John McCain's top advisor letting the cat out of the bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McCain's top advisor letting the cat out of the bag

John McCain distanced himself Monday from a top adviser who said another terrorist attack on U.S. soil this election year would benefit the Republican presidential candidate. Barack Obama's campaign called the comment a "complete disgrace."

Charlie Black, an adviser already in the spotlight for his past lobbying work, is quoted in the upcoming July 7 edition of Fortune magazine as saying such an attack "certainly would be a big advantage to him." Black said Monday he regretted the comment.

Black is also quoted as saying the "unfortunate event" of the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto in December 2007 "helped us."

Questioned about Black's comments during a news conference, McCain said, "I cannot imagine why he would say it; it's not true. I've worked tirelessly since 9/11 to prevent another attack on the United States of America. My record is very clear."

Citing his work to establish a commission to investigate the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the United States, as well as his membership on the Senate Armed Services Committee, McCain added: "I cannot imagine it, and so, if he said that — and I don't know the context — I strenuously disagree."

In a statement, Obama spokesman Bill Burton said, "The fact that John McCain's top adviser says that a terrorist attack on American soil would be a 'big advantage' for their political campaign is a complete disgrace, and is exactly the kind of politics that needs to change. Barack Obama will turn the page on these failed policies and this cynical and divisive brand of politics so that we can unite this nation around a common purpose to finish the fight against al-Qaida."

Black, interviewed by reporters as he stood outside McCain's fundraiser, said: "I deeply regret the comments. They were inappropriate. I recognize that John McCain has devoted his entire adult life to protecting his country and placing its security before every other consideration."

In the 2004 presidential race, President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other Republicans argued that Democratic nominee John Kerry was soft on terrorism, an argument that resonated with voters at the polls. The GOP also questioned the Democrats' record on national security in 2002, and it paid dividend at the polls in the congressional elections.

The GOP line — that Democrats had a pre-Sept. 11 mind-set — failed in the 2006 midterm elections as the Democrats wrested control of Congress from the Republicans.

McCain has repeatedly tried to portray Obama as naive on national security and naive on foreign policy.

McCain and his top advisor can't even get along......

Comment

Wow, errr, I suppose this calls for a congressional hearing. lol

Really weak Dems.
      NBA is a joke

Comment

do you see what the congress dems look like? im mean seriously is there any doubt//.?
        jordanrules..................

Comment

Its a true statement....if there were to be an attack on our soil that favors Republicans because they are the ones who are always trying to scare the people.

Its not politically correct to say this I assume but it is true.

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
            Its a true statement....if there were to be an attack on our soil that favors Republicans because they are the ones who are always trying to scare the people.

Its not politically correct to say this I assume but it is true.

PEACE
            Agree 100%....Well said Pimp

KAZ
            [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Originally posted by BarackObama
              Its a true statement....if there were to be an attack on our soil we as Democrats have to provide the terrorists with all of our resources, then hightail it to Canada.

Its not politically correct to say this but my ass will never fight for this country, this is true.
              He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

All I have to say is tell me something I don't already know when it comes to right-wing politics. FEAR = POWER, and if that doesn't work, they beat everyone down with what it really comes down to with the repubs, MONEY. The never ending they are going to raise your taxes crap never stops. Is that all that really matters? Along with, he's the most liberal candidate ever. There are the Repubs talking points.

So it should come as know surprise that some would want an attack. If not here somewhere where they could point their finger and say "You see, vote for me".

Black said Monday he regretted the comment.

Why regret something that you feel is true? Because you said it out loud?

Black is also quoted as saying the "unfortunate event" of the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto in December 2007 "helped us."

Was it unfortunate? I mean it did help you as you said Mr. Black. Unfortunate my ass.

Comment

Working...
                X