Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Double Standard Continues

Sharpton: Criticism of Rev. Wright 'grossly unfair'
    HASN'T OPENED OFFICE HERE | Pastor's daughter leads Chicago chapter of activist's group

March 20, 2008Recommend (1)

BY FRANK MAIN, KARA SPAK AND ANDREW HERRMANN Staff Reporters
    Eight months after the brash Rev. Al Sharpton announced he was bringing his civil rights organization to Chicago, he has yet to open an office here and has been quiet on the recent shakeup of the Chicago Police Department.

But don't think he isn't paying attention, he insisted Wednesday.

On July 30, 2007, Sharpton announced he would open a Chicago chapter of his National Action Network, one of 36 chapters across the country. At an August rally at the South Side's Regal Theater, he vowed to have an office here by September.

That office hasn't materialized, said a spokeswoman at the New York headquarters of the National Action Network.

Calls to a Chicago cell phone number listed on the group's Web site were not returned Wednesday.

Sharpton said he's continuing to maintain his National Action Network chapter in Chicago under chapter president Jeri L. Wright, daughter of the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., the controversial minister and pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ.

In a major speech Tuesday, presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, a longtime member of the church, reacted to questions about his relationship with Jeremiah Wright, denouncing some of the language in the pastor's fiery sermons.

Sharpton said he supports Wright and his daughter, who "is president of the chapter and will remain president of the chapter."

Sharpton said the recent firestorm over Jeremiah Wright's comments in the pulpit is "grossly unfair."

"He has a right to express his views," he said. "This is ridiculous. I think Jeremiah Wright has been totally distorted."

Despite his lack of Chicago real estate, Sharpton, who unsuccessfully ran for president in 2004, is on WVON-AM (1690) Monday through Friday from noon to 3 p.m. The Rev. Marshall Hatch, pastor of New Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church, is a frequent guest on his show, Sharpton said.

"We talk about Chicago issues all the time," Sharpton said.

Hatch said he believed Sharpton thought it would be more productive to work with established groups in Chicago than as a lone agent for change.

"I'd say he has been one of many voices," Hatch said. "He's made some impact in that he lent his voice at a critical time on the whole question of reforming police."

Sharpton said he visits Chicago monthly and plans a trip in mid-April to hear reactions to Jody Weis, the new police superintendent. Sharpton said he liked how Weis shook up the department last week by changing 21 of the 25 district commanders.

In December, though, Sharpton was initially critical of Daley's appointment of Weis. He urged alderman to reject Daley's choice of the FBI supervisor, saying the mayor was arrogant not to seek input from the black community first.

Sharpton also demanded that the Justice Department consider placing the Chicago Police Department in receivership.

Monique Bond, spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department, said that Weis hadn't met with Sharpton but "he's amenable to meeting with him," she said.

"He met with Rev. [Jesse] Jackson today," she said. "I'm sure he's open to it."

GROSSLY UNFAIR????????
    WHAT A RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jordanrules..................

I wouldn't mind one bit if he was wiped off the face of the Earth

Comment

Jordan what are your plays for today?

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        Jordan what are your plays for today?
        NOTRE DAME AND PURDUE.....WHAT ARE YOURS????????????//
        ITS AMAZING YOU ONLY BUST MY BALLS B/C IM A REPUB......WHERE IN ANY OF YOUR THREADS DO YOU ASK MM OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THEIR PLAYS????????????? IM WAITING FOR AN ANSWER???????????

Comment

Originally posted by jordanrules23
          NOTRE DAME AND PURDUE.....WHAT ARE YOURS????????????//
          ITS AMAZING YOU ONLY BUST MY BALLS B/C IM A REPUB......WHERE IN ANY OF YOUR THREADS DO YOU ASK MM OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THEIR PLAYS????????????? IM WAITING FOR AN ANSWER???????????
          This is your last warning! You've been banned before by Wayne and begged to come back. You do nothing, but try and cause problems on this site with your BS comments.

Last Warning!

Comment

?????????????????????????/

Comment

Originally posted by jordanrules23
              ?????????????????????????/
              You can read

Comment

You can read
                hater

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                  I wouldn't mind one bit if he was wiped off the face of the Earth
                  Which one,Rev Wright,Al or Jesse.All the above sounds good to me.

Comment

It is unfortunate that these "Reverends" are not intent on healing, just keeping racism alive. Libs with white guilt keep on believing!
                    NBA is a joke

Comment

Obama getting hammered in the polls and rightfully so. Will be interesting to see how it all ends up.
                      Can Barack tell me what a "typical" white person is please?

Comment

Many Dems will still drink the koolaid, He will get smoked losing many of the independants.
                        NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1
                          It is unfortunate that these "Reverends" are not intent on healing, just keeping racism alive. Libs with white guilt keep on believing!
                          Guilt? For what?

Comment

Guilt? For what?

BC,

White guilt are the feelings some people have of responsibility for slavery even though several generations have past and they may have no connection to it. For instance, no one in my family tree owned slaves as far as I know, all of my ancestors came over from Europe in the early 1900's.

The history of the world includes slaves of many races, not just blacks. I believe African tribes captured and traded slaves themselves. Greeks and Isrealites were slaves to the Romans.

It would be nice if we could get past it and move on. My main point is that these black racist reverends love pouring gas on the fire. The inflamatory rhetoric is not constructive.
                            NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1
                              BC,

White guilt are the feelings some people have of responsibility for slavery even though several generations have past and they may have no connection to it. For instance, no one in my family tree owned slaves as far as I know, all of my ancestors came over from Europe in the early 1900's.

The history of the world includes slaves of many races, not just blacks. I believe African tribes captured and traded slaves themselves. Greeks and Isrealites were slaves to the Romans.

It would be nice if we could get past it and move on. My main point is that these black racist reverends love pouring gas on the fire. The inflamatory rhetoric is not constructive.
                              Well, i'm white and don't feel any guilt. I do think it was wrong though. And affirmative action was established for the very reason of slavery.

Comment

Working...
                              X