Preakness Stakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preakness Stakes

Well I never figured the track would come up that speed favoring at Churchill Downs two weeks ago and that kind of made a mess of my picks. But anyway I'll give it another try because as gamblers we live for the next race.
    I actually had the priviledge of going to The Preakness in 1994, the year that I got married with my wife and brother. Got general admission tickets to the "infield" with about 60,000 other nuts and witnessed the largest outdoor frat party in the world. Just couldn't bring myself to climb up to the top of the 15 coolers that were stacked up and jump into a beer puddle. Just call me old fashioned.

Anyway onto my selections, again please don't let me change your mind these are just my ramblings.

From the wood out:

Lion Heart: Thought he would get challenged on the lead in the Derby which never materialized. If you watched the earlier races that day, speed held up pretty much. Inside post, tight turns and only 1 other speed horse might set it up for him today.

Borrego: Made a nice move in the Derby but no one was touching the top two. Still hasn't beaten Smarty.

Little Matth Man: Looks way overmatched.

The Cliff's Edge: Scratched

Song of the Sword: Checked in the Derby, like the rider switch.

Sir Shackleton: Was probably going to be Zito's rabbit in this race for Edge but now will Zito not send him to the lead and try to win this the hard way.

Smarty Jones: Has done nothing wrong. The horse to beat.

Imperialism: Made up the most ground in the derby. Still feel he might be too far out of it to win.

Eddington: Can't throw out the Wood Memorial finish because of the bad showing at the Derby by the other horses. Could be setting him up for the Belmont.

Rock Hard Ten: Got knocked out of the derby because of earnings, Stevens flying in from Europe for the ride. All business.

Water Cannon: 5 straight wins after the blinkers on. No Beyers over 90.

Summary: I'm hoping that Sir Shackleton will go with Lion Heart at the start and soften hi up a little. Watched the Pimlico Special this afternoon and looked like track was speed favoring as usual. If this track gets a little moisture in it the opposite of Churchill happens. Horses tend to bog down on the inside and in the stretch the middle of the track is where you want to be. Smarty Jones should be stalking the whole way and will give his usual all out effort. I don't like to play horses that were not in the Derby since only 1 in 20 years has won (Red Bullet) but I feel the owners must have paid a fortune to get Stevens out of his riding contract in Europe plus promised him a ton to come over for the race. The horse was still running green in the Santa Anita Derby and he should be right behind Smarty Jones at the top of the stretch and hopefully can run him down at the end.

10/1-7/1789

Rock Hard Ten to win
    Lion Heart and Smarty Jones second
    Lion Heart, Smarty Jones, Imperialism, Eddington third

Good Luck everyone

Phil

A long way back to second but I did hit the trifecta and exacta. Don't play Superfectas but would have had that too. Hats off to Smarty Jones and the Philly connections.

We could use a triple crown winner

Phil

Comment

Nice job I wish I read this earlier I had all but Rock Hard Ten. Good hit

Comment

Working...
      X