Democrat Plan and evening out the trade deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KazDog
    Yes they are....But if each group has an equal share and a vested interest in seeing Iraq grow and become prorerous, they will not be so concerned with fighting and bickering. It's not a fool proof plan, but it's not a bad one either. You may very well see this plan get implemented, once that horses ass is out of office....Biden will more than likely use this plan to launch to nomination for presidency
    So you think these grown adults are just going to smile and grin and nod their head as you kick them out of their homes and tell them to go to their appropriate corner??

Comment

No.....but giving everyone an equal opportunity there, and not having one faction rule over all the others, you will see a lot less unrest. Why fight and get nothing when you can join together and make more for your own people? They will be much more happy to have us out of there and try this, than to continue to tear up the country with civil unrest....It makes sense KB!
      [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

JC....Don't be a tool!

You may learns sumthangs everys once in whale....
          [email protected]

Comment

No.....but giving everyone an equal opportunity there, and not having one faction rule over all the others, you will see a lot less unrest. Why fight and get nothing when you can join together and make more for your own people? They will be much more happy to have us out of there and try this, than to continue to tear up the country with civil unrest....It makes sense KB!
            Okay, since we've ruled out #1 having any chance of working, onto #2. "Secure the support of the Sunnis -- who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share of oil revenue."

My question is this, you think the Shiite's, who have control over the oil and don't like the Sunni's to being with, are just going to happily give 20% of their profits over to the Sunni's expecting nothing in return?

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
              Okay, since we've ruled out #1 having any chance of working, onto #2. "Secure the support of the Sunnis -- who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share of oil revenue."

My question is this, you think the Shiite's, who have control over the oil and don't like the Sunni's to being with, are just going to happily give 20% of their profits over to the Sunni's expecting nothing in return?

Yes....If the Shiite's believe they can become more powerful in the region and become more prosperous, why wouldn't they? 20% is not 100%. You reject this plan because it's from a Democrat. Has it been offered up to them? How do you know they won't embrace it? If it means an autonomous Iraq, I believe they would be more than happy to have us gone from there.....

The plan would maintain a unified Iraq by decentralizing it and giving Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis breathing room in their own regions - as provided for in the Iraqi constitution. The central government would be responsible for common interests, like border security and the distribution of oil revenues. We would secure support from the Sunnis - who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share (about 20 percent) of oil revenues. We would increase economic aid, ask the oil-rich Arab Gulf states to fund it and tie all assistance to the protection of minority rights and the creation of a jobs program. We would convene a regional conference to enlist the support of Iraq's neighbors and create a Contact Group of the major powers to enforce their commitments. And we would ask our military to draw up plans to responsibly withdraw most U.S. forces from Iraq by the end of 2007 - enough time for the political settlement to take hold.
              [email protected]

Comment

JC....Don't be a tool!

You may learns sumthangs everys once in whale....

but i am good at it
                Questions, comments, complaints:
                [email protected]

Comment

Yes....If the Shiite's believe they can become more powerful in the region and become more prosperous, why wouldn't they? 20% is not 100%. You reject this plan because it's from a Democrat. Has it been offered up to them? How do you know they won't embrace it? If it means an autonomous Iraq, I believe they would be more than happy to have us gone from there.....
                  Totally false! I don't believe this plan would work, I don't care if George Bush himself drew it up. How are the Shiite's going to believe they will get more power in the region when they are TOLD to give up 20% of their oil revenues??

Comment

The plan would maintain a unified Iraq by decentralizing it and giving Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis breathing room in their own regions - as provided for in the Iraqi constitution. The central government would be responsible for common interests, like border security and the distribution of oil revenues. We would secure support from the Sunnis - who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share (about 20 percent) of oil revenues. We would increase economic aid, ask the oil-rich Arab Gulf states to fund it and tie all assistance to the protection of minority rights and the creation of a jobs program. We would convene a regional conference to enlist the support of Iraq's neighbors and create a Contact Group of the major powers to enforce their commitments. And we would ask our military to draw up plans to responsibly withdraw most U.S. forces from Iraq by the end of 2007 - enough time for the political settlement to take hold.
                    I would wonder who would be in charge of "enforcing" this, and what repercussions would exist if it doesn't go according to plan. If the American public and Congress is constantly complaining about this being a religious civil war, I am a bit hesitant to believe a deal could be brokered ending centuries (sp) of sectarian violence just b/c we left. Is it worth a shot? Sure. But more to it then just suggesting the plan and hoping it would work too.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                      Totally false! I don't believe this plan would work, I don't care if George Bush himself drew it up. How are the Shiite's going to believe they will get more power in the region when they are TOLD to give up 20% of their oil revenues??
                      Come on KB, you can't be that backwards.....The country is totally decimated from this war and the previous war by Bush Sr. We and the UN have had economic sanctions placed on their country for years now. If the Shiites agree to give up 20%, how can they not want to embrace this. Sanctions would be lifted as well as embargos. They will have free trade. That country could have been wealthy beyond their own dreams had it not been for a dictator who used up a great deal of the wealth for his own benefit. Iraq will be far better off and we will convince the Shiites that they will be as well, if this plan is implemented. Of course the other Arab countries will have a hand at convincing them as well. I don't think it's going to be that difficult and YOU ARE NOT EVEN GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO SAY NO!.....
                      [email protected]

Comment

. Of course the other Arab countries will have a hand at convincing them as well. I don't think it's going to be that difficult .
                        The biggest obstacle I see would be Iran. They certainly don't want a stable Middle East. They would continue to "stir the pot" to make sure this would never happen I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gbell
                          The biggest obstacle I see would be Iran. They certainly don't want a stable Middle East. They would continue to "stir the pot" to make sure this would never happen I think.
                          I agree with you about that....But they are only one faction of a large Arab region. The Saudi's, Syrian's have all said they'd help out. Although I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils for Iran.....Having an autonomous Iraq as we pull out of the country or having the civil unrest with us being in their backyard....That's something only the Iranian's could answer...
                          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X