Stop Google And Verizon From Setting Our Public Internet Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Google And Verizon From Setting Our Public Internet Policy

Something stunningly outrageous happened this week, when Google and Verizon announced they had reached a "deal" for the future of the internet. Since when is it the place of special interest corporations to determine what public policy should be?

Stop Google & Verizon action page:
    Google And Verizon Are Not The Makers Of Public Internet Policy

Actually it has been going on in back rooms all along, a prime recent example being a health care bill written (the one that passed) substantially by Liz Fowler, a former Wellpoint executive, who is now apparently in line to also administrate the bill she wrote (another outrage).

But never before has it been so brazen that two industry giants should publicly declare they have reached a private agreement, and to expect Congress and the President to just fall in line.

They must not. Congress must reject this public carving up of the public interest and instead establish clear principles in law that industry giants must not be allowed to use their power to discriminate access to the internet of the future.

Stop Google & Verizon action page:
    Google And Verizon Are Not The Makers Of Public Internet Policy

This is just another example of why corporations must be put back in their place. Corporations truly are NOT the people. Let them conduct their business, but under regulations that serve primarily the public interest. And they cannot be allowed to have inappropriate and harmful influence on the election of the very representatives duty bound to keep them so regulated.

That is why we have the long term objective of a constitutional amendment soundly repudiating the Supreme Court's enshrinement of corporate speech rights as superior to all others, by virtue of their financial power.

That is why we need your help now to distribute hundreds of thousands of "Corporations Are NOT The People" bumper stickers, and to spread the message movement any other way you can. We have already printed 50,000 of these full 4 color UV coated beauties, and have moved more than half that number already, mostly just given away free to anyone who simply requests one.

Please consider picking up a bulk pack of 25 for just a modest donation, which is what makes it possible for us to send free bumper stickers to anyone who cannot make a donation right now. Be the key activist in your own neighborhood to get these in the hands of all your friends and on to their car bumpers.

Bulk Corporations Are Not The People bumper stickers:
    Get your Bumper Sticker to STOP the Supreme Court 5

And you can always get one free for yourself with no donation required, if you have not requested yours already.

And here is the Facebook link for the Stop Google and Verizon action page further above.

[Facebook] Action Page:
    Login | Facebook

And this is the Twitter reply for this same action

@cxs #p1054

Please take action NOW, so we can win all victories that are supposed to be ours, and forward this alert as widely as possible.

If you would like to get alerts like these, you can do so at The Peace Team Opt-In Page

Or if you want to cease receiving our messages, just use the function at The People's Email Network

usalone403b:236344

What deal have they reached?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
      What deal have they reached?
      Josh Silver: Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It
      “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Is this a done deal or still in talking stages?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
          Is this a done deal or still in talking stages?

no idea. i haven't heard anything about it. i just got it from the site monte posted. surprising i haven't heard anything on any business shows about this.
          “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

this article seems to different than the huffington post one. go figure.

AT&T Official: Verizon-Google Proposal Is Positive Step - WSJ.com

Gerald Ford

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post

I was going to post that since it came from Monte's inbox straight to the BC rant section, we better hold off until all facts are brought to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post

What's that supposed to mean? I guess the fact AT&T would like regulation on broadband since they are a broadband provider has nothing to do with them liking it.

I guess google wanting to store everyone's personal info on their computers is fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post

I was going to post that since it came from Monte's inbox straight to the BC rant section, we better hold off until all facts are brought to fruition.
                  You trying to be funny?

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
                    You trying to be funny?
                    Not really.

Comment

Not really.
                      I guess I'm lying since I took it off another site huh?

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
                        I guess I'm lying since I took it off another site huh?
                        I didn't say that. Just looks like one of your lefty emails you take straight from your inbox and post here. Since I hadn't heard anything on it from anywhere else, I thought I'd reserve judgement.

Comment

Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It

For years, Internet advocates have warned of the doomsday scenario that will play out on Monday: Google and Verizon will announce a deal that the New York Times reports "could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content's creators are willing to pay for the privilege."

The deal marks the beginning of the end of the Internet as you know it. Since its beginnings, the Net was a level playing field that allowed all content to move at the same speed, whether it's ABC News or your uncle's video blog. That's all about to change, and the result couldn't be more bleak for the future of the Internet, for television, radio and independent voices.

How did this happen? We have a Federal Communications Commission that has been denied authority by the courts to police the activities of Internet service providers like Verizon and Comcast. All because of a bad decision by the Bush-era FCC. We have a pro-industry FCC Chairman who is terrified of making a decision, conducting back room dealmaking, and willing to sit on his hands rather than reassert his agency's authority. We have a president who promised to "take a back seat to no one on Net Neutrality" yet remains silent. We have a congress that is nearly completely captured by industry. Yes, more than half of the US congress will do pretty much whatever the phone and cable companies ask them to. Add the clout of Google, and you have near-complete control of Capitol Hill.

A non-neutral Internet means that companies like AT&T, Comcast, Verizon and Google can turn the Net into cable TV and pick winners and losers online. A problem just for Internet geeks? You wish. All video, radio, phone and other services will soon be delivered through an Internet connection. Ending Net Neutrality would end the revolutionary potential that any website can act as a television or radio network. It would spell the end of our opportunity to wrest access and distribution of media content away from the handful of massive media corporations that currently control the television and radio dial.

So the Google-Verizon deal can be summed up as this: "FCC, you have no authority over us and you're not going to do anything about it. Congress, we own you, and we'll get whatever legislation we want. And American people, you can't stop us.

This Google-Verizon deal, this industry-captured FCC, and the way this is playing out is akin to the largest banks and the largest hedge funds writing the regulatory policy on derivative trading without any oversight or input from the public, and having it rubber stamped by the SEC. It's like BP and Halliburton ironing out the rules for offshore oil drilling with no public input, and having MMS sign off.

Fortunately, while they are outnumbered, there are several powerful Net Neutrality champions on Capitol Hill, like Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Henry Waxman, Jay Rockefeller, Ed Markey, Jay Inslee and many others. But they will not be able to turn this tide unless they have massive, visible support from every American who uses the Internet --- whether it's for news, email, shopping, Facebook, Twitter --- whatever. So stop what you're doing and tell them you're not letting the Internet go the way of Big Oil and Big Banks. The future of the Internet, and your access to information depends on it.

Author's note: Notice how a company can change their tune in the name of profitmaking. From Google in 2006: "Today the Internet is an information highway where anybody - no matter how large or small, how traditional or unconventional - has equal access. But the phone and cable monopolies, who control almost all Internet access, want the power to choose who gets access to high-speed lanes and whose content gets seen first and fastest. They want to build a two-tiered system and block the on-ramps for those who can't pay."

Josh Silver: Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It

Comment

Huffington Post

Comment

Huffington Post
                              Did you even read it?

Comment

Working...
                              X