X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• santa anita

SANTA ANITA -- Race #7 -- EL DON (#3)
    __________________________________________________ __________________

The 7th race is a 2nd level allowance at 1-1/16 miles on dirt. Par is a 107. EL DON (5-2) comes off a spectacular set of figures from his win in a 1st level allowance route at Hollywood Park on 11/27. He sat in behind a solid pace for the opening half, held steady while the leaders blitzed the interior fraction of the race and then he wore down a horse that had taken over the lead and had looked like he was going to be long gone. EL DON earned a 101-106-109 for the 105 level which means his final figure was about 4 lengths faster than the 1st level allowance par and it was even faster than the typical 107 par for this 2nd level allowance. The fact that he was able to swing into action during that fast middle part of the race means that there shouldn't be any type of pace in today's race that can successfully discourage him from gaining a stalking position. The 109 is a very lofty figure for a 3 year old colt to earn at the N1X level and means that he has enough talent to think about stakes competition in the near future. Gary Stevens rode him to victory last time out and takes the mount again today. I think the 2nd place finisher from that race has already come back to win. There are 3 solid workouts since raced and all systems seem "go" for him to win at the 2nd allowance level.

I'm looking for a very solid early pace to be set by SIREN LURE (10-1) and AMERICAN LIBERTY (6-1). Right in behind those 2 speedsters should be the stalkers like EL DON, CAPITANO (10-1) and SAINT BUDDY (7-2). SAINT BUDDY should look like a sharp contender at the top of the stretch but he is not much of a win-type and he always starts to hang a bit at the end. EL DON can definitely handle him if it comes down to those two. I'm actually looking for SIREN LURE to run a very game race in his first two turn race and he may be tough enough to outfinish SAINT BUDDY down the lane. SKUKUZA (9-2) may find himself farther behind a faster early pace than he's been running against. He should make a good late run but it may not be good enough for anything better than a minor award.

EL DON is the spot play and strong win candidate if he runs back to anything that resembles his last effort. He is a gutsy win-type so a win bet is recommended. For the exotics I will key him to SIREN LURE who may go off a nice price and could hold on for a solid piece of the pie, and also SAINT BUDDY. Good luck.

just want to give everybody a heads up about santa anita it is sloppy!!

Comment

Working...
    X