X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB warns teams about Chicago violence

Updated 6/13/11 5:13 p.m.
    Posted 6/13/11 9:11 a.m.

CHICAGO (WLS) - Crime in downtown Chicago has gotten so out of control, even Major League Baseball is taking precautions.

Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden joined WLS Radio's Don Wade and Roma Monday where he said "it's a crying shame."

"Unfortunately, we have a situation downtown that has occured to Major League Baseball is warning their teams about downtown Chicago," Camden said.

LISTEN: FOP Spokesman Pat Camden joins Don Wade and Roma

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney told WLS Radio Monday afternoon it regularly issues reports to all of its clubs regarding news and events in city's that clubs are traveling to.

Courtney says MLB did issue an oral report to all clubs that made mention of the recent uptick in violence but would not call it a 'warning.' Courtney says the reports are issued on a routine basis and the report that discussed mob attacks around Chicago was not released as a special case. Courtney withheld saying when the report was released.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy told the Roe Conn Show with Richard Roeper Monday afternoon it's the first he's heard on the matter.

"Dan Mullin, who is the head of security for Major League Baseball happens to be a friend of mine. He's a former NYPD'er and I'm going to reach out to him and find out if that is in fact true and who's issuing it and if they are, why didn't they touch base with us," McCarthy said.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said over the weekend that they're putting another 150 cops on the street.

"These officers are coming from everywhere across the agency including my office and other administrative positions. I've publicly stated that the single most important thing that we could do is get cops on the street, put them in the hands of the commanders and hold the commanders accountable," McCarthy said.

However, Camden says that cops aren't really being added, they're just being reassigned.

"Well, yeah, he's putting 150 people on the street. He hasn't added anything to the manpower of the police department which has been, you know, really terribly neglected for the past three years. The hiring has been abysmal at best," Camden said.

While he didn't say how many officers the city should hire to make the city safer, Camden noted FOP President Michael Shield's estimation over the weekend that the Chicago Police Department is understaffed by approximately 2,000 officers.

There were no incidents of mob violence this weekend, thanks to the beefed up police presence.

"What they're doing now is proactive. This should have been done awhile back but they didn't have the manpower, and they've got more uniforms downtown. There's a higher visibility, you have undercover officers. You have decoys out there and they're arresting people," Camden said.

Emanuel says over 30 people have been arrested in the various mob attacks over the past week.

The fact that Emanuel was elected show what a comedy and disgrace this State is in
    jordanrules..................

Comment

It's just history repeating itself. Expand the empire, neglect the homeland. All this money going to the "war", when our schools etc are falling apart. What a joke.

Comment

Obama has 3 wars going and Guantanamo is STILL open....What fools it must take to still back this Unknown person!!!!!!
        jordanrules..................

Comment

Damn Obama why did he get us into this war.

Comment

Police tape seen at 75th Street and Constance Avenue. (Credit: CBS)

Police tape seen at 75th Street and Constance Avenue. (Credit: CBS)

CHICAGO (CBS) — There’s evidence that more Chicago cops on the beat perhaps is already having an impact in one neighborhood troubled by violent crime.

People in South Shore have been dodging bullets, even in the morning. But the re-deployment of police officers there has stopped some of the gunfire.

The area around 75th Street and Exchange Avenue has become so dangerous that Kimberly Harris, the mother of 2-year-old son, Martell, lets her guard down only when she leaves the community.

“I choose to go way out the neighborhood because it’s just so unsafe,” Harris said. “Even during the day.”

In the last week, there was so much gunfire that supervisors at a nursing home refused to let its residents go outside for fresh air.

“I’ve been here 15 years,” said Hilton Smith. “I’ve never seen anything like this. Constant gunfire. It’s ridiculous.”

Residents report gunfire at all hours–even in the morning. Recently, some people were waiting at a bus stop around 10:30 a.m. when they heard nine or ten shots. Families had been afraid to send their kids to school.

The community’s alderman, Sandi Jackson, could not do an interview on camera because of a family illness. In a phone interview, she had one message: help is on the way.

In the last few days, more police officers have been added to beats, Jackson said, because of the recent re-deployment of police officers, ordered by Police Supt. Garry McCarthy.

She described it as “sitting on hot spots” where gangs fight over drug turf.

Now, the daytime shootings have decreased considerably, neighbors say.

And police will soon have more help. Within weeks, security guards will soon patrol the area.

At Shannon’s Barber Shop and Salon, they call the new efforts “overdue.”

“It’s always been bad, but it’s like a ticking time bomb ready to explode,” said Chris Williams.

With so much attention focused this past week on the mob attacks downtown, the people of 75th and Exchange had been asking one question.

“I was wondering if people cared,” said Williams

Last edited by Spark; 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Geez man, Chicago used to always be on my list of places i wanted to visit but the stories you guys post just have me terrified to enter that City. I like living and it sounds like you can just walk down any random street and just get shot in the head or something. Damn man ............. Not worth it for me anymore. It must be pretty damn stressful just living there on a daily basis.

Comment

Wayne I've been everywhere and Chicago is great. Just stay north

Comment

If you were coming to California you wouldnt go to oakland

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner View Post
                    Illinois and California are both dem states right???????

Open up your eyes people

Comment

Wayne I've been everywhere and Chicago is great. Just stay north
                      That's easy to say but when you are a tourist in town and you rent a car, where the hell is north? You don't know if you are not from there and we have been "Lost" before driving in many different cities. It happens and could a mistake like that kill me? Sure sounds like it could. Just makes you a little skidish if you are there and you have to worry about walking or driving down the wrong street.

Could be my small State mentallity based on where i'm from. I would walk down any street in our biggest city at 3 am and not think twice about it. When you hear about a shooting here, 99% of the time it is a domestic violence shooting. I can't tell you when the last time i heard of a random or drive by shooting here in the State.

It's very weird to me and it's hard for me to believe that stuff really goes on. I know, hard to believe but true. When you never see or hear about it, it's shocking when you turn on the world news and listen to stories like this in Chicago and other places.

I've been to Boston 100 times. I've been everywhere and lost several times. Never once have i seen an incident or heard a gun go off ... anywhere. I'm sure there is a ton of crime there but i don't hear about stuff like this and the only place in the Boston area that ever made me nervous was Roxbury. Got lost there one night and when asking a cop for directions he said "Boy, you better get out of this town quickly. Don't even sit at red lights. Look both ways and go through them" ...... and i did.

I don't know man, it is just such a different world where ever you go and i like the more relaxed life i guess.
                      Last edited by wayne1218; 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Yea it's like coming to North Dakota, don't go to West Fargo, there was a robery there back in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                          That's easy to say but when you are a tourist in town and you rent a car, where the hell is north? You don't know if you are not from there and we have been "Lost" before driving in many different cities. It happens and could a mistake like that kill me? Sure sounds like it could. Just makes you a little skidish if you are there and you have to worry about walking or driving down the wrong street.

Could be my small State mentallity based on where i'm from. I would walk down any street in our biggest city at 3 am and not think twice about it. When you hear about a shooting here, 99% of the time it is a domestic violence shooting. I can't tell you when the last time i heard of a random or drive by shooting here in the State.

It's very weird to me and it's hard for me to believe that stuff really goes on. I know, hard to believe but true. When you never see or hear about it, it's shocking when you turn on the world news and listen to stories like this in Chicago and other places.

I've been to Boston 100 times. I've been everywhere and lost several times. Never once have i seen an incident or heard a gun go off ... anywhere. I'm sure there is a ton of crime there but i don't hear about stuff like this and the only place in the Boston area that ever made me nervous was Roxbury. Got lost there one night and when asking a cop for directions he said "Boy, you better get out of this town quickly. Don't even sit at red lights. Look both ways and go through them" ...... and i did.

I don't know man, it is just such a different world where ever you go and i like the more relaxed life i guess.
                          You need to take some risks Wayne. Life is too short. If you haven't been to Vegas, South Beach, New York etc etc, you haven't lived. There's bad neighborhoods everywhere, some worse than others, but the good places are great. Chicago is a great, and so much fun. Wrigley is awesome. Just ask people before you go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                            Illinois and California are both dem states right???????

Open up your eyes people
                            All those Dem states are the worst, why would everyone want to live in them.

Comment

You need to take some risks Wayne. Life is too short. If you haven't been to Vegas, South Beach, New York etc etc, you haven't lived. There's bad neighborhoods everywhere, some worse than others, but the good places are great. Chicago is a great, and so much fun. Wrigley is awesome. Just ask people before you go anywhere.
                              There is a fine line between risk and stupidity bw. When the people who live there are afraid to leave their house, fuck that!

Comment

Working...
                              X