• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Puts McCain in Tight Spot

By MARC SANTORA,The New York Times
    Posted: 2007-11-14 10:50:22
    Filed Under: Elections News, Politics News
    (Nov. 14) -- When presidential candidates appear at public forums, passions about the field are often on vivid display. Monday, Senator John McCain received a question from a woman in Hilton Head Island, S.C., that was blunt and harsh.

“How do we beat the bitch?” the woman asked.

Mr. McCain was obviously uncomfortable, trying to deflect the vitriol with humor and offering to give a translation. But he did not condemn the questioner, instead calling it an “excellent question.”

He then addressed the question without any apparent doubt as to whom it referred.

“There was a poll yesterday,” he said, “that shows me three points ahead of Senator Clinton in a head-to-head matchup. I respect Mrs. Clinton.”

The clip began showing on Web sites like Salon.com, the liberal site TPM.com and others, with bloggers asking why Mr. McCain had not taken the questioner to task.

A spokesman for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton declined to comment on Mr. McCain’s response. But some of her advisers said they were surprised that he had not defused the moment more artfully, given the possibility that it might stir sympathy or outrage on Mrs. Clinton’s behalf in some quarters.

Some of her allies have accused her male Democratic opponents of ganging up on her in their last televised debate.

Mr. McCain has studiously avoided personally attacking Mrs. Clinton, whom he has said he likes. His campaign said yesterday, “Mr. McCain has on many occasions expressed his respect for Senator Clinton, just as he did when confronted with the question in South Carolina.”

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...14091909990002

Comment

Did you see him the other day with his Mother? She went off on Mormon religion and you could tell John just wanted to die. He had to do on the spot damage controll. I don't think he'll be doing any more interviews with his Mother anytime soon. it was pretty funny.

Comment

McCain is a dick

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
          McCain is a dick
          Why do you say that Tony, immigration? I wish he would have beat out Bush in 2000.

I tell you what though, it's nice to see all these so called front runners falling back to the pack. I can't wait to see Hillary bash part 2 tonight when the Dems debate tonight on CNN. I'm also sure there will be a question about UFO's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BearDown
            Why do you say that Tony, immigration? I wish he would have beat out Bush in 2000.

I tell you what though, it's nice to see all these so called front runners falling back to the pack. I can't wait to see Hillary bash part 2 tonight when the Dems debate tonight on CNN. I'm also sure there will be a question about UFO's as well.
            McCain stood no chance against the Poll stealer Bush and doesn't again this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by BearDown

jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                McCain stood no chance against the Poll stealer Bush and doesn't again this time around.
                so u actually wanted Kerry?????????????? OMG
                jordanrules..................

Comment

Working...
                X