• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday's NHL Trends and Indexes - 1/27

Trends and Indexes

Wednesday, January 27

Good Luck on day #27 of 2016!

NOTE:
    As information becomes available, we will attempt to post the trends and indexes as soon as possible.
    Information is posted from what we believe are reliable sources.
    Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the posting member or BettorsChat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matchup Links

NHL Matchups

NHL Injuries

NHL Hot and Not

NASCAR Schedules

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armadillo: Wednesday's six-pack

-- Georgetown 74, Creighton 73-- Bluejays led 70-59 with 2:34 left to play.

-- Wisconsin 82, Indiana 79 OT-- Badgers are 15-1 in last 16 games vs Indiana.

-- LSU 89, Georgia 85-- Tigers were 37-55 on foul line. Georgia was 15-24.

-- San Diego State 57, Nevada 54-- Wolf Pack led most of way, couldn't finish.

-- Virginia 72, Wake Forest 71-- Cavaliers were down 71-64 with 0:16 left.

-- Thunder 128, Knicks 122 OT-- Knicks are more fun to watch without Anthony; they're not quite as good, but they play harder.

Armadillo: Wednesday's List of 13: Mid-week Musings........

13) Blake Griffin has been out since Christmas with a quadriceps injury, now he is out another 4-6 weeks after breaking his hand when he punched a member of the team's equipment staff outside a Toronto restaurant. Not good.

Some advice for the equipment guy.........
    -- Blake Griffin is a very large man. probably a bad idea to get him so mad that he wants to break his hand on your face.
    -- No matter who is at fault here, Griffin is one of the team's stars; the other guy is a member of the equipment staff. Guess who is going to lose his job over this.

12) Why some teams win and some teams do not: You see Jonathan Simmons with the Spurs, you see how explosive he is going to the basket and you figure he will be their next guy to emerge as a star, after toiling in obscurity. Then you realize he was on the Nets' summer league team in Orlando last summer and you wonder why they let him go to the Spurs' summer league team a couple weeks later in Las Vegas.

The Nets should've signed him up when they has the chance, but they hesitated and then he was gone to the Alamo, playing for a better team that is smarter than the Nets.

11) Scapegoats: Green Bay fired their RB and TE coaches, Patriots fired their OL coach because, you know, someone has to get the blame for the team losing.

10) There is a new show on Showtime called Billions, about Wall Street and all the deals/cheating that goes on and the authorities who try and catch them. The main guy in the show usually wears t-shirts even though he is, as the title suggests, worth a lot of money. One of the storylines last week involved the t-shirt guy paying a college $100M to put his family's name on one of the buildings, which already had someone's name on it. The guy at the college didn't understand why it had to be THAT building

Turns out the t-shirt guy comes from modest means; he was a caddy at a country club as a kid-- a looper, as my friend Joe would say. Back in the day, t-shirt guy had been a caddy for the rich family whose name was on that college building and when the old man had a bad day golfing, he blamed it on his caddy and had t-shirt guy fired from the country club as a caddy. T-shirt guy never forgot that.

Thirty years later, the rich family had fallen on hard times; the old man was deceased, the rest of the family needed money fast or they were going to go broke and t-shirt guy found this out, so he paid the college off, then tossed the family $25M so they could see their name physically removed from the building and replaced by his. Vindictive.

Anyway, the show is on Sunday nights and it isn't bad.

9) Kansas basketball coach Bill Self was once college roommates with singer Garth Brooks, who was a javelin thrower at Oklahoma State- Self played basketball.

8) SNY in New York City televises Mets games all summer; they promote their channel as "just New York sports", which is fine, but the Loud Mouths program had a thing on the other night where they showed the pictures of four NBA head coaches, and the two hosts admitted they had no idea who three of them were. They both knew who Quin Snyder was, because he coached Missouri and played at Duke.

If you're running this station, do you want your hosts telling viewers how little they know about the NBA? Especially since Nuggets coach Michael Malone spent four years as an assistant coach with the Knicks? Guys get paid decent money to give their opinions on stuff and it turns out they're ignorant about one of the most popular sports. Not their finest moment.

7) Remember the movie Scent of a Woman, when Al Pacino plays a blind guy who had been injured in the Marines? Chris O'Donnell plays a prep school kid who serves as Pacino's aide for a while. In one scene, Pacino does the tango in a Manhattan restaurant with this beautiful young lady, who looked vaguely familiar to me.

So I look her up on the Interweb; her name is Gabrielle Anwar; she was the co-star in USA Network's Burn Notice that ran the last few years, about former spies who do special ops-type stuff in Miami to assist people who need their help. 20 years later and she is still quite beautiful.

6) This Saturday, the Big X and most of the SEC take time out from conference play for a series of televised games that should raise the RPI's of everyone involved. The Big X-SEC challnge should be fun. Some of the better games:

Ole Miss-Kansas State.....LSU-Oklahoma....Iowa State-Texas A&M.....and the best game of the day, Kentucky at Kansas.

5) Wayne Gretzky wore #99 thru his whole NHL career; the number has been retired by the league. But in his first game with the Edmonton Oilers, back in the old WHA, Gretzky wore #24. After that game, he requested #99 and that was the end of #24.

4) There have been 221 coaching changes in the NBA since Gregg Popovich has been coach of the San Antonio Spurs. 29 other teams- thats 7.6 changes per team.

3) George Karl has the Sacramento Kings contending for a playoff spot- don't read articles anymore about his impending dismissal. DeMarcus Cousins is playing really well and they have some solid players around him. Fun team to watch. Cousins has to be on the All-Star team or the thing is a joke.

2) Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was quoted recently as saying that spread offenses in college have hurt the development of offensive linemen for the NFL, because in a spread offense, linemen don't do lot of the things that NFL lineman have to do in an NFL-style offense, so when they move up to the pros, there is some remedial training that has to be done, which sets their development back some. Makes sense.

1) Dan Gable is the John Wooden of college wrestling; he won 15 national titles as the coach at Iowa, after he won a gold medal at the '72 Olympics himself. His career record as a college wrestler was 181-1. Pretty tough guy.

I mention this because 35 or so years ago, our paths crossed. The wrestling team at UAlbany had a triangular match with Springfield College and Iowa, a very big deal for them. Iowa was in midst of winning ten national titles in a row. There was only one problem- they needed someone to run the clock on the main scoreboard, since they didn't always have matches in the big gym.

I was the basketball manager at Albany, I was good at running the panel for the scoreboard over the basketball floor, so I was elected timekeeper for the day. About three minutes before the first match, with the legendary Gable standing about 20 feet from me, I realized that I had no idea how this all worked-- I had never seen an actual amateur wrestling match, only pro wrestling on TV. No clocks in the WWE.

When did I start the clock? Stop it? How would I know what points to put up? What if Gable passed one of his wrestlers a foreign object? Oh wait, that doesn't happen here, but panic set in. Actually, it was more like terror.

Luckily for me, the referee on the main court was the father of a friend of mine from high school-- I called him over and explained my anxiety. He was cool and explained that he would signal points to me and that the clock ran pretty much like basketball-- on the referee's signal. After that, it was fairly uneventful-- Gable didn't put me in a sleeper hold or anything, and that was my brush with one of the most successful coaches in the history of college sports.

Comment

I've got eye surgery this morning. Here's what's available so far. I'll add the rest asap.

Comment

NHL
        Armadillo's Write-Up

Wednesday, January 27

Hot teams
        -- Tampa Bay won seven of its last eight games.
        -- Washington won seven of its last eight games.
        -- Predators won four of their last five games.
        -- Avalanche won four of its last five games.

Cold teams
        -- Maple Leafs lost eight of their last nine games.
        -- Flyers lost four of their last five games.
        -- Calgary lost six of its last eight games.
        -- Los Angeles is 2-3 in its last five home games.

Series records
        -- Lightning won five of last seven games with Toronto.
        -- Flyers won six of their last eight games with Washington.
        -- Flames won their last four games with Nashville.
        -- Kings won six of last seven games with Colorado.

Totals
        -- Under is 6-2-2 in last ten Toronto games.
        -- Four of last five Philly-Washington games stayed under.
        -- Eight of last ten Nashville-Calgary games went over.
        -- Seven of last eight Colorado games sayed under total.

Back-to-backs
        -- Toronto is 1-10 if it played the night before; post-Florida teams are 3-1.
        -- Nashville is 0-6 if it played the night before; post-Vancouver teams are 3-4.
        -- Colorado is 4-1 on road if it played the night before; post-San Jose teams are 1-3.

NHL

Wednesday, January 27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Trend Report
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 PM
        TORONTO vs. TAMPA BAY
        Toronto is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games on the road
        Toronto is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing Tampa Bay
        Tampa Bay is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
        Tampa Bay is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing Toronto

8:00 PM
        PHILADELPHIA vs. WASHINGTON
        Philadelphia is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
        The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games when playing Washington
        Washington is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games when playing Philadelphia
        The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 6 games at home

9:30 PM
        NASHVILLE vs. CALGARY
        Nashville is 6-13 SU in its last 19 games on the road
        Nashville is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Calgary
        Calgary is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home
        The total has gone OVER in 4 of Calgary's last 5 games when playing at home against Nashville

10:30 PM
        COLORADO vs. LOS ANGELES
        The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Colorado's last 9 games when playing on the road against Los Angeles
        Colorado is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games on the road
        The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Los Angeles's last 9 games when playing at home against Colorado
        Los Angeles is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Colorado

Comment

Hey Udog--Thanks for updating the Dunkel ratings for me yest--better late than never. Now I can see it was a mistake to play VAN and CHI last night.

Good luck with the eye surgery--I just had mine last Fri--was amazed at how simple it was.

Comment

Hey Udog--Thanks for updating the Dunkel ratings for me yest--better late than never. Now I can see it was a mistake to play VAN and CHI last night.

Good luck with the eye surgery--I just had mine last Fri--was amazed at how simple it was.

Comment

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 27, 2016

Toronto
              @
              Tampa Bay

Game 1-2
              January 27, 2016 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating: Toronto
              Tampa Bay
              Dunkel Team:
              Dunkel Line:
              Dunkel Total: Tampa Bay
              by 3
              4 1/2
              Vegas Team:
              Vegas Line:
              Vegas Total: Tampa Bay
              Dunkel Pick: Tampa Bay
              (-235); Under

Philadelphia
              @
              Washington

Game 5-6
              January 27, 2016 @ 9:30 pm

Dunkel Rating: Philadelphia
              Washington
              Dunkel Team:
              Dunkel Line:
              Dunkel Total: Washington
              by 2
              6 1/2
              Vegas Team:
              Vegas Line:
              Vegas Total: Washington
              Dunkel Pick: Washington
              (-215); Over

Nashville
              @
              Calgary

Game 5-6
              January 27, 2016 @ 9:30 pm

Dunkel Rating: Nashville
              Calgary
              Dunkel Team:
              Dunkel Line:
              Dunkel Total: Calgary
              by 1 1/2
              Vegas Team:
              Vegas Line:
              Vegas Total: Nashville
              5 1/2
              Dunkel Pick: Calgary
              (-105); Over

Colorado
              @
              Los Angeles

Game 7-8
              January 27, 2016 @ 10:30 pm

Dunkel Rating: Colorado
              Los Angeles
              Dunkel Team:
              Dunkel Line:
              Dunkel Total: Colorado
              by 1
              Vegas Team:
              Vegas Line:
              Vegas Total: Los Angeles
              Dunkel Pick: Colorado
              (+185); Under
              Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

NHL
                Long Sheet

Wednesday, January 27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (17-21-0-9, 43 pts.) at TAMPA BAY (26-18-0-4, 56 pts.) - 1/27/2016, 7:05 PM
                Top Trends for this game.
                TORONTO is 47-82 ATS (+142.1 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 4-20 ATS (+26.8 Units) in January games over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 12-43 ATS (+65.3 Units) second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 0-12 ATS (+15.9 Units) vs. division opponents this season.
                TORONTO is 6-25 ATS (+39.6 Units) revenging a home loss versus opponent over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 26-55 ATS (+92.3 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 8-29 ATS (+50.2 Units) in road games after allowing 4 goals or more over the last 3 seasons.
                TORONTO is 12-32 ATS (+50.6 Units) after a loss by 2 goals or more in their previous game over the last 2 seasons.
                TORONTO is 2-13 ATS (+20.2 Units) after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game this season.
                TORONTO is 3-19 ATS (+32.8 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
                TAMPA BAY is 11-0 ATS (+11.0 Units) in home games in January games over the last 2 seasons.
                TAMPA BAY is 24-9 ATS (+11.0 Units) after allowing 4 goals or more over the last 2 seasons.
                TAMPA BAY is 323-384 ATS (+844.3 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record since 1996.

Head-to-Head Series History
                TAMPA BAY is 5-4-0 straight up against TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
                5 of 9 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.8 Units)

PHILADELPHIA (20-18-0-8, 48 pts.) at WASHINGTON (35-8-0-3, 73 pts.) - 1/27/2016, 8:05 PM
                PHILADELPHIA is 6-18 ATS (+27.8 Units) in road games second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
                PHILADELPHIA is 3-11 ATS (+14.8 Units) revenging a home loss versus opponent this season.
                PHILADELPHIA is 9-19 ATS (+29.2 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent this season.
                WASHINGTON is 35-11 ATS (+48.5 Units) in all games this season.
                PHILADELPHIA is 15-9 ATS (+26.2 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
                WASHINGTON is 31-45 ATS (-39.2 Units) in home games after 3 or more consecutive overs since 1996.

PHILADELPHIA is 6-4 (+2.2 Units) against the spread versus WASHINGTON over the last 3 seasons
                PHILADELPHIA is 6-4-0 straight up against WASHINGTON over the last 3 seasons
                6 of 10 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+2.0 Units)

NASHVILLE (23-18-0-8, 54 pts.) at CALGARY (21-23-0-3, 45 pts.) - 1/27/2016, 9:35 PM
                There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

CALGARY is 5-2 (+4.5 Units) against the spread versus NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
                CALGARY is 5-2-0 straight up against NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
                5 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+3.4 Units)

COLORADO (26-22-0-3, 55 pts.) at LOS ANGELES (30-15-0-3, 63 pts.) - 1/27/2016, 10:35 PM
                LOS ANGELES is 13-2 ATS (+9.7 Units) after a division game this season.
                LOS ANGELES is 19-6 ATS (+9.7 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent this season.
                LOS ANGELES is 12-3 ATS (+7.3 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
                COLORADO is 120-102 ATS (+16.6 Units) in all games over the last 3 seasons.
                COLORADO is 25-15 ATS (+9.7 Units) in January games over the last 3 seasons.
                COLORADO is 33-25 ATS (+7.8 Units) second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
                COLORADO is 9-4 ATS (+13.6 Units) after a loss by 2 goals or more in their previous game this season.
                COLORADO is 18-9 ATS (+27.4 Units) after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game over the last 2 seasons.
                COLORADO is 13-9 ATS (+24.6 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
                LOS ANGELES is 70-60 ATS (+139.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                LOS ANGELES is 14-23 ATS (-27.1 Units) in January games over the last 3 seasons.

LOS ANGELES is 6-2 (+3.2 Units) against the spread versus COLORADO over the last 3 seasons
                LOS ANGELES is 6-2-0 straight up against COLORADO over the last 3 seasons
                3 of 5 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+1.0 Units)

Comment

Working...
                X