Obama: Tax Big Banks to Recover ‘Every Dime’ from Bailouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama: Tax Big Banks to Recover ‘Every Dime’ from Bailouts

A day after House and Senate negotiators agreed on a final Wall Street reform bill, President Obama today issued another challenge to lawmakers: Impose a $90 billion, ten year tax on banks.
    In his weekly address, the president said the tax would go toward recovery taxpayer money from the bailouts that began in late 2008 at the peak of the financial crisis.
    The “Financial Crisis Responsibility Fee” was first proposed by Obama in January and would be imposed on banks with at least $50 billion in assets.
    But critics of such a “fee” argue that most of the major banks have repaid their part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) funds.
    Republicans have said a bigger priority is the overhaul of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the mortgage financing companies in U.S. conservatorship. Fannie and Freddie have siphoned $145 billion in bailouts – and that amount will likely exceed $300 billion by next year.
    On Friday, a House-Senate conference committee finalized the largest overhaul of financial system oversight since the Great Depression.
    “Beyond these reforms, we also need to address another piece of unfinished business,” the president said. “We need to impose a fee on the banks that were the biggest beneficiaries of taxpayer assistance at the height of our financial crisis – so we can recover every dime of taxpayer money.”
    The president is in Canada to attend gatherings with leaders of the world’s largest economies.
    Obama also urged Congress to quickly pass this coming week the negotiated final regulatory reform bill. It creates a new consumer protection agency over loan products; an oversight council to monitor systemic risk; curbs on derivatives and proprietary trading by banks, and first-time regulation over debit card fees that banks charge merchants through payment networks.
    “Getting this far on Wall Street reform hasn’t been easy,” Obama said. “There are those who’ve fought tooth and nail to preserve the status quo… But because we refused to back down, and kept fighting, we now stand on the verge of victory,” the president said.
    Also Read:

Obama: Tax Banks to Recover ?Every Dime? from Bailouts | ecreditdaily.com

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
      Yea, fuck the capitalists out there who found a way to make money

Comment

Give me a S
        Give me a O
        Give me a C
        Give me a I
        Give me a A
        Give me a L
        Give me a I
        Give me a S
        Give me a T

WHAT DOES IT SPELL------------- OBAMA

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
          Yea, fuck the capitalists out there who found a way to make money
          nothing wrong with capitalism, but the banks got us in this mess and we bailed them out. they should pay the tax payers back every dime. We saved their ass. we shouldn't have bailed them out in the first place if one is a real free market capitalist.
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
            nothing wrong with capitalism, but the banks got us in this mess and we bailed them out. they should pay the tax payers back every dime. We saved their ass. we shouldn't have bailed them out in the first place if one is a real free market capitalist.
            But isn't this above and beyond what was paid back? Will this be imposed on Fannie and Freddie, or auto industry or AIG or anyone else who took taxpayer money? I agree 100% they ALL should have to pay back every dime.

Comment

I'm sure all the welfare recipients will be filling up my bank account sometime soon then as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
                But isn't this above and beyond what was paid back? Will this be imposed on Fannie and Freddie, or auto industry or AIG or anyone else who took taxpayer money? I agree 100% they ALL should have to pay back every dime.
                good question. first, I don't think it's too much, but I would love to get every dime back from all of them. I really would love to get $ back from AIG because they were rewarded for essentially making horrible bets. They were in essence making 10 team pars and when they lost they wanted us to pay them back. Speaking of bad bets, it looks like the Marlins are going to lose again. Sorry for the play KB.
                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

No worries on the play bro

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                    No worries on the play bro
                    they tied it in the 7th and then gave up a two run dong. I read a stat that when the marlins are down in the 7th they have only come back once, and the one time was the last series when the played tampa. I think they're 1-35 or something when they're trailing after 7. On the other hand, the Braves are almost unbeatable when the score at least 5 runs in a game.

Comment

Exactly, but I guess they owe certain members of this site somehow instead of the rest of us taxpayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post

way above and beyond!

fannie and freddie are not only going to get a free pass, but are continuing to do the same things they were doing in the past. banks aren't loaning to high risk people, and they are being the ones singled out for a penalty.

funny how he never mentions auto co's. unions backing the dem party wouldn't have anything to do with that.

most banks have payed back the money WITH INTEREST. now they should pay more?
                        “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                          Give me a S
                          Give me a O
                          Give me a C
                          Give me a I
                          Give me a A
                          Give me a L
                          Give me a I
                          Give me a S
                          Give me a T

WHAT DOES IT SPELL------------- OBAMA

the longer he is in office, the more it looks like it.
                          “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X