Britain presses for release of Iran captives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain presses for release of Iran captives

BRITISH authorities were waiting for news from Iran today on the plight of the 15 Royal Navy personnel seized at gunpoint.

Britain's ambassador to Iran, Geoffrey Adams, met officials in the Middle East state's capital Tehran yesterday, urging that the sailors and marines be released.

The group was seized by Iranian forces on Friday in the waterway which divides Iran and Iraq.

The eight sailors and seven Marines - including one woman - from the Type 22 frigate HMS Cornwall were carrying out a routine search of a large cargo ship they suspected of smuggling.

The diplomatic row is over whether or not their patrol boat strayed into Iranian waters, with hard-line students in Iran calling for the men to be put on trial.

Yesterday Tony Blair upped the ante, describing the group's capture as "unjustified and wrong".

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "At the ambassador's request he went to a meeting at the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Tehran to press again for the release of our personnel, ask where they are being held and ask for consular access. We are waiting to get a response to that."

Iran trying to start some shit

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
      Iran trying to start some shit
      Why though? Especially when their in talks with WTO.

We don't need to go into Iran next.

Comment

Look out for Iran. They actually scare the shit out of me because they are looking for trouble. This proves it along with them refusing to go along with everything that has been asked of them. I believe THEY (Unlike Iraq) do/could have nuclear weapons and that scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
          Look out for Iran. They actually scare the shit out of me because they are looking for trouble. This proves it along with them refusing to go along with everything that has been asked of them. I believe THEY (Unlike Iraq) do/could have nuclear weapons and that scares me.
          Ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat

We don't need to go into Iran next.
            Would we even have the man power/Army for that? We seem thin as can be already with the deaths and more troops going to Iraq. I don't know how they would do it with the amount of people they would need!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
              Would we even have the man power/Army for that? We seem thin as can be already with the deaths and more troops going to Iraq. I don't know how they would do it with the amount of people they would need!
              Britian would have to send a lot more troops.

However, if we go into Iran don't be suprised if Russia backs Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                Britian would have to send a lot more troops.

However, if we go into Iran don't be suprised if Russia backs Iran.
                I thought i heard somewhere that China was someone behind Iran too and that scares me more than anything!

Comment

Working...
                X