Jefferson Gets 13-Year Sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefferson Gets 13-Year Sentence

The former Louisiana congressman who famously hid $90,000 cash in his freezer following an FBI bribery sting was sentenced to 13 years in prison Friday, the longest term ever imposed on a congressman convicted of bribery.

Prosecutors wanted the 62-year-old William Jefferson, a Democrat who represented parts of New Orleans, to serve at least 27 years in prison. The defense wanted less than 10 years and hoped Jefferson could remain free on bond while he appeals his conviction.

Jefferson said nothing in court after he was sentenced. He was convicted in August of 11 counts, including bribery and racketeering. Prosecutors at his two-month trial said he took roughly $500,000 in bribes and sought millions more. He was acquitted of five other charges, including the one most closely associated with the money in his freezer.

The investigation started in March 2005. In August of that year, FBI agents searched Jefferson's Washington home and found the cash. Prosecutors said he had planned to use the money to pay a bribe to the then-vice president of Nigeria to secure a multimillion-dollar telecommunications deal there, an accusation Jefferson denied.

Ex-Rep. Jefferson Sentenced to 13 Years for Bribery - FOXNews.com

murtha and rangel should be right there with him. i guess you could call that "party unity".

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post
      murtha and rangel should be right there with him. i guess you could call that "party unity".

How about cheney, scooter libby, marc foley or your favorite republican SENATOR LARRY(TOE TAPPER) CRAIG
      TALK ABOUT REPUBLICAN FAMILY VALUES

Craig: I did nothing 'inappropriate' in airport bathroom - CNN.com
      Last edited by musclemann; 11-13-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

This was racial profiling, he should appeal.

Bush and Cheney set him up.

signed

Libs
        NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
          This was racial profiling, he should appeal.

Bush and Cheney set him up.

signed

Libs

hey flare you ever been in a airport bathroom?

signed senator larry craig.

Comment

the whole city of Chicago's political scheme should be in jail
            jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by jordanrules23 View Post
              the whole city of Chicago's political scheme should be in jail

new jersey's is close to being there.
              “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

there is a laundry list of philandering politicians on both sides. i really don't care about this, it's just fun to make jokes about.

the real problem i have is the corruption, and the dem's have really gone to the head of the class here.

Gerald Ford

Comment

Working...
                X