X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbaro has another significant setback

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT,
    AP Racing Writer 47 minutes ago

Barbaro suffered another significant setback in his recovery, forcing doctors to choose a risky approach to try and save the ailing Kentucky Derby winner.

Barbaro no longer is bearing weight on the right hind leg he shattered eight months ago in the Preakness Stakes after undergoing surgery Saturday to place two steel pins through a bone.

The biggest fear is that the bone bearing the weight — the cannon bone — can break.

"We will continue to treat Barbaro aggressively as long as he remains bright, alert and eating," Dr. Dean Richardson, chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., said Sunday.

"This is another significant setback that exemplifies how complex his medical situation remains because both hind limbs have major problems."

This is the first time in weeks the right hind leg has been the focus of concern. For months, it was the left hind leg that put Barbaro's recovery in serious jeopardy because of laminitis, the often-fatal hoof disease.

Richardson, in an update released by the New Bolton Center, said.

I wish Barbaro the best of luck.

I can see why now they opt to put a horse down rather than try to proceed with surgery. It's been almost a year and this horse is still having problems. I'm sure it's cost the owners lots of cash with medical bills to try and save this horse.
    MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

Originally posted by weazel079
      I wish Barbaro the best of luck.

I can see why now they opt to put a horse down rather than try to proceed with surgery. It's been almost a year and this horse is still having problems. I'm sure it's cost the owners lots of cash with medical bills to try and save this horse.

MONEY was the reason behind it.

There's more money in breeding than in racing, that's why they are quicker to retire horse now.
      Good Luck to everyone
      Adam

Richie: [after Gus hits a homerun] Wow and he did it without steroids.
      Clark: What's steroids?
      Richie: Something that makes your pee-pee smaller.
      Clark: There must be steroids in macaroni!

Comment

Working...
      X