Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Best Bets including the Whitney

YTD: +0.50 after a big Friday

All plays rated, as usual, at $10 to win and place.

Saratoga Race 1 Play #1 Colonial Bay
    Pick is for TURF ONLY. Won five weeks ago off a one year layoff in a top level allowance race at an easier track. Wisely spotted in a $50,000 claimer here. Trainer Motion and rider Prado teamed up for a win earlier in the week. Draws advantageous rail post. 12-of-17 lifetime win or place. If rains come but don't wash the race onto the main track, a somewhat softened turf course works to this horse's advantage.

Saratoga Race 9 Gr. I Whitney Hcp. Play #7 Seattle Fitz
    May be the best race of the year for older horses. Wide open nine horse field with lots of speed. Sets up nicely for Seattle Fitz who can either press the pace or come from behind. Won two in a row against slightly softer stakes competition before given a brief rest. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin won three races here in the last two days and has a tendency to be very streaky. Presence of Peace Rules, Perfect Drift, Bowman's Band and others helps elevate our price.

Del Mar Race 2 Play #3 Highly Tempting
    Hikes from $10,000 claiming to $12,500 but that's misleading because the other strong horse in here raced in the same $10,000 claiming race. Just missed in that last race but was well wide and had the lead before getting caught. This race is a half-furlong shorter which is a big help. Claimed out of last race by a trainer who wins nearly half the time off the claim. First or second in 11 of his 21 starts.

Additional Saratoga opinions

Scratches aren't up yet, but if the #11 River Belle draws into the sixth race from the Also Eligible list, I think she has a huge shot. Also, while Seattle Fitz is one of my three best bets today, another horse in today's Whitney, Sarava, looks like a very live longshot. (Neither of these are best bets but may be worth a look.)

Comment

recap

Day got often to a rotten start when Colonial Bay was held by an assistant starter in the gate and spotted the field ten lengths, only to rally and lose by only four. The good news is that all bets were refunded, which were the only cashed tickets on my best bets. The Del Mar horse was fourth and Seattle Fitz is still somewhere on the track. Of the opinions, River Belle won (I wish I had made her a play) and longshot Sarava finished fourth in the Whitney.

YTD: -$39.50

strong Sunday card on which I'll try to bounce back.

Comment

Working...
      X