Rep. William Jefferson Indicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. William Jefferson Indicted

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nearly two years after federal agents reported finding $90,000 in a freezer in his Washington home, U.S. Rep. William Jefferson has been charged with a global campaign to solicit bribes, obstruct justice and engage in racketeering, Justice Department officials said Monday.

The veteran Louisiana Democrat faces 16 criminal counts, said Alice Fisher, assistant U.S. attorney general in the criminal division.

"This case is about greed, power and arrogance," said Joe Persichini, director of the FBI's Washington field office, which led the investigation.

In addition to the racketeering and solicitation charges, Jefferson has been charged with money laundering, wire fraud, conspiracy and violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

"Congressman Jefferson is innocent. He plans to fight this indictment and clear his name," said Jefferson's attorney, Robert Trout. He said the "creative" indictment does not say Jefferson promised anyone legislative favors.

Jefferson is the first U.S. official ever charged under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, which prohibits corporate bribery.

The charges are based on 11 schemes in which Jefferson allegedly solicited bribes for himself and his family from government and business officials in the United States, Nigeria, Botswana, Equatorial Guinea and Sao Tome e Principe, U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said at an afternoon news conference.

"Mr. Jefferson corruptly traded on his good office and on the Congress where he served ... to enrich himself and his family through a pervasive pattern of fraud, bribery, and corruption that spanned many years and two continents," Rosenberg said.

Jefferson sought millions of dollars in cash and company stock and received "somewhat less than $400,000," Rosenberg said.

Jefferson has denied wrongdoing, and won a ninth congressional term in a December runoff despite the allegations. But the probe already has led to guilty pleas by a Kentucky businessman and a former aide to the congressman.

Jefferson's homes in Washington and New Orleans were raided in August 2005. The following May, investigators raided his Capitol Hill office, sparking a furor among congressional leaders who argued the search violated the Constitution's separation of powers.

Rosenberg said some documents seized in that search support the case. Fisher called the search "necessary, appropriate and constitutional."

In court papers defending the 2006 search, investigators disclosed that they had found $90,000 in cash in the freezer of Jefferson's Washington home -- part of a $100,000 payment delivered by an informant in the bribery probe, according to federal agents.

Jefferson will be arraigned and have the opportunity to enter a plea in federal court in Washington at 9 a.m. Friday, Rosenberg said. Conviction on all charges could bring a total of 235 years in prison.

"There will be no plea bargain," Trout said.

Fisher and Rosenberg denied that Monday's announcement was in any way affected by recent controversy surrounding the Justice Department and the firings of federal prosecutors.

"Frankly, we don't give a damn about politics," Rosenberg said. "... We believe he broke the law. That's why we brought the charges. Period."

The allegations against Jefferson emerged in the heat of the 2006 congressional election season, when Democrats were castigating House Republicans for tolerating what they called a "culture of corruption." After the raid on Jefferson's office, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi pushed Jefferson out of his seat on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee.

But in February, Pelosi -- now speaker of the House -- agreed to place Jefferson on the Homeland Security Committee. The move drew criticism from Republicans, who accused Pelosi of backing away from promises to clean up Congress.

Pelosi said the assignment was appropriate, given the committee's jurisdiction over matters related to Hurricane Katrina. The 2005 storm devastated Jefferson's district.

Congressman Jefferson indictment timeline

A timeline of developments in the bribery investigation, indictment of Rep. William Jefferson By The Associated Press

A timeline of events in the Jefferson case:

-- July 30, 2005: The FBI alleges Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., accepted $100,000 in a briefcase from an FBI informant identified as Lori Mody, a businesswoman from Virginia. Jefferson believed Mody was collaborating with him in a scheme to bribe Nigerian officials so the pair could enter the Nigerian telecommunications market, according to the FBI.

-- Aug. 3, 2005: The FBI raids Jefferson's homes in New Orleans and Washington, D.C. At his Washington home, the FBI says it found $90,000 of the money Jefferson took from Mody packaged in aluminum foil and stuffed inside frozen food containers in his freezer.

-- Jan. 11, 2006: Brett Pfeffer, a former Jefferson aide, pleads guilty in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va., to bribery-related charges. He admits to aiding and abetting bribery of a public official and conspiracy.

-- May 3, 2006: Vernon Jackson, a Louisville, Ky., businessman, pleads guilty to paying more than $400,000 in bribes to a phony company headed by Jefferson's wife, Andrea, and family members to obtain favors from the congressman.

-- May 20, 2006: FBI raids Jefferson's congressional office, leading to a constitutional dispute over separation of powers.

-- May 21, 2006: FBI releases a 95-page affidavit detailing allegations against Jefferson.

-- Dec. 9, 2006: Jefferson is re-elected to the House of Representatives with 57 percent of the vote.

-- June 4, 2007: Jefferson named in a 16-count indictment charging him with racketeering, wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy, soliciting bribes, obstruction of justice and violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which prohibits corporate bribery overseas.
    "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'"

Our Louisiana politicians SUCK big time. Here is a guy who gets caught with $90,000 in his freezer and our STUPID, yes I said STUPID, voters re-elect him. I don't blame anyone in other states for not trusting our politicians here and I don't blame other states for not wanting to send aid or money here to help with Hurricane Katrina.
    The federal government sent BILLIONS here in what is called the Road Home Program. This was money to help people who didn't have proper insurance coverage to try and help rebiuld what was destroyed. What a coincedence that now there is a shortfall of money and the people who it was earmarked for haven't received it.
    I don't want to hear that it is the democrats or the republicans. If you don't live here, you don't know. The fact is they are ALL crooks - both democrats and republicans. They are both out to line THEIR pockets. Neither party is innocent.
    I promise you that NO state is as corrupt as Louisiana and that is fact. And that includes both the democrats and the republicans.
    I love the people here and it would be hard to move. But I am EMBARASSED by the politics and by how STUPID some voters are duped by these politicians.
    dave
    jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

The Demo's will lie and cheat to say he's not guilty...Wheres' Jessie and Sharpton backing the Demo's here?????????????
      jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by jordanrules23
        The Demo's will lie and cheat to say he's not guilty...Wheres' Jessie and Sharpton backing the Demo's here?????????????

Layup

Comment

Who?

Signed,

JC

Comment

i do not think any politician dem or republican will get near this one.......politicians only think of 1 thing...getting themselves re-elected and backing this guy can only be a negative.....

as far as jesse and al sharpton is concerned .....it makes no sense for them to get involved either....they usually get involved when someones civil rights are abused or perceived to be abused......i think you may be trying to make this racial when it is simply a case of right or wrong

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
              i do not think any politician dem or republican will get near this one.......politicians only think of 1 thing...getting themselves re-elected and backing this guy can only be a negative.....

as far as jesse and al sharpton is concerned .....it makes no sense for them to get involved either....they usually get involved when someones civil rights are abused or perceived to be abused......i think you may be trying to make this racial when it is simply a case of right or wrong
              Exactly. This isn't a black - white issue. We have many crooked white politicians here also. Our 'brilliant" governor Blanco is a white woman who is dumb as a box of rocks and right now couldn't get elected dog catcher.
              Tony, what is amazing to me is that during the recent election, Jefferson was in a runoff with a black woman(only saying this to show it is NOT racial) who had a legitimate chance to beat him until the 2 other politicans who got beat in the primary pushed all their votes to Jefferson. Their theory, which they admitted, was that when Jefferson got indicted, there would be a new election and they would get a second chance. It worked. And the sad thing is that they will probably get votes even though they wanted a guilty man re-elected so that they could get political gain. There will be ignorant people who think this is okay, yet they bitch about crooked politics even though they vote them in. It is a joke.
              jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony

U dont think the Mayor of N.O. is a racist??? If the Mayor of Biloxi said i want to make this a snowflake city, would he be in office? The fact that this Country allows the black race to say whatever they want whnever they want is a disgrace and only fules the fire of racism,,,The country didnt make a peep of Mayor Nagan when he said that....Let a republican Mayor say that.....see how fast he's run out of office...Rosie who is an avvid Demo says our own troops are murderes and terroists and she's glorified by the Demo media.....No matter what side your on theres going to be conflict on how the country should be ran, but certain ppl are allowed to say racist comments and get away with it, isnt right....In NYC they wanted to make a street named after an avid racist and when they turned it down, the blacks called white poloticians racist....What happened in New Orleans is a tragedy, but the same thing happened in Miss as well, do we hear a peep from that Gov????????// Or did Bush only help them....All Demo backers must come to the concl=usion that they're going to vote for either Hillary or OBama, if one of those ger elected, look out America..............
                Last edited by jordanrules23; 06-05-2007, 01:00 AM.
                jordanrules..................

Comment

U dont think the Mayor of N.O. is a racist??? If the Mayor of Biloxi said i want to make this a snowflake city, would he be in office? The fact that this Country allows the black race to say whatever they want whnever they want is a disgrace and only fules the fire of racism,,,The country didnt make a peep of Mayor Nagan when he said that....Let a republican Mayor say that.....see how fast he's run out of office...Rosie who is an avvid Demo says our own troops are murderes and terroists and she's glorified by the Demo media.....No matter what side your on theres going to be conflict on how the country should be ran, but certain ppl are allowed to say racist comments and get away with it, isnt right....In NYC they wanted to make a street named after an avid racist and when they turned it down, the blacks called white poloticians racist....What happened in New Orleans is a tragedy, but the same thing happened in Miss as well, do we hear a peep from that Gov????????// Or did Bush only help them....All Demo backers must come to the concl=usion that they're going to vote for either Hillary or OBama, if one of those ger elected, look out America..............
                  there are many things in life that race plays a part in for sure.....i just do not think the indictment of a politician for stealing is one of them.....i just notice many of your threads have a race theme to them....

i do not think dems rush to rosies aid....the only thing i have heard about them is they support her right to free speech.....What she says is trivial....consider her audience.....A bunch of unemployed and uneducated yentas who have nothing better to do than listern to what rosie and oprah says....

Nagin is an idiot and he caught hell for his comments......but it is what it is....

also both parties are more corrupt than anytime in history.....I have always been a republican, but i am more towards the middle and i can honestly say i do not feel better served by either party

i can not stand bush's stance on iran, foreign policy and immigration

i can not stand the dems position on tax reform, public assistance and universal health care....

the only thing i like about the republican that helps me is they favor business.....

jordanrules....i try to deal on issues and issues alone.....Not race....Not party......that is the only way i can rationalize for myself.....

i look at your threads and it is all anti-black and anti-democrat......when you do that you paint with very broad strokes and stereotype..........whites are not always right....blacks are not always wrong and vice versa.....dems are not always wrong nor republicans right.....

judge each man on his merit......each issue on its merit

good luck

Comment

hey jordan

hey jordan, see ya at the democratic convention!

Comment

Working...
                    X