McCain faces risky topics in California trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain faces risky topics in California trip

A growing chorus of Republicans says that the rough waters currently being navigated by Sen. Barack Obama may now make him an easier candidate to sink than Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is not struggling with issues like race and religion.

But those same Republicans may want to consider the dangerous straits ahead for their own presumptive nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain, whose gaffe last week in Iraq - where he appeared to confuse Sunni and Shiite factions - raised eyebrows.

In the wake of controversies over Obama's support from the divisive Rev. Jeremiah Wright, McCain may be pressed again to explain his past praise for the Rev. John Hagee, a wealthy and controversial televangelist with a penchant for outlandish statements. Hagee, who has suggested that Hurricane Katrina was retribution from God for sins including homosexuality, told the New York Times Sunday magazine that McCain specifically sought his endorsement.

McCain comes to California today to begin a campaign and fundraising swing in what has been promised to be a 50-state presidential campaign that will include blue California, which voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in both 2000 and 2004.

The senator from Arizona, just back from Iraq, will conduct a town hall meeting near San Diego with families, many of them military, on the subject of the war - a theme and a place that could be problematic as he aims to appeal to independent voters in the nation's most populous state. He'll make the appearance just miles from where President Bush strode onto an aircraft carrier in a flight suit in May 2003 and delivered a now-infamous address announcing that "major combat operations" in Iraq were over - while a "Mission Accomplished" banner waved behind him.

Fearing wrath of voters
    But Democrats watching the race - and watching McCain's visit this week - say Republicans are simply hoping that they'll be able to escape the wrath of voters angered by the current president and the litany of problems that have sprung up on his watch. Those include the Iraq war, the economic downturn, high gas prices, a burst housing bubble and the resulting home mortgage crisis, problems affecting communities across the country.

"Given all the problems that Republicans have in this election year, they're obviously searching for someone who will be easy," said Democratic strategist Garry South. "I'm not sure either (Democrat) will be a pushover. For every problem that Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton has, the Republicans have it 10 times over."

Republicans, particularly, should be wary of attempting to seize on the Wright issue to wound Obama, South warned.

"They can talk all they want about Jeremiah Wright," he said, "but you want to talk about ministers and lunatics supporting John McCain, like John Hagee?" South noted that the televangelist has especially infuriated Catholics by referring to their church as a "whore" and a cult.

From the Revs. Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson to Hagee, "the entire Christian right has made a profession out of saying ridiculous things ... including blaming gays, abortion and America for 9/11," South said.

Indeed, while Obama has had to distance himself from controversial religious figures like Louis Farrakhan, the anti-Semitic leader of the Nation of Islam who supports him, McCain has appeared on stage with Hagee and publicly pronounced himself pleased to get the televangelist's endorsement, saying he is "very proud of Pastor Hagee's spiritual leadership to thousands of people and very proud of his commitment to the independence and freedom of the state of Israel."

But the senator from Arizona has also made clear he doesn't support Hagee's hateful teachings, adding, "I don't have to agree with everyone who endorses my candidacy."

McCain may be pressed again to explain his past praise for the Rev. John Hagee, a wealthy and controversial televangelist with a penchant for outlandish statements. Hagee, who has suggested that Hurricane Katrina was retribution from God for sins including homosexuality, told the New York Times Sunday magazine that McCain specifically sought his endorsement.

WOW I guess McCain hates gays now

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hagee

LMFAO

Hagee condemns literature such as J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter, calling it contemporary witchcraft.

Hagee has been accused of antisemitism, because he has written that the persecution of Jews throughout history, and even the Holocaust, was caused by their own "disobedience"

This guy is a nut bag

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        McCain may be pressed again to explain his past praise for the Rev. John Hagee, a wealthy and controversial televangelist with a penchant for outlandish statements. Hagee, who has suggested that Hurricane Katrina was retribution from God for sins including homosexuality, told the New York Times Sunday magazine that McCain specifically sought his endorsement.

WOW I guess McCain hates gays now
        And just how many years did mccain sit in the pew of his church?
        Can Barack tell me what a "typical" white person is please?

Comment

Originally posted by dakingisdead
          And just how many years did mccain sit in the pew of his church?
          Who cares

Comment

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...dvisers23.html

Comment

Rev. Rod Parsley another nut job for McCain

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Parsley

Comment

I thought you want religion out of politics? These stories wont have legs, McCain loves his country, people hear Obama's pastor/advisor pronounce "God Damn America" and their antenna's are going up.

Bottom line is nobody really knows that much about what Obama believes in for the future of the country. He runs on catch words like "Hope", no specifics, whats his plan???
                  NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1
                    I thought you want religion out of politics? These stories wont have legs, McCain loves his country, people hear Obama's pastor/advisor pronounce "God Damn America" and their antenna's are going up.

Bottom line is nobody really knows that much about what Obama believes in for the future of the country. He runs on catch words like "Hope", no specifics, whats his plan???
                    mccain was in the pews how long? how many of these people married mccain or baptized his children? his plan is to play on the discouraged and capitalize on their 30 second attention span. throw out words like hope, change, bush sucks, etc. then raise taxes, and learn on the job since he has no experience working across the aisle, and has what, 2 pieces of significant legislation to his name?

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1

WTF is McCains plan? All 3 running have laid out there plans

And I said Religion should be left out, but when you Republicans want to persecute someone for what his preacher said then I want to show you what the preachers that are backing McCain have said and did......

Comprehend?

Comment

mccain was in the pews how long? how many of these people married mccain or baptized his children? his plan is to play on the discouraged and capitalize on their 30 second attention span. throw out words like hope, change, bush sucks, etc. then raise taxes, and learn on the job since he has no experience working across the aisle, and has what, 2 pieces of significant legislation to his name?
                        Doesn't matter if he was in the pews and you can't refut that without any concrete evidence either!

Do you even know what any of these candidates are running on? McCain wants to keep Bushs permanent tax cuts which help the rich. Obama raising taxes on the rich.

Governor Bush had no experience! And you say Obama doesn't either. No way he can be as bad or worse than Bush.

Comment

obama's judgment is being persecuted and tested...

Comment

obama's judgment is being persecuted and tested...
                            You have no concrete proof that Obamas preacher has said shit like that before. Yet you want to persecute his judgement based on something that may not have existed in the past. The man denounced wrights statements and has distanced himself from him. Just as McCain is doing with the 2 preachers that have backed him.

Comment

Governor Bush had no experience!

Governor (who did a great job in Texas) of a large state - seems to me that is experience compared to Obama. Clinton was a governor, Obama is inexperienced and people know it. Now that he is under some scutiny it is starting to affect his #'s
                              NBA is a joke

Comment

Working...
                              X