Another Corrupt ILL DEM drops out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Corrupt ILL DEM drops out

Dem. lieutenant governor candidate exits Ill.

Ex-girlfriend says Ill. lt. gov. candidate held knife to her throat Play Video WRAL Raleigh – Ex-girlfriend says Ill. lt. gov. candidate held knife to her throat

* Ill. lt. gov. candidate quits race amid scandal Slideshow:Ill. lt. gov. candidate quits race amid scandal

Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor Scott Lee Cohen speaks during an AP – Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor Scott Lee Cohen speaks during an interview WTTW television …
    By KAREN HAWKINS, Associated Press Writer Karen Hawkins, Associated Press Writer – Sun Feb 7, 10:39 pm ET

CHICAGO – The Democratic nominee for Illinois' lieutenant governor dropped out of the race Sunday night, less than a week after winning the nomination, amid a political uproar about his past.

Announcing his decision at a Chicago bar packed with patrons watching the Super Bowl, a tearful Scott Lee Cohen said the Democrats were not certain they could win with him on the ticket. He said he was stepping down because he did not want to jeopardize the Democratic Party ticket.

"This is the hardest thing that I ever had to do in my life," he said before choking up with sobs.

Since Cohen won the Democratic nomination on Tuesday, it has become widely known that he was accused of abusing his ex-wife and holding a knife to the throat of an ex-girlfriend — a woman who was herself charged with prostitution. He also admits using steroids in the past.

"For the good of the people of the state of Illinois and the Democratic Party, I will resign," Cohen said in a rambling remarks made as the Super Bowl halftime entertainment blared in the background.

The revelations about Cohen's past came as Illinois was starting to move on from the scandals of ousted Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn, who inherited the job after Blagojevich's ouster following federal corruption charges, would have been paired with Cohen on the November ticket. Quinn, U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and Sen. Dick Durbin all had urged Cohen to leave the race.

Quinn said Cohen had "made the right decision for the Democratic Party and the people of Illinois.

"Now we can continue to focus our efforts on putting our economy back on track and working to bring good jobs to Illinois," the governor said in a written statement.

Surrounded by his sons, his fiancee and her son, Cohen apologized to his family, his supporters and anyone he may have let down.

"All I ever wanted to do was to run for office and to help the people, not to cause chaos, that was never my intention," Cohen said.

Until his nomination, Cohen was a political unknown. Democratic leaders had not considered him a threat to win and didn't highlight his past during the campaign.

Cohen's resignation from the ticket means state party leaders can replace him on the ballot.

"Now we can move on to find a strong replacement," said Steve Brown, spokesman for the Illinois Democratic chairman, House Speaker Michael Madigan.

Cohen, a pawnbroker and owner of a cleaning products distribution company, ran against several veteran politicians, spending $2 million — mostly his own money — on his campaign, more than twice as much as all his opponents combined. He gained strong name recognition with a flurry of advertising featuring people who said they got jobs at employment fairs he held.

The location and timing for Sunday's announcement — a heated beer garden at a Chicago bar during the Super Bowl — perplexed some patrons who were trying to watch the New Orleans Saints take on the Indianapolis Colts.

"It's a way to grab some headlines I guess," said 53-year-old Rick Kokonas wearing a New Orleans T-shirt.

Cohen was arrested in 2005 on domestic battery charges for allegedly pushing his then-girlfriend, Amanda Eneman, against a wall and holding a knife to her throat. The charges were dropped when she failed to show up for a court date. He has denied the allegations and called that relationship tumultuous.

Eneman had issued a statement Saturday through her attorney saying that, based on her observations and Cohen's behavior during their relationship, she "does not believe that he is fit to hold any public office including that of lieutenant governor."

Cohen said Eneman's statement did not affect his decision.

___
    jordanrules..................

There's a few douche bags in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner View Post
      There's a few douche bags in Chicago.
      MY MEAT IN THE HOT DESERT.......

Comment

jordan ... You see him and his son on the news ... can you tell me why he had his kid there with him crying his eyes out??? That was unreal ... what an asshole ...

And guys I am not saying this because he is a Dem .. I am saying it because he is an asshole

Comment

LOL, nothing in Chicago should surprise anyone
          NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
            jordan ... You see him and his son on the news ... can you tell me why he had his kid there with him crying his eyes out??? That was unreal ... what an asshole ...

And guys I am not saying this because he is a Dem .. I am saying it because he is an asshole
            I would cry too if I was a Cubs fan.
            I agree who cares about his politics, this guy's an ahole.

Comment

Speaking of corrupt Dems,

John Murtha has dropped out to, this time to meet his maker.

Rep. John Murtha, Iraq war critic, dies at 77
              NBA is a joke

Comment

Comment

being a cubb fan is hard...soooo hard
                  jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
                    Speaking of corrupt Dems,

John Murtha has dropped out to, this time to meet his maker.

Rep. John Murtha, Iraq war critic, dies at 77
                    You are so classless. This was a great man and a war hero and you can't keep from kicking him while he's DEAD.

"Murtha left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marine Corps and was awarded the American Spirit Honor Medal for displaying outstanding leadership qualities during training. Murtha became a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. Murtha was then assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Murtha remained in the Marine Forces Reserve, and ran a small business, Johnstown Minute Car Wash (which still operates in the West End section of Johnstown.) He also attended the University of Pittsburgh on the G.I. Bill, and received a degree in economics. Murtha later took graduate courses from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Murtha married his wife Joyce on June 10, 1955. They have three children: daughter Donna and twin sons Patrick and John M., and live in Johnstown.

Murtha left the Marines in 1955. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in the Vietnam War, serving from 1966 to 1967, serving as a battalion staff officer (S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Valor device, two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a Colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

Murtha was admitted to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland after suffering from abdominal pains in December 2009.[11] Murtha had surgery to remove his gallbladder in late January 2010; a week later, he was admitted to the intensive care unit due to complications from the surgery.[12] He died on February 8, 2010.[13]"

Check out my new thread... I'm gonna kick a right wing hero while he's burning in hell. Oral Roberts.
                    Last edited by Celtics86; 02-10-2010, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtics86 View Post
                      You are so classless. This was a great man and a war hero and you can't keep from kicking him while he's DEAD.

"Murtha left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marine Corps and was awarded the American Spirit Honor Medal for displaying outstanding leadership qualities during training. Murtha became a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. Murtha was then assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Murtha remained in the Marine Forces Reserve, and ran a small business, Johnstown Minute Car Wash (which still operates in the West End section of Johnstown.) He also attended the University of Pittsburgh on the G.I. Bill, and received a degree in economics. Murtha later took graduate courses from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Murtha married his wife Joyce on June 10, 1955. They have three children: daughter Donna and twin sons Patrick and John M., and live in Johnstown.

Murtha left the Marines in 1955. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in the Vietnam War, serving from 1966 to 1967, serving as a battalion staff officer (S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Valor device, two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a Colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

Murtha was admitted to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland after suffering from abdominal pains in December 2009.[11] Murtha had surgery to remove his gallbladder in late January 2010; a week later, he was admitted to the intensive care unit due to complications from the surgery.[12] He died on February 8, 2010.[13]"

Check out my new thread... I'm gonna kick a right wing hero while he's burning in hell. Oral Roberts.

so you are saying every war vet gets a free pass the rest of their life?

this guy has been a crook for years, bilking the american tax payers out of millions of dollars for his benefit. get a clue!
                      “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post

this guy has been a crook for years, bilking the american tax payers out of millions of dollars for his benefit. get a clue!

Not to mention he called our soldiers murderers in cold blood.

A John Kerry move. I suppose the terrorists dont hear these lies for political points and use them for recruitment.
                        NBA is a joke

Comment

A John Kerry move. I suppose the terrorists dont hear these lies for political points and use them for recruitment.
                          Can anyone confirm this from the New York Daily News ??

I tried looking on their site and did not find this article (maybe erased after complaints??), but if it is true, they are scumbags

He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

What do you call it when innocent civilian families, just just trying to get by and happen to be the same skin tone as the Saudis who attacked us on 9-11, are slain in broad daylight for no reason. I thought your boy Husker said 'just because you might be an American soldier it shouldn't mean you get a free pass', and I agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post

For his benefit.......You need to get the clue... You sheeple are trained like dogs. If Beck told you to eat a dog terd, you would..Hateful SOBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X