Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government paying Dead People and Prisoners stimulus money

72,000 stimulus payments went to dead people

WASHINGTON – More than 89,000 stimulus payments of $250 each went to people who were either dead or in prison, a government investigator says in a new report.

The payments, which were part of last year's massive economic recovery package, were meant to increase consumer spending to help stimulate the economy.

But about $18 million went to nearly 72,000 people who were dead, according to the report by the Social Security Administration's inspector general. The report estimates that a little more than half of those payments were returned.

An additional $4.3 million went to more than 17,000 prison inmates, the report said. Most of the inmates, it turns out, were eligible to get the payments because they were newly incarcerated and had been receiving Social Security before they were locked up.

In all, the $250 payments were sent to about 52 million people who receive either Social Security or Supplemental Security Income, at a cost of about $13 billion. Other federal retirees also received the payments, but they were not part of the inspector general's review.

Social Security spokesman Mark Lassiter said, "Inaccurate payments are unacceptable. Social Security's Recovery Act payments were 99.8 percent accurate and we quickly collected the majority of the inaccurate payments. Each year we make payments to a small number of deceased recipients usually because we have not yet received reports of their deaths."

The inspector general for the Social Security Administration has been performing an audit to make sure no checks went to ineligible recipients. The latest report was dated Sept. 24 but was just recently posted to the agency's website.

People were eligible for payments if they were getting benefits during any one of the three months before the law was passed in February 2009.

Dead people were ineligible to get the payments. But, the report said, there is no provision in the law to recover payments incorrectly sent to dead people.

[Related: Los Angeles spends $70 million stimulus to create 7.76 jobs]

"Based on the failure of the SSA to properly check its records, and Congress' failure to fully think through the provisions needed to govern these payments, SSA lost $22.3 million in American tax dollars," said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. "These findings are yet another example of congressional stupidity and a lack of accountability."

The Social Security Administration said that despite tight deadlines, workers accurately processed more than 99.8 percent of the 52 million stimulus payments.

"We worked with Treasury, developed new processes, and began issuing (payments) about 30 days earlier than the legislatively mandated deadline," the agency said in a written response included in the inspector general's report. "This was a major accomplishment for our agency."

The inspector general's report said that if similar payments are authorized in the future, prison inmates should be ineligible and the government should be able to recover payments made to dead people.

The Social Security Administration agreed with the recommendations.
    NBA is a joke

NBA is a joke

Comment

I'm sure glad BO put his "sheriff" Joe Duhhhhhh Biden in charge on ensuring that not a penny of stimulus money was pissed away from fraud, abuse, and ineptitude. If you remember, Barry stated on TV that "Joe will watch every penny that's spent to protect your taxpayer dollars". Come on November 2...

Comment

Comment

More boneheaded government

I just got my Fed Tax return back this week. Yep in November. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a lady 2 weeks ago. She said they were a little behind, but payment was being mailed. My refund was for about $5500, but she said that they were paying me interest of about $150 on it. The last thing she said was that I shouldn't forget to claim the interest earned on my taxes for this year. Isn't that a crock-o-shit???
          You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Comment

YEP!! This is the gubment in charge or redistributing our wealth ...from the haves (people who work for a living) to the have nots (growing percentage of welfare tit suckers)....AMERICA...what a Country!

Comment

This reminds me of a buddy of mine, earlier this year, that lost his job making 6 figures a year. He owed Wells Fargo $11k on a credit card and they settled for $.20 on the dollar. After he sent them a check for $2200 he received a form in the mail to fill out saying he owed income taxes on the $8800 that he did not pay Wells Fargo.

Comment

It's stupidity on the Governments part. No law stating that dead people shouldn't get a check I don't find that surprising at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
                  This reminds me of a buddy of mine, earlier this year, that lost his job making 6 figures a year. He owed Wells Fargo $11k on a credit card and they settled for $.20 on the dollar. After he sent them a check for $2200 he received a form in the mail to fill out saying he owed income taxes on the $8800 that he did not pay Wells Fargo.
                  If he got something in writing stating that they would settle for .20 cents on the dollar then he doesn't owe them anything else. I can tell you though that the $8800 would be turned in on his credit history. He should have got them to put that they wouldn't put it on his credit history because if they did he should be able to get it removed.

Comment

Working...
                  X