assist and turnover rates both dropped slightly last season, with Detroit able to run its offense through Griffin if need be. Now Rose has arrived, and although his minutes will probably need to be managed, it will be interesting to see who Casey trusts in crunch time.

YOUNG PLAYERS

Luke Kennard is the only one of Detroit's recent first-round picks still making a significant contribution for the team. He can give the Pistons 3-point shooting and some offensive punch off the bench. Bruce Brown, a second-round pick in 2018, played 20 minutes a game last season, averaging 4.3 points.

OTHER ADDITIONS

Aside from Rose, the Pistons also added a potential contributor in Tony Snell, who averaged 6.0 points for Milwaukee a season ago. Joe Johnson is also with Detroit now, but after not playing in the NBA at all last season, he'd likely be at the end of the roster if he makes the team.

TEAR IT DOWN?

The Pistons have been loath to give up on their current path, sticking with the trio of Griffin, Drummond and Jackson, but a poor start this season could bring about a tipping point. Owner Tom Gores indicated he wants to keep Drummond, but there's been no agreement yet on an extension. It may now be a bit easier for the Pistons to move on from Drummond and/or Jackson if things are clearly going south.

Comment

Pacers lean on Turner with Oladipo out
        October 15, 2019
        By The Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Myles Turner looks around the Indiana Pacers locker room and sees a whole new team.

Paul George and Lance Stephenson left long ago. Thaddeus Young, Bojan Bogdanovic and Darren Collison said goodbye during the summer and two-time All-Star Victor Oladipo is still recovering from an injury.

So as the Pacers prepare for their Oct. 23 season opener against Detroit, the 23-year-old center and Indiana's longest-tenured player suddenly finds himself as the team leader.

''I expect the same thing he expects out of himself - big things,'' Oladipo said. ''He just has go out there and be Myles Turner.''

Through four pro seasons, Turner has steadily improved. He went from part-time starter as a rookie to full-time starter in his second season, finished among the league's top 10 in blocks in 2017-18 and won the NBA blocks title last season despite missing eight games because of injuries.

He spent a few days this summer working out with former Boston Celtics star Kevin McHale before representing the U.S. in Beijing at the FIBA World Cup. And now the Pacers believe Turner can become the league's top defensive center.

''It's something I want to keep building on and get better with year in and year out,'' Turner aid. ''I've still got a ways to go.''

The question, of course, is how Turner fits with all these new faces.

President of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard traded for guard Malcolm Brogdon and forward T.J. Warren. Pritchard signed free agent guards Jeremy Lamb, T.J. McConnell and Justin Holiday and gave guard C.J. Wilcox a second chance.

And all of it was built around Turner, the man in the middle.

''We've added offensive players to the roster and it's going to take chemistry,'' coach Nate McMillan said. ''I think this can work with the players we brought in but it's going to take each guy playing for the next guy and trusting that we're going to have one common goal and that's to win.''

OLADIPO TIMETABLE

The Pacers have been measured in their expectations for Oladipo, who ruptured the quad tendon in his right knee in January. Oladipo has repeatedly said he intends to come back a better player. But the only hint of a possible return date came when Pritchard said this summer it could be December or January.

''I know he will not start the season,'' McMillan said. ''I haven't had any information given to me that he will be practicing with the team anytime soon. So I don't anticipate Victor being available for a while and I don't know what a while is.''

BROGDON'S ROLE

Brogdon, like Turner, has steadily improved over each of his first three seasons in the league. His scoring average and shooting percentages have gone each season. What the Pacers value is Brogdon's ability to play both guard spots and his ability to defend. And that, they believe makes him the perfect complement to Oladipo when he does return.

''He's going to be our starting point guard,'' McMillan said. ''I love his leadership. He chose us, I've had a few players that wanted to play for me but this guy said he had really been eyeballing us since he came out of the draft. I think he's a throwback with how he plays the game, how he thinks the game. He understands that position.''

GOING BIG

Turner isn't the only Pacers' big man in a new role. Forward Domantas Sabonis will likely go from super sub to full-time starter, giving the Pacers a more traditional look with two 6-foot-11 players in the starting lineup. McMillan believes it soon could become a league-wide trend.

''You look at what Philadelphia has done. You look at what Detroit has done. You look at what Denver has done,'' McMillan said. ''So not everyone is playing the spread basketball that has been adopted over the past 10 years. I think you're going to see the game turn back to a power forward and a center and we really feel like we can play big or play small.''

ONE-AND-DONE?

McMillan has seen the Pacers make first-round playoff exits in three straight seasons. His goal is to change that legacy this season.

''The last three years we had decent seasons and were able to get to the playoffs but it was first round and out,'' McMillan said. ''The first year we were a little young and we get swept by Cleveland. The second year, we lose 4-3 so we got close and last season we were missing Victor and we get swept. So I think it's a year to prove ourselves.''

Comment

Celtics move on after Irving's departure
          October 15, 2019
          By The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) Expectations are nothing new for the Boston Celtics.

Not living up to them despite having such a stacked roster the past two seasons was a little tougher to ******.

The Celtics took a chance trading for All-Star Kyrie Irving with no guarantee he would re-sign when he became a free agent.

The wager didn't pan out when after two years marred by injuries and disagreements with his teammates, Irving departed in the offseason to join Kevin Durant in Brooklyn.

Boston has turned the page, adding All-Star point guard Kemba Walker to replace Irving and Enes Kanter to fill the void created after Al Horford left for Philadelphia. The Celtics are also betting on their young core led by Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, who without Irving helped Boston get within a game of the Finals two years ago.

Walker is embracing the newness that his ninth NBA season has brought.

''It's just different. I feel like the new kid in school,'' Walker said. ''I think it's a lot of emotions all in one.''

Emotions were all over the place for the Celtics throughout last season.

Irving led the Celtics in scoring (23.8 points per game) and assists per game (6.9), but they finished with only the fourth-best record (49-33) in the Eastern Conference after coming off back-to-back 50-win seasons.

Part of it was chemistry issues that coach Brad Stevens couldn't figure out.

Another part was a divide between Irving and the younger players.

During a losing streak in January, Irving memorably called them out, saying in part that ''the young guys don't know what it takes to be a championship-level team.''

The reverberations of that were felt in the locker room for the remainder of the season.

Irving even noted at one point that he underestimated how tough it would be to establish himself as a leader.

It may be why Walker has taken a more measured approach as he tries to integrate himself into his new environment. Though he said he still hopes he can provide veteran leadership.

''Some enthusiasm. Some positive energy. That's what I'm here for. I'm just kind of here to be myself,'' Walker said.

Guard Marcus Smart said Walker has a self-awareness that should bode well for the team jelling.

''He's like every last one of us - we all had to fight to get where we are and get where we're going,'' Smart said. ''And when you're a competitor and a guy like that, that's willing to come here and know that and not just come in here thinking he deserves it because he was an All-Star or anything like that - that just helps the younger guys, myself included. Because we see that, and it makes us go out there and give everything we have for him.''

A NEW MAN

Another player who has vowed to put his all into this season is Gordon Hayward. Just a year removed from the catastrophic ankle injury that caused him to miss the entire 2017-18 season, Hayward struggled when he returned to action last season.

He averaged just 11.5 points, his lowest average since his second season in the league in 2011-12.

Part of it, he said, was that he didn't fully trust his body. But after a full summer in the gym he's rediscovered that confidence.

''I think health-wise, mentally I feel a lot better going into this year,'' Hayward said. ''Not only because I was able to train and kind of build some confidence ... but also just having a year with the guys.''

Hayward was built up as part of a dynamic duo when he joined the team along with Irving. That excitement, he said, remains high as he prepares to play alongside Walker.

''He's definitely a game-changer,'' Hayward said. ''I think that the pace that he plays at changes games.''

EARLY TESTS

Boston won't have to wait long to test itself against good competition.

Eight of the Celtics' first 18 games are against teams that qualified for the playoffs last season.

ALL ABOUT DEFENSE

Changes aside, Stevens said defense must be the crux of this team.

The Celtics have been at their best under Stevens when they ranked in the top five in defense. Boston finished last season ranked sixth in the league on the defensive end.

''We'll make sure from Day 1 that we're the best version of ourselves defensively,'' Stevens said.

Comment

Nets now cool team; chance for more success with new players
            October 15, 2019
            By The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) What was apparent in July became clearer to Nets coach Kenny Atkinson in September.

With Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving on board, things are looking up in Brooklyn.

''People showed up to our press conference. My press conference the first year, it was like crickets,'' said Atkinson, joking about the team's media day last month.

Nearly 200 media were credentialed for the first public glimpse of Durant and Irving wearing their Brooklyn black uniforms. The next morning, there were so many fans outside the practice facility for the first day of training camp that Atkinson had to drive around in the other direction, only to find more fans. One held up the coach's picture.

The team that had trouble attracting attention while based in New Jersey until 2012 is suddenly the cool team in New York.

''It's a different excitement with the fans,'' Atkinson said.

Though Durant is not expected to play this season while he recovers from surgery to repair the Achilles tendon he ruptured in the NBA Finals, Irving is set to take control of a team that won 42 games last season and reached the playoffs.

Caris LeVert could be even better this year, after returning from a dislocated right foot last season to become Brooklyn's leading scorer in its first-round loss to Philadelphia. DeAndre Jordan signed along with Durant and Irving, his friends and 2016 U.S. Olympic teammates, and will rotate with Jarrett Allen in an upgraded center spot.

That should tighten up the defense and rebounding, and the Nets' versatility and creativity on offense means there may be plenty of firepower even without Durant.

''We know how much we have,'' forward Taurean Prince said. ''I think that's why the front office did a great job of putting a great team together and we know what we can do. We know what we're capable of.''

The real results may not be seen until 2020-21, when Durant expects to return at full strength. Even if the Nets have to wait, they can maintain the ascent of the last few seasons with the other talent assembled in Brooklyn.

''Obviously, Kevin got hurt, but you think about adding him again next year and how much better we'll be with us just jelling together and guys getting better over the course of the season,'' Jordan said, ''and you don't really get opportunities like this. So we wanted to take advantage of it.''

Other things to know about the Nets:

IRVING'S INJURY

Irving was sidelined for much of his first preseason with the Nets after sustaining a facial fracture shortly before camp, then aggravating the injury barely a minute after making his debut during an exhibition game in China. He's had to wear a mask for a similar injury in the past.

PRINCE'S POSITION

Prince, a former first-round pick of Atlanta who was acquired in an offseason trade, is the likely starter at the forward spot that would have been manned by Durant. He averaged 13.5 points and shot 39 percent from 3-point range last season.

LEVERT LOOKS FOR A LEAP

LeVert was averaging 18.4 points when he was hurt on Nov. 12, missed 42 games and then got back into top form in time for the postseason, where he averaged 21 points in the five games. The Nets are betting on him staying at that level, signing the fourth-year guard to a contract extension this summer.

HARRIS' HOT HAND

Joe Harris will probably be a marked man by Nets opponents after producing his best NBA season in 2018-19, averaging 13.7 points. He led the NBA in 3-point shooting at 47.4 percent and had eight 20-point games after scoring 20 just twice in his first four seasons.

PRESSURE'S ON

The Nets are slowly building, largely free of expectations and criticism - a rarity in New York - under Atkinson and general manager Sean Marks. But the spotlight will be upon them after their big summer acquisitions. Even without Durant, they'll likely hear about it if they struggle.

Comment

MVP Giannis looks to improve as Bucks' leader this season
              October 15, 2019
              By The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE (AP) Last season's loss to Toronto in the Eastern Conference finals stung Giannis Antetokounmpo.

So much so that the NBA MVP admitted it took several days for him to be able to sleep at night after he and the Milwaukee Bucks blew a 2-0 lead against the eventual NBA champion Raptors.

Antetokounmpo said his priority during the offseason was to become a better leader, both on and off the court.

''Mostly, you just gotta be more vocal,'' Antetokounmpo said. ''You gotta lead by example. You gotta be able to accept criticism by your coach, by your teammates, and be OK with it. That's what a leader does. I know that my team knows who I am. They trust me. They know I'm going to put my body and everything I have on the line for this team. By doing that, everything else will take care of itself.''

The Bucks won a league-best 60 games a season ago, and took home MVP, Coach of the Year (Mike Budenholzer) and Executive of the Year (general manager Jon Horst) honors. But their goal was to bring the city of Milwaukee its first NBA title since 1971. That didn't happen.

Now, with both Kawhi Leonard and LeBron James out west, Kevin Durant on the shelf in Brooklyn and the core of Antetokounmpo, fellow All-Star Khris Middleton, first-team all-defensive guard Eric Bledsoe and Brook Lopez back together, anything less than another deep playoff run for the Bucks will be deemed a failure.

''The message to the team won't be that different than what it was going into last season,'' said Budenholzer, who is entering his second season in Milwaukee. ''Really, our attack point is just what are we doing every day? How are we getting better every day? How are we competing every day? Are we playing unselfishly? Are we playing together? All those things that are just our core beliefs. If we're doing those on a day-in and day-out basis, the chips will fall where they may.''

The Bucks open the season Oct. 24 in Houston.

KYLE KORVER

Bucks guard Kyle Korver said his new team is like a ''more organized version'' of the Cleveland Cavaliers teams he played on with LeBron James.

''I think that there's a ton of freedom here for players to do what they do,'' he said. ''There's a lot of special talent - unique talent - on this team, and (Budenholzer) gives us a lot of freedom to kind of figure some things out, and we did that in Cleveland, too. Let the great players be great, and just kind of give them space, and we all find our spots to contribute and to be effective.''

Korver signed a one-year deal with Milwaukee in July. The 17-year veteran reunites with Budenholzer, who coached Korver in Atlanta in 2015, when Korver made his only NBA All-Star team and Budenholzer won his first NBA Coach of the Year award.

Korver ranks fourth in NBA history in 3-pointers made with 2,351.

BROGDON OUT, MATTHEWS IN

The Bucks lost former Rookie of the Year Malcolm Brogdon to Indiana in free agency. Budenholzer said he thinks the additions of sharpshooter Korver and veteran two-way wing Wes Matthews will help fill the void. Matthews was the 2005 Wisconsin Mr. Basketball and played his college ball at nearby Marquette.

''Coming back home, it's a sentimental feeling and one you can't quite describe,'' Matthews said. ''To see the success, the growth of the city and the growth of the state, what this Bucks team and organization has done, I come back and I don't even recognize some of this stuff around here. I'm excited to be a part of it.''

BAND OF BROTHERS

Milwaukee will start the season with two pairs of brothers, as Robin Lopez joins twin brother Brook, and Giannis will have his older brother, Thanasis, on the roster. Thanasis Antetokounmpo, who last played in the NBA in 2016 for the Knicks, signed a two-year contract in July.

''What a great story for Giannis and Thanasis and Brook and Robin to play together,'' Budenholzer said. ''There's probably a few little things that we've got to be conscientious of: Make sure that they're not always together, so on so forth. And Robin and Brook, there's been a lot of comments about how we're going to manage them in the locker room.''

DONTE'S PEAK

Milwaukee's 2018 first-round pick Donte DiVincenzo will look to re-establish himself after dealing with a heel injury last season. The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 4.9 points on 40.3% shooting in 27 games a season ago.

''(I just want to) keep getting better,'' DiVincenzo said. ''Keep getting better every day, keep building my confidence, figure my spots because it's a long year.''

LOOMING QUESTION

How much longer will Giannis Antetokounmpo be in Milwaukee?

Antetokounmpo can be an unrestricted free agent next summer. At that point, the Bucks can offer him a five-year supermax extension. Horst told a crowd at an offseason fan event that he intends to offer the extension to the three-time All-Star (and was fined for saying so by the NBA).

''I'm not going to talk about it a lot,'' Antetokounmpo said. ''I think it's disrespectful toward my teammates talking about my free agency and what I'm going to do. So when the time is right, we're all going to talk about it.''

Comment

In Orlando, everyone's back and expectations are high
                October 15, 2019
                By The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) Aaron Gordon doesn't put much credence in outside expectations.

The Orlando Magic weren't widely picked to be a playoff team last season, and then not only did the Magic make the postseason but wound up winning the Southeast Division. It's an accomplishment worth noting since the Magic had finished last in the division for five of the previous six years.

''We're trending in the right direction,'' Gordon said.

And that's the task for the Magic this year: Continue that trend. For Steve Clifford's second year at the helm in Orlando, the Magic - 42-40 last season after winning 22 of their final 31 games - brought back virtually the entire roster.

That's an unusual perk for any NBA team, especially after an offseason where well over 100 players switched uniforms. It also means the Magic could essentially pick up where they left off last spring with the same group and two new potentially key additions, former No. 1 overall pick Markelle Fultz (acquired in a trade last season but who didn't play for Orlando after the deal) and veteran Al-Farouq Aminu.

''It's going to help out a lot, just the chemistry alone,'' Gordon said. ''But we've still got to work hard, every day. There's nothing given in this league but that camaraderie, that continuity, that's going to help out a lot.''

The Magic used the same starting lineup in 40 of their last 41 games, including playoffs - the only exception being the last game of the regular season, when All-Star center Nikola Vucevic and Jonathan Issac got the night off to rest.

Orlando had nine different starting lineups all year, one fewer than Sacramento for the league low. On average, teams had 21 different lineups; Miami had 29, New York had 30, New Orleans had 31 and Cleveland a league-high 32.

''We have a base and we can build on it,'' Vucevic said. ''Last year, it took us some time to figure all that out.''

Clifford said if the Magic handle the continuity correctly, it should be a considerable advantage. But he also warns that it doesn't guarantee anything.

''Last year, it wasn't a coaching thing - it was their approach,'' Clifford said. ''It was a group that had not had a lot of success obviously in the last few years and they badly wanted to win. It was important to them. We have to have that again.''

Some other things to know about the Magic going into the season:

INJURY MATTERS

Orlando's practice court is sponsored by AdventHealth, and maybe being tied to a health care corporation was the secret last season. Orlando's five leading scorers last season combined to play in 401 of a possible 410 games, remarkable durability in a league where only 4% of players appeared in all 82 regular-season contests.

100 OR LESS

Even as scoring soared last season, the Magic were better than most at keeping opponents in some sort of offensive check. Orlando had 26 games where it held opponents to 100 points or less (tied with Memphis and Miami for fourth-most in the NBA behind Denver's 29, Indiana's 29 and Utah's 28). The Magic were 22-4 in those games, 20-36 otherwise.

THE SCHEDULE

Orlando opens with nine of its first 13 games at home, which in theory would provide the Magic a chance to get off to a solid start. Problem is, five of those first nine home games against teams likely to contend for big things next spring - with Milwaukee, Denver, Indiana, Philadelphia and San Antonio among the early visitors to Amway Center.

GEOGRAPHIC RIVALRY

Here's an oddity - the Magic and geographic rival Miami Heat are playing only once in 2019. The teams had three of their four 2018-19 meetings before the calendar flipped to 2019, and won't meet for the first time this season until Jan. 3, 2020.

EXPECTATIONS

For the first time in seven years, the Magic are entering a season with oddsmakers expecting them to have a winning record - which, more often than not in the East, comes with a playoff berth. The biggest key of all this season for Orlando may be how a team that took some big-time leaps forward last year handles the expectation of continuing that momentum.

Comment

With promising core, Bulls set sights on playoff position
                  October 15, 2019
                  By The Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) Lauri Markkanen and Zach LaVine would love to showcase their skills before the home crowd when the All-Star Game returns to Chicago this season for the first time since Michael Jordan stole the spotlight in 1988.

It would mean the Bulls' promising young stars have taken their games to a higher level. And that would likely mean the team is starting to win again.

''Everything comes with winning,'' said Markkanen, entering his third season. ''We haven't been to the playoffs, haven't won at home a lot of games. I know that's one thing that I know (ticks) both of us off. We want to get to that winning record first. Obviously, that comes from us playing well and the whole team playing well.''

Winning a championship for the first time since Jordan and Scottie Pippen led a pair of three-peats in the 1990s would be a massive stretch. But the Bulls believe an Eastern Conference playoff spot is in reach for the first time since an opening-round exit in 2017.

''If we're in that position where we're winning and we're playing the right way, we can make the playoffs,'' said LaVine, who averaged a career-high 23.7 points last season. ''I don't think we have to validate to anybody. I know how we play on the court. I know, to be realistic, we're the main scouting report on the other team. I draw double-teams, he draws double-teams. I don't think it's as much validation; it's just goals you have for yourself and your team.''

The Bulls open the season at Charlotte on Oct. 23.

THE RISING

The Bulls took a head-first dive into rebuilding when they acquired Markkanen and LaVine along with Kris Dunn in the 2017 draft-night deal that sent Jimmy Butler to Minnesota. Though they're a combined 49-115 the past two years, management believes they're ready to rise.

Markkanen, LaVine, Wendell Carter Jr. and Otto Porter Jr. are part of a core that has the front office thinking the team is positioned to make a jump coming off a 22-60 season that ranked among the worst in franchise history. The Bulls changed coaches early on, firing Fred Hoiberg and promoting Jim Boylen, and finished with their lowest win total since 2002 (21-61). A 9-32 mark at the United Center tied New York for the league's worst home record.

POINTING OUT

The Bulls brought in some competition at point guard after Dunn took a step back by drafting Coby White with the No. 7 overall pick and acquiring Tomas Satoransk� from Washington. That was hardly a surprise after Dunn went from averaging 13.4 points to 11.3 in 46 games.

White helped North Carolina reach the Sweet 16 in his lone college season, averaging 16.1 points and 4.1 assists in 35 games. He became the first Tar Heel drafted in the opening round by the Bulls since they took Michael Jordan with the No. 3 pick in 1984. Satoransk� set career highs by averaging 8.9 points, 5.0 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 80 games with Washington.

LEADING OFF

The Bulls got a veteran leader by signing Thaddeus Young to a $41 million, three-year contract. They expect the 31-year-old forward to help install a winning culture and contribute on the court. Entering his 13th season, Young has averaged 13.4 points and 6 rebounds with Philadelphia, Minnesota, Brooklyn and Indiana.

HEALTHY OUTLOOK

Markkanen was limited to 52 games due to an elbow injury and heart problem, while LaVine played in 63 games last year. Denzel Valentine is back after missing last season because of reconstructive left ankle surgery, and the 6-10 Carter Jr. had his promising rookie campaign end at 44 games due to a left thumb injury.

STAMP FROM START

Boylen came into camp with a contract extension and an opportunity to put his stamp on the team right from the start after the longtime assistant landed his first NBA head coaching job early last year.

He wants the team to play faster and tighten up a defense that ranked among the worst. The Bulls finished near the bottom in rebounding, defensive rating and opponents' field-goal percentage. A healthy Carter down low should help. But Boylen also challenged LaVine and Markkanen to improve on defense. And he wants Markkanen, who averaged 18.7 points and 9 rebounds, to become more consistent on the glass.

Comment

Kings hope to take next step to playoffs in upcoming season
                    October 15, 2019
                    By The Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The winningest season in 13 years only whetted the appetite in Sacramento.

Nothing short of ending the NBA's longest active playoff drought will be enough to consider the upcoming season a success for the Kings.

A roster led by emerging young stars like point guard De'Aaron Fox and forward Marvin Bagley III, and fortified by the addition of some key veterans in the offseason, gives first-year coach Luke Walton the most complete Kings team since the last postseason berth back in 2006 in coach Rick Adelman's final season.

''Some positives came from last season, especially in the summer,'' said Bagley, who averaged 14.9 points per game last season. ''But not making the playoffs was something I thought about all summer. I just had that in the back of my mind that we still got to get to the playoffs and show everybody what we can do.''

The Kings finished ninth in the Western Conference with 39 wins last season, a 12-game improvement from the previous season and the most since a 44-38 campaign in 2005-06.

But they still finished nine games out of the last playoff spot in a conference that only got tougher with Anthony Davis joining the Lakers and Kawhi Leonard and Paul George joining the Clippers.

''Everybody knows the Western Conference got extremely tough and it was tough before this,'' Fox said. ''It's gotten a lot tougher. At the same time, we feel like we've gotten better as a team. It would be a lot more disappointing to miss the playoffs.''

Here are some things to watch:

DEVELOP A DEFENSE

The top task for Walton after arriving in Sacramento was to build a better defense than the team had last season when the Kings allowed 115.3 points per game. The Kings were good at forcing turnovers with 15.9 per game to fuel the transition game but weren't as effective in the half court. It's an issue the players recognize.

''Last year our problem wasn't putting the ball in the basket,'' Fox said. ''We scored with the best of them. We know what we have to get better at. It's on the defensive end.''

FIRE AWAY

The biggest change on the offensive end that Walton plans to implement is a heavier reliance on 3-pointers. The Kings were an efficient team from long range, ranking fourth in the league by making 37.8% of 3-pointers. But Walton wants to see them use that strategy more often, increasing from about 30 shots from long range a game to 35 this season.

''I'll shoot as much as they want me to,'' said guard Buddy Hield, who led the team with 278 made 3s. ''My confidence is high. Whenever the opportunity presents, I'll take advantage of it.''

EMERGING STARS

The Kings are building the team around two young potential stars in Fox and Bagley. Fox took a big leap in his second season, making big improvements in his shooting, scoring, passing and defense. He averaged 17.3 points and 7.3 assists per game, up from 11.6 and 4.4 as a rookie. Sacramento is hoping for a similar boost in year two from Bagley, who averaged 14.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game as a rookie.

''When you work hard, are talented and have some of the gifts they have, good things happen,'' Walton said. ''I'm excited to see what they bring to the court this year.''

GOING DEEP

The moves in the offseason to add veterans gives Sacramento a roster that can go 12 deep in the rotation this season. Dewayne Dedmon and Richaun Holmes add a defensive presence in the front court to take pressure off Bagley and the other young big men. Trevor Ariza gives Walton another strong defensive wing player who can also make 3s. Cory Joseph provides a proven backup up at point guard to ease the load on Fox and even play with him at times. Managing that many players could be one of Walton's biggest challenges.

FREQUENT FLYERS

The Kings will spend plenty of time on planes early in the season. They traveled to India in the preseason and play 18 of their first 29 games on the road. They will play nine of their 13 games in the Eastern time zone before Christmas, making getting off to a fast start challenging.

Comment

Suns push for improvement, build around Booker-Ayton core
                      October 15, 2019
                      By The Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) Devin Booker says a busy offseason for the Phoenix Suns is proof the franchise is serious about ending a playoff drought that's approaching a decade.

Booker and last year's No. 1 overall pick, Deandre Ayton, comprise the team's promising young core and the Suns hope they can grow into a pair of perennial All-Stars. They were very good last year - Booker averaged 26.6 points per game and Ayton averaged a double-double - but it was obvious they needed help after the Suns finished with a 19-63 record.

In Booker's mind, that mission has been accomplished: The Suns signed veteran point guard Ricky Rubio and big men Dario Saric, Aron Baynes and Frank Kaminsky III. They re-signed the emerging Kelly Oubre Jr. They also acquired seasoned young shooters like Cameron Johnson and Ty Jerome.

''Even our young players are guys that know the game, high-IQ players, well-coached guys who are ready to work,'' Booker said. ''The additions we made with Ricky, Dario and Aron Baynes - re-signing Kelly - I think we have NBA guys that know who they are in the NBA and know how to take it to the next level. That's making a playoff push.''

The new players will help, but it's the Booker-Ayton combo that everyone is watching.

A fifth-year guard, Booker still doesn't turn 23 for a couple weeks. His relative youth - combined with ample NBA seasoning - have the Suns excited that he can turn into one of the NBA's elite scorers.

The 7-foot-1 Ayton is another intriguing young player. He recently turned 21 and averaged 16.3 points and 10.3 rebounds last season despite being very raw in portions of his game.

''I'm super excited to watch him dominate the NBA,'' Oubre said.

The 6-foot-7 Oubre was a pleasant surprise after being dealt from Washington to Phoenix in the middle of last season. He averaged about 17 points and five rebounds after the trade and provided consistent defense on the perimeter.

Like a lot of the Suns, youth is on his side. He won't turn 24 until December.

''I haven't played my best ball,'' Oubre said. ''I've been working relentlessly.''

The Suns also made a change on the bench, bringing in Monty Williams. He was the head coach in New Orleans for five seasons from 2010 to '15, finishing with a 173-221 record, including two trips to the playoffs. He was an assistant with the 76ers last season.

''I can't say enough about how excited I am about the challenge,'' Williams said. ''Not just this season but going forward.''

Here are a few more things to watch with the Suns this season:

WELCOME RUBIO

Arguably the most important offseason addition was Rubio, a 6-foot-4 point guard who is in his ninth NBA season. He was with the Utah Jazz the past two years and they made the playoffs both seasons.

The Spaniard gives the Suns the true pass-first point guard they lacked for most of last season. He's averaged nearly eight assists per game over his career.

VETERAN BIGS

The 6-foot-10 Saric is still just 25 years old and has shown promise with the 76ers and Timberwolves. The Suns hope he can find a home in the desert, providing an inside-outside threat next to Ayton.

The wide-bodied 6-foot-10 Baynes should provide useful minutes for the Suns in the paint. He has lots of experience on winning teams, including winning an NBA title as a backup with the San Antonio Spurs in 2014.

The 7-foot Kaminsky can stretch the floor. He shot about 35% from 3-point range during his four seasons with Charlotte before coming the Suns in the offseason.

PROMISING ROOKIES

Compared to many NBA rookies, Johnson and Jerome are old guys. Both should provide depth on the perimeter.

The 6-foot-9 Johnson was the No. 11 pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves before coming to the Suns in a trade. He averaged 17 points per game and shot 46% from 3-point range for North Carolina as a fifth-year senior.

The 6-foot-5 Jerome won an NCAA championship with the Virginia Cavaliers last season. He averaged 13.6 points, 5.5 assists and shot 40% on 3-pointers in his junior season.

OPENING STRETCH

The Suns should get a good gauge on their early progress before Halloween.

Phoenix opens at home against the Sacramento Kings on Oct. 23 before a brutal three-game, four-day stretch that includes a road game against the Denver Nuggets before home games against the Los Angeles Clippers and Utah Jazz.

All three teams are expected to be among the Western Conference elite this year.

Comment

Jazz pairing improved offense with already tough defense
                        October 15, 2019
                        By The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Playing rugged defense has helped Utah become a consistent playoff team.

Now the Jazz seek to become a bigger postseason threat with a more versatile offense.

Utah made a flurry of offseason moves designed to bolster the team's outside shooting and give coach Quin Snyder additional shot creators. The Jazz traded for veteran point guard Mike Conley and signed small forward Bojan Bogdanovic, both of whom were leading scorers on their previous teams. Utah also added Jeff Green to give the team another versatile shooter.

The roster makeover is designed to take some of the scoring and shot creation burden away from Donovan Mitchell.

''It's no secret we want to pick-and-roll a lot,'' Mitchell said. ''It honestly makes my life easier trying to find guys. Now (opponents) have a harder decision to make on defense.''

If Mitchell takes another step forward in his third season, defensive decisions for opponents will become even more complicated. He averaged a team-high 23.8 points per game a year ago but shot just 43.2% from the field while facing relentless defensive pressure.

Utah's newest additions figure to give Mitchell easier looks at the basket and make the whole offense run smoother.

Conley averaged 21.1 points and dished out 6.4 assists per game in his final season with Memphis. Bogdanovic averaged a career-best 18 points per game for Indiana last season while shooting 49.7% from the field. Green tallied 12.3 points per game for Washington on 47.5% shooting.

These new additions have the Jazz setting some lofty goals.

''Obviously, our ultimate goal is to win the championship,'' Conley said. ''We're not fooling ourselves like we've been there, done that. We're gonna come in and work every day and try to maximize each day.''

Other things to know about the Jazz heading into the season:

CENTER OF ATTENTION

Rudy Gobert posted career highs in points (15.9) and rebounds (12.9) per game, as well as field goal percentage (.669), in his sixth NBA season. He capped it off with his second straight defensive player of the year award.

Now Gobert has set his sights on reaching his first NBA All-Star game as he enters his seventh year. He believes the Jazz have put him in a position to make an even bigger impact by plugging in players around him and Mitchell who will create more spacing on the floor.

''They can build a team around us and around our abilities to put a lot of pressure on the rim,'' Gobert said. ''It's on me to be the guy that I've been defensively, even better, and offensively keep showing I'm getting better every year.''

PERIMETER UPGRADE

Getting long-distance shots to fall ended up being a problem for Utah during a first-round playoff exit against Houston. Outside shooting could now be a strength for the Jazz going forward.

Five current players ranked in the Top 100 in 3-point shooting percentage a season ago.

Bogdanovic leads the way after ranking 10th in the league in 3-point shooting last season. The forward, who signed a four-year, $73 million contract with the Jazz in July, connected on 42.5% of his outside shots with the Pacers last year.

Utah will find ways to pair him with Joe Ingles, the team's top returning perimeter shooter. Ingles made 39.1% of his attempts last season.

TRANSITION STOPPERS

Defending well in transition was a key component of Utah's defense last season. The Jazz ranked second in the league when it came to defending transition baskets, allowing opponents to score just 11.4 fastbreak points per game.

Utah led the NBA in the same category two years ago, allowing 9.5 fastbreak points per contest. Expect it to be a point of emphasis again.

''Doesn't matter who's on the floor, we gotta get back,'' Snyder said.

SECOND CHANCE

Former lottery pick Emmanuel Mudiay signed with the Jazz on a one-year, $1.7 million deal in July. He is coming off four mostly disappointing seasons with Denver and New York. He did show some flashes of potential with the Knicks a year ago, averaging a career-best 14.8 points.

Mudiay has dealt with an injured hamstring during the preseason, complicating his bid to become the backup point guard behind Conley.

EXUM REHABBING

Injuries have limited Exum to 56 games over the last two seasons. He continues to rehab from a season-ending knee injury a year ago.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Exum is in the second year of a three-year, $33 million deal he signed with Utah in 2018.

Comment

Grizzlies ready to win now with a pair of 20-year-olds,
                          October 15, 2019
                          By The Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) Veteran center Jonas Valanciunas chuckled at the idea the revamped Memphis Grizzlies are in a rebuilding process that could take a couple of seasons.

''We can make it in one year,'' Valanciunas said. ''If we're going to be successful, it's on us now to work, give everything on the court, off the court as well. Everybody talking about rebuilding and this and that, we just got to do it ourselves. We just got to play hard, do everything that we need to do, and we can go. Goal is to be good now.''

That may be a tall order for a team anchored by a pair of 20-year-olds in Jaren Jackson Jr. and Ja Morant and a first-year head coach.

This is a nearly a completely different roster after the Grizzlies shredded the final ties to their past during the offseason, demoting their last general manager to scout duties and firing coach J.B. Bickerstaff hours after last season ended. Zach Kleiman, the executive vice president of basketball operations, revised the roster in a flurry of deals, including seven trades with the biggest sending Mike Conley to Utah.

''We're playing to win,'' Kleiman said.

They also benefited from draft lottery luck rarely seen since this franchise relocated to Memphis. The Grizzlies went from possibly sending their first-round pick to Boston to fulfill a 2015 deal for Jeff Green to their highest selection in a decade at No. 2.

Memphis selected the Murray State point guard in Morant to replace Conley and pair with Jackson, the fourth overall selection a year ago. The Grizzlies also have a new coach in Taylor Jenkins.

''A lot of first time people around here,'' Jackson said of his second NBA coach. ''So that kind of energy is infectious ... He's straightforward. What you see is what you get. And he's a very excited person. And I'm glad he's here.''

Some other things to know about the revamped Grizzlies who open the season Oct. 23 at Miami:

NEW COACH, NEW STYLE

Jenkins is the Grizzlies' fourth head coach since Memphis reached the 2013 Western Conference finals, and he coached the team without either Jackson or Morant to the Summer League title. Jenkins was Mike Budenholzer's assistant in Milwaukee and for five seasons in Atlanta. The Grizzlies insist they are committed to Jenkins, and he wants Memphis to play a motion-style offense with pace and space, clearing everyone to take 3s.

''I really hope the fans are excited about it even though we've got a lot of new players,'' Jenkins said. ''The new style play will be something that they can really latch on to, and every night whether they're coming to games and watching at home they're excited by what they see.''

GRIZZLIES' NEW DUO

For years the Grizzlies' key players were center Marc Gasol and Conley. Now their future solidly is in the hands of Jackson and Morant, a couple of talented 20-year-olds. Grizzlies guard Dillon Brook said Morant and Jackson have so much potential, and he's already been impressed by the rookie.

''He looks amazing,'' Brooks said of Morant. ''He looks like Derrick Rose. Whatever you guys are saying in the media is exactly what he looks like. He's going to be a great player to watch.''

Jenkins has Jackson, Morant and Valanciunas as sure starters. The coach also wants Morant playing fast and aggressive, not looking over his shoulder worried that Jenkins thinks he's making too many mistakes.

''I want him to go full bore, and at the end of the day he'll figure out what kind of player he is going to be with his long career ahead of him,'' Jenkins said.

VETERAN HELP

Valanciunas isn't the only veteran on this roster. The Grizzlies also brought in guard Tyus Jones, Jae Crowder, center Miles Plumlee and Solomon Hill. Kyle Anderson also is back from shoulder surgery that ended last season after 40 starts for Memphis.

INJURED

Valanaciunas is recovering from a sore foot from training camp but is expected to be ready for the opener. Forward De'Anthony Melton could be out up to two months recovering from a stress reaction in his back in an injury announced late last month.

WHITHER IGUODALA

Yes, the Grizzlies and Andre Iguodala agreed that the veteran should stay away. He remains on the roster until the Grizzlies either receive an offer they can live with or are forced to make a roster move.

Comment

Inexperienced Hornets turn to Rozier in post-Kemba era
                            October 15, 2019
                            By The Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) Terry Rozier arrived in Charlotte with a tremendous chip on his shoulder.

The 25-year-old point guard is eager to prove he can lead an NBA team after spending four years as a backup with the Boston Celtics. He will get that opportunity this season in Charlotte where he'll replace Kemba Walker, the franchise's all-time leading scorer, and average more than 30 minutes a game.

''I don't let anything stop me from what I want to do,'' Rozier said upon his arrival. ''I'm still hungry.''

Rozier, who describes himself as ''competitive as hell,'' has a tough task ahead of him replacing an extremely popular player who developed into a three-time All-Star and became the face of the franchise before leaving to join the Celtics.

The fact that many around the league see the Hornets as a cellar dweller this season only adds fuel to Rozier's internal fire.

''I've been overlooked,'' Rozier said. ''... Us guys in that locker room have each other. We don't care about the TV or blogs. We control what we can control.''

Rozier averaged 9 points and 2.9 assists per game last season for the Celtics in 79 games. Walker averaged 25.6 points per game.

Hornets second-year coach James Borrego has made it clear he doesn't expect Rozier to take on Walker's scoring load. But Borrego does expect him to take ownership on the court and pave the way for younger players to develop.

''I expect Terry to lead,'' Borrego said. ''And sometimes that is just his effort on the floor, how he comes to work every day. This is a kid who does work hard, and we need him to step up as a leader.''

Some other things to watch with the Hornets this season...

WASHINGTON'S ROLE

Rookie PJ Washington has a chance to start right away for the Hornets at power forward. Borrego said he's impressed with Washington's feel for the game saying, ''He's been fantastic.'' Said Borrego: ''He picks things up, high IQ, plays the right way and can shoot the ball. It's been very exciting to watch him so far.'' If Washington gets the starting nod over veteran Nic Batum it would allow the team could move Miles Bridges to small forward and start a lineup that includes Rozier, Dwayne Bacon, Bridges, Washington and Zeller.

MONK'S BIG SEASON

This is an important season for shooting guard Malik Monk, who is still trying to nail down a starting job entering his third season. The knock on Monk has been his well-publicized defensive struggles, which he says are unwarranted. He's responded by adding 23 pounds this offseason, which he hopes keeps him from getting bumped off the spot on defense. ''I feel way different,'' Monk said. Borrego has already told players if they aren't going to commit to playing great defense, they won't be seeing many minutes.

ZELLER'S HEALTH

Cody Zeller said he's feeling better than he has in a long time, and the Hornets will need him to stay healthy to be competitive. The 7-foot center has missed 82 of 164 games over the last two seasons with a myriad of injuries ranging from knee problems to hand fractures to quad bruises. Zeller said he's tired of the freak injuries and hopes the worst is behind him.

PREVENTING TURNOVERS

Turnovers have been a major issue for the Hornets in the preseason, but Borrego attributes some of that to players playing together for the first time. ''This is a new group playing together for the first time, playing with more base, multiple guys touching it,'' Borrego said. ''We're going to have to clean up that area. I don't know if it will be an issue or not, but it has been in the preseason so far.''

Comment

Davis, James begin Lakers partnership with sky-high hopes
                              October 15, 2019
                              By The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) Anthony Davis doesn't raise a brow at the high expectations he's accepting with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The 26-year-old superstar engineered his move from New Orleans to Hollywood knowing that championships are the only acceptable result to the Lakers' legions of demanding fans. After spending his entire NBA career struggling to lift the underdog Pelicans, he welcomed the chance to play for a team and in a city where every game means something big.

And Davis doesn't have to carry his new team, either. LeBron James is here to share the work.

''We're going to feed off each other tremendously,'' Davis said. ''I think we're two guys who are very selfless and just want to win. When we have two guys like that, it makes both of our jobs easier.''

James has spent his entire adult life facing championship pressure, and his chances of meeting those expectations for a fourth time got exponentially better when the Lakers put these two superstars together. James looks forward to finding chemistry with Davis to create an immediate winner - and to persuade Davis to stick around when he hits free agency next summer.

''We've got a brand-new coaching staff and brand-new players coming to our system, but we do all know how good Anthony Davis is,'' James said. ''If we're not playing through Anthony Davis while he's on the floor, then it makes no sense to have him on the floor, because he's that great.''

This 16-time championship franchise is currently mired in a record six-year postseason drought, but everything is different and everything is possible this winter. The buzz around the Lakers never truly dissipates in LA, but it hasn't been this loud since 2012.

''When your starting point of your roster is two of the best players in the universe, that's a really strong starting point,'' Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka said.

Frank Vogel is spending his first few months as the Lakers' coach figuring out how to mold a cohesive team around his two superstars. He'll experiment with lineups, rotations and rest while the Lakers figure out how to play together in a season they expect to last well into the spring.

''The belief is strong in what we can be as a team,'' Vogel said. ''Everybody is looking at their teammates, and there's a healthy respect going into the season. When the belief is strong at the outset, it's just about focusing in on the work.''

Here are more things to watch in a tantalizing season in Lakerland:

KUZMA STAYS

Kyle Kuzma is the only component remaining from the Lakers' talented young core after Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart were shipped to New Orleans for Davis. Kuzma didn't participate in training camp while dealing with a stress injury in his leg, but he should be ready soon. The high-scoring forward's skill set could fit well alongside the Lakers' two superstars, and Kuzma realizes he has a golden opportunity. ''I'm looking forward to reaching the next level with my own game,'' he said. ''This is a great chance for me to reach my potential.''

DWIGHT'S RETURN

The Lakers' decision to re-sign Dwight Howard might have been the most shocking development of the entire offseason. The mercurial center spent one season with the Lakers in 2012-13 before clashing with Kobe Bryant and then fleeing town as a free agent. Howard has been booed mercilessly at Staples Center ever since, but he became the Lakers' backup plan in the middle after DeMarcus Cousins tore a knee ligament shortly after signing with LA. Howard campaigned for a spot with the Lakers, and they gave him a non-guaranteed contract. If the newly humbled Howard recaptures his game, the Lakers will have an enormous asset at a minor cost.

SUPPORTING ACTORS

The Lakers supplemented their roster with an intriguing mix of veterans, including newcomers Danny Green, Jared Dudley, Avery Bradley, Troy Daniels and Quinn Cook. Vogel will look for perimeter scoring to complement James' drives and Davis' inside play, with Green and Daniels particularly expected to provide 3-point shooting proficiency. Every signee probably will get ample opportunity to play their way into a regular rotation spot while competing with holdovers Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Alex Caruso and Rajon Rondo.

VOGEL'S FLOCK

When they replaced Luke Walton after three straight losing seasons, the Lakers chose the 46-year-old Vogel over Tyronn Lue, who landed down the hallway with the Clippers instead of reteaming with James. Vogel got impressive results with limited resources in Indiana, but he has never coached stars of the Lakers' dual magnitude. He also has a coaching staff including Jason Kidd and Lionel Hollins, two former NBA head coaches. The early results from this arranged marriage are promising, with James praising Vogel's attention to detail.

LA TAKEDOWN

James wasn't joking when he labeled Staples Center as the true winner of the NBA's offseason moves. The Lakers and the Clippers both created probable title contenders, and their shared arena will be the center of basketball for much of the winter, with 82 sold-out games a distinct possibility. Out-of-towners shouldn't get it twisted about which team is preferred in their shared hometown, however: The Lakers' fan base wildly outnumbers the Clippers' faithful, to the point where Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have already been booed while attending other sports events around Los Angeles. The teams meet Tuesday in their season openers, and again on Christmas.

Comment

Blazers want to take next step after playoff success
                                October 15, 2019
                                By The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) The Trail Blazers got a taste of playoff success last season and that's shifted their mindset. Simply making the playoffs is no longer the goal, a championship is.

Damian Lillard is once again joined in the backcourt by CJ McCollum but the supporting cast changed in the offseason with the Blazers bringing in Hassan Whiteside, Anthony Tolliver, Kent Bazemore and Pau Gasol.

''It'll be tough in the West, but it's always tough,'' McCollum said. ''A lot of teams are good, a lot of teams are deep. Obviously, injuries will play a factor in what happens this year - that's always a factor as the playoffs get closer and closer, the team that stays healthy has the best chance. Hopefully we can be one of those teams that's healthy.''

The Blazers finished 53-29 last season and clinched the third seed in the Western Conference, earning home court for the first round. Portland wrapped up their first-round series in five games, capped by Lillard's memorable walk-off 3-pointer, and went on to make the conference finals for the first time in 19 years.

And the Blazers were able to go deep despite a key injury.

Starting center Jusuf Nurkic broke his leg during a game in March and was out for the playoffs. He was averaging 15.6 points and 10.4 rebounds when he got injured.

The Blazers were able to turn to Enes Kanter, who was waived by the New York Knicks following the trade deadline and signed by Portland for the rest of the season, to get them through the playoffs. Kanter moved on in the offseason to the Celtics.

So, it makes sense the Blazers shored up their options at center while Nurkic continues to rehab, adding Whiteside and Gasol.

Whiteside was acquired from the Heat in a four-team deal that sent Meyers Leonard to Miami and Moe Harkless to the L.A. Clippers. Whiteside averaged 12.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 1.89 blocks per game last season in Miami, something of a dropoff from his previous three seasons with the team.

''I feel wanted. I feel like there was an urgent, urgent need at the center right now. That dominance force, coming in the paint, shot blocking, rebounding,'' Whiteside said. ''I really feel like I can help this team.''

How he gels with the team will be key to Portland's success this season.

GASOL'S STATUS:
                                The 39-year old veteran has been limited in fall camp because of a surgery he had in February. It ended a frustrating season that started with the Spurs and ended with the Milwaukee Bucks. He is grateful to have landed in Portland and said he believes he can contribute to the team.

''I hope to add leadership on and off the court, experience, and also quality of play. I'm excited after a difficult health year, (which was) frustrating,'' he said. ''I'm excited to just work on my body and be healthy so I can do what I do on the floor and just have fun with the guys and compete and play as hard as I can.''

NURK'S RETURN?: It is uncertain when Nurkic will be able to return - and when he does it will be with a steel rod that was placed in his left leg to help repair multiple compound fractures.

President of Basketball Operations Neil Olshey said the team would be purposely vague about the rehab because he doesn't want to make the season ''Nurk Watch 2019.'' Nurk himself said he'd be ready when he's ready.

''Every time I talked to him, he was training,'' Lillard said. ''That's not made up. He was really trying to get going.''

LILLARD MAXES OUT: The team's on-court leader is set to be in Portland for a long time. Lillard, who averaged 25.8 points and 6.9 assists and earned his fourth All-Star nod last season, signed a super-max contract extension in the offseason worth $196 million.

''It's a great feeling knowing that we have that commitment to each other,'' Lillard said. ''But also that I'm still able to push forward with my personal goals, which is to win the championship here and to be the best player to ever play here. It allows me that much more time to continue pursuing that, and to be here. So, it's an honor for me.''

50TH ANNIVERSARY: The Blazers are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the franchise. During the preseason they held a game at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, where the team played from 1970 to 1995. Other events are scheduled throughout the season. The team's court has also been repainted to commemorate the event.

Comment

Working...
                                X