Best Bets at the Beaches for Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bets at the Beaches for Sunday

YTD: -$10.50 (based on $10 win and place on each selection)

Three of my four best plays today's are at oceanside tracks---Monmouth and Del Mar. There's no beach at Saratoga but yesterday there for me was a beach.

Monmouth Park Race 3 Play #5 Shane Jules
    Two year old first time starter shows solid works including a fast one from the gate. Bred on both sides to sprint. Trainer solid with first time starters. Price will be hurt because this race reunites the Smarty Jones team of trainer John Servis and rider Stewart Elliott but this one could be really good and Servis ships away from Philly Park only when he has something.

Monmouth Park Race 9 Trenton Stakes Play #6 Smokey Glacken
    Pick is good for TURF OR DIRT. Three year old filly comes back off five month layoff after very fast races last fall and winter. Has pedigree to enjoy turf and wet track breeding if it is rained onto the main course. Top New York trainer Jim Jerkens is 3-for-6 shipping into Monmouth and gets leading rider Joe Bravo.

Saratoga Race 7 Play #2 Shoot (ON TURF) or #10 Nevermore (ON DIRT)
    I have a dual selection here because it's raining again at Saratoga and there's a good chance this grass race will be switched to the main course. My selections are stickouts in any event. If on turf, play #2 Shoot. Just missed at this level last out in first U.S. start for trainer Bobby Frankel and rider Jerry Bailey. Meets an unusually soft field for a Saratoga turf race at this level. If switched to the dirt, play #10 Nevermore. Monster workout eight days ago. Had won three in a row before being rested in May. Breeding to handle a wet track and the 1 1/8 mile distance. (There is no chance both horses will run as Nevermore is entered "main track only.")

Del Mar Race 3 Play #6 Secure Line
    Maiden was sent out at even money in career debut two weeks ago at Hollywood Park. Ran only fourth. There's a reason he took all that betting action and it should show today. Bred top and bottom for sprinting. Trainer won a maiden race in an an upset on Saturday.

All selections rated at $10 to win and place

Opinion only: (not a rated selection) Storm Flag Flying in a mild upset in the Grade I Go For Wand at Saratoga. Both of the favorites, Azeri and Sightseek, seem to have had their best days in the past. Storm Flag Flying, two year old filly champion in 2002, is finally fulfilling her promise.
    Last edited by griswold; 08-01-2004, 01:31 AM.

Update

As expected, with it raining again in the east, races are off the turf at both Saratoga and Monmouth. That means the play in the Saratoga race is on #10 Nevermore (the #2 is, of course, scratched). The play on Smokey Glacken at Monmouth is still good as a wet dirt track should help him.

Also, with the wet track I have an unrated opinion only on #9 Garret's Gulch in the 5th at Saratoga. Good luck.

Comment

recap

Smokey Glacken won at Monmouth, paying $5.20 to win and $4.00 to place but Shane Jules could manage only third at the same track. Nevermore, heavily bet, was second at Saratoga and paid a measly $2.80 to place. The day would have ended up on the plus side but Secure Line got caught just before the wire, paying $3.60 to place.

Wagered: $80 (based on to $10 to win and place on each selection)
      Cashed: $78

Loss: -$2

YTD: -$12.50 (still very good against racetrack takeouts but not where I intend for it to be)

there might be a play or two Monday

Comment

Gris

Thanks for the write ups! Used a couple today!! Thanks hc

Comment

Working...
        X