Budget's ups and downs leave big chunk for war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget's ups and downs leave big chunk for war

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon is the big winner in President Bush's proposed budget for next year, while domestic items such as aid to schools and grants to local governments will get slight increases.

Medicare and Medicaid, the health program for the poor and disabled, would shoulder modest but politically difficult cost curbs in the budget the White House is submitting to Congress on Monday.

Some $18 billion in budget savings would come from farm programs over five years.

Bush's spending plan totals almost $3 trillion for the budget year starting October 1. It would produce a surplus in five years, helped by steady revenue growth and a squeeze on the one-sixth of the budget that covers domestic agencies such as the departments of Education, Energy and Health and Human Services.

Domestic agencies would not face an outright cut, as proposed last year, but would see increases averaging 1 percent, White House Budget director Rob Portman said. That is less than anticipated inflation, but higher costs for veterans' health care probably would result in a larger than average increase.

The Pentagon, which also consumes one-sixth of the overall budget, would get an 11 percent increase, to $481.4 billion in its core budget. And that is before accounting for an additional $235 billion in war costs over the next year and a half.

Bush's plan will get a skeptical reception from the Democratic-controlled Congress. Democrats say it meets the president's promise to balance the budget by 2012 by omitting war costs and expensive changes to the alternative minimum tax and assuming politically untenable cuts in payments to doctors under Medicare.

"There's this continuing deception about our real fiscal condition," the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee said in an interview Saturday. "Over and over again we see things left out of his budget that we know are going to have to be dealt with," said Sen. Kent Conrad, D-North Dakota.

Democrats also say Bush's estimated cost of about $6 billion for increasing U.S. combat troop strength in Iraq greatly understates the likely total.

For months, Conrad has worked in back channels to establish a group of administration officials and lawmakers who would try to rein in costly benefit programs such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. But the president's refusal to consider some tax increases has scuttled the idea, at least for now.

Bush pushed the balanced budget idea -- to applause -- before a meeting Saturday with House Democrats in Virginia. But he seemed to acknowledge that a large-scale budget agreement with Democrats is a long shot. (Full story)

"I'm under no illusions of how hard it's going to be," Bush said. "The only thing I want to share with you is, is my desire to see if we can't work together to get it done."

There is room for some modest steps such as an increase in the maximum Pell Grant for low-income college students to $4,600, $550 more than the current cap. House Democrats last week passed an increase in the maximum grant to $4,310.

Health care spending likely to be debated
    The federal contribution to the popular State Children's Health Insurance Program would rise slightly to address chronic shortfalls. States, however, would get less money to cover children in families at twice the poverty level or more. Democrats are pressing for far greater increases in the children's health program.

The White House's budget also would trim $12 billion from Medicaid, mostly through lower payments to states for administrative costs. About $5 billion or so would go toward addressing shortfalls in the State Children's Health Insurance Program, according to the White House budget office.

The proposed cuts to Medicare and Medicaid are relatively modest, given the overall size of the programs. The Medicare reductions would come in part from smaller inflation adjustments for hospitals, nursing homes, home health care providers and hospices. More higher-income older people would face increased premiums.

Hospitals in particular are a powerful lobbying group and often are some of the leading employers in lawmakers' districts and states. Smaller Medicare cuts of $36 billion proposed last year went nowhere in a GOP-led Congress, and Democrats quickly pounced on the new proposal.

"I think that sounds like the president is declaring war on us and the poor people in this country," said Rep. Pete Stark, D-California.

Stark and other Democrats probably will go after what they see as excessive payments to private managed care plans that provide care to about 8 million Medicare beneficiaries.

Democrats also must deal with a scheduled 8 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors, a byproduct from a 1997 budget bill. Bush's budget would leave the cut in place, though Congress is virtually certain to provide relief as it has since 2003 with other scheduled payment cuts. Such a move would eat up Bush's proposed Medicare savings and then some.

All told, Bush is seeking $96 billion over five years from mandatory programs providing fixed benefits such as Medicare, farm subsidies and Medicaid and whose spending rises each year.

"Unless we act, we will saddle our children and grandchildren with tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded obligations," Bush said Saturday in his weekly radio address. "They will face three bad options: huge tax increases, huge budget deficits or huge and immediate cuts in benefits." (Full story)

Bush tells Democrats he welcomes Iraq debate

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia (AP) -- President Bush squarely addressed the issue most on the mind of House Democrats, saying Saturday that deep divisions over the Iraq war need not bring anyone's patriotism into question.

"You know, I welcome debate in a time of war and I hope you know that," Bush said in opening remarks as the guest speaker at a retreat that drew about 200 lawmakers to a Virginia resort.

He said disagreeing with him over the war -- as many in the room do -- does not mean "you don't share the same sense of patriotism I do." (Watch what Democrats say about Bush's Iraq budget )

"You can get that thought out of your mind, if that's what some believe," the president said. "These are tough times, but there's no doubt in my mind that you want to secure this homeland as much as I do."

Bush's conciliatory words were similar to some of his previous statements. But the applause that followed them offered some indication that this audience was happy to hear them so directly and in person.

Democrats, who in November wrestled control of the House from Republicans for the first time in a dozen years, have yet to settle on a legislative response to Bush's war plan. It involves adding 21,500 troops to the 132,000 already in Iraq.

Deciding what any nonbinding resolution in opposition should say or what should be done if the buildup fails to stop the violence were primary topics at the lawmakers' two-day retreat.

Options could include stripping the budget of war money, capping the number of troops in Iraq or refusing to pay for future deployments.

With that in mind, Bush gave his plan a soft sell.

"I listened to many members here, I listened to members of my own party, I listened to the military and came up with a plan that I genuinely believe has the best chance of succeeding," the president said.

He received applause for repeating his insistence that Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's government in Baghdad must show tangible improvement on the political front.

"I do know we agree on some things and that is that the Maliki government is going to have to show strong leadership," Bush said. "There's benchmarks that they have got to achieve."

Achievements praised
    Iraq was hardly the only topic on which Bush sought to win over a crowd of skeptics with flattery and acknowledgments of differences of opinion. With Democrats now in charge in the House and Senate, he had little choice.

Among the "big things" he singled out as prospects for bipartisan cooperation were balancing the budget, tackling budget-busting entitlements, immigration overhaul, health care, education and alternative energy production. He also frequently complimented the Democrats for their out-of-the-gate accomplishments since the session began in early January.

"I look forward to working with you," he said. "I know you've probably heard that and doubt whether it's true. It's true."

Already, Bush has granted several of the new majority's demands. He has acknowledged making mistakes in Iraq, fired Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and surrendered the fight for John Bolton to be U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Reflecting the target set by Democrats, Bush has promised a plan to balance the budget by 2012 after presiding over record deficits and tax cuts. Also, the president tentatively has agreed to increasing the federal minimum wage. The House and Senate have passed competing versions of this legislation.

The president also had a little fun at his own expense, hoping it would prove his willingness to find bipartisan consensus. His reference in his State of the Union address to their party as the "Democrat majority" -- as opposed to the "Democratic majority" -- caused grumbling and offense and he sought to make up for it.

"Now look, my diction isn't all that good," Bush said to laughter. "I have been accused of occasionally mangling the English language. And so I appreciate you inviting the head of the Republic Party."

After Bush's remarks, reporters were ushered out of the room while lawmakers asked the president a few questions.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and caucus chairman Rahm Emanuel of Illinois said Democrats would focus mostly on the war in Iraq.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said the question portion of Bush's appearance was closed to be consistent with his appearances at gatherings of congressional Republicans. At those events, Bush spoke in public but the questioning was closed "to provide frank and open discussion," Stanzel said.

He said Bush last attended the House and Senate Democratic retreats in early 2001, right after he took office.

Comment

Bush pushes budget that reins in entitlement programs

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, poised to submit his new budget to Congress next week, insisted Saturday that unless programs like Medicare and Social Security are changed, future generations will face tax hikes, government red ink or huge cuts in benefits.

Controlling spending requires the government to address the growth of entitlement programs such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, Bush said in his weekly radio address. He said spending for the programs is growing faster than inflation, faster than the U.S. economy and faster than taxpayers' ability to pay for them.

"Unless we act, we will saddle our children and grandchildren with tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded obligations," Bush said. "They will face three bad options: huge tax increases, huge budget deficits or huge and immediate cuts in benefits."

The budget Bush submits on Monday for the fiscal year that starts October 1 will start a new debate with the Democratic majority in Congress.

Reining in government spending will be one theme of Bush's remarks Saturday to the House Democratic Caucus meeting in Williamsburg, Virginia.

The president said his top budget priorities continue to be keeping America safe and winning the war against extremists.

Source: Bush wants $145 billion in 2008 for wars
      Bush will ask for $100 billion more for military and diplomatic operations in Iraq and Afghanistan this year and seek $145 billion for 2008, a senior Pentagon official said Friday. Those requests come on top of about $344 billion spent for Iraq since the 2003 invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Democrats are committed to giving U.S. troops everything they need, but he stressed that real change is needed in Iraq.

"America has already spent almost $400 billion on this war, too much of which has been wasted on boondoggles like Olympic-sized swimming pools in unused multimillion-dollar training camps in the desert," said Reid, D-Nevada.

"The American people deserve better. New reports by the Congressional Budget Office and our nation's intelligence community make clear that the president's policies in Iraq are flawed, costly and unsuccessful."

The president also called on Congress to pass the line-item veto, which would give him the ability to cut certain provisions in spending bills without vetoing entire measures. And he urged lawmakers to restrain government spending by reducing the use of earmarks -- a common Capitol Hill practice of slipping pet projects into spending bills.

To address the growth of entitlement programs, Bush's budget proposal contains about a 1 percentage point cut in the rapid growth in Medicare to squeeze about $66 billion in savings over five years from the federal health care program for the elderly.

Democrats: Bush must address spiraling health care costs
      Democrats argue that while Bush says he's proposing cuts to entitlement programs to address long-term solvency problems, he is not dealing with the cause: spiraling health care costs.

Karen Davenport, health policy director for the Washington-based Center for American Progress, said Medicare provides economic security for people who cannot acquire health insurance on their own. Fifty percent of people with Medicare coverage have incomes below $20,000 a year, and nine out of 10 Medicare beneficiaries have at least one chronic health problem, she said.

"As he proposes $70 billion in cuts to these programs, President Bush will say that he is trying to address long-term financial problems in these programs," Davenport said. "He is trying to treat a symptom, not the disease. The real problem is that health care costs in the United States are out of control. The president hasn't offered any meaningful solutions for controlling health care costs."

White House budget director Rob Portman said Friday that Bush's plan will result in a budget surplus in 2012. That's assuming strong growth in tax revenues, continued cuts on domestic agency spending and other cuts to farm programs, Medicare and the Medicaid health care program for the poor and disabled.

Bush proposes to curb payments to health care providers, such as hospitals, and require more higher-income recipients to pay greater premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        Bush pushes budget that reins in entitlement programs

To address the growth of entitlement programs, Bush's budget proposal contains about a 1 percentage point cut in the rapid growth in Medicare to squeeze about $66 billion in savings over five years from the federal health care program for the elderly.
        I hope there is a corresponding, if not more, cut in Medicaid.
        O..H.........I..O!

2010 NCAA Football: 4-3-1

2010 NFL: 0-0

2009-2010 NCAA Basketball: 30-23-1

Comment

Originally posted by ULikeApples
          I hope there is a corresponding, if not more, cut in Medicaid.
          Medicad doesn't need to be cut. Bush already cut it when he first got into office. We have more and more baby boomers reaching retirement and a lot of them can't afford insurance on Social Security.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
            Medicad doesn't need to be cut. Bush already cut it when he first got into office. We have more and more baby boomers reaching retirement and a lot of them can't afford insurance on Social Security.
            So let's give them everything. And reread your cut and pastes about the 97 budget (guess who).

""Democrats also must deal with a scheduled 8 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors, a byproduct from a 1997 budget bill.""

Why is it that the uber poor are the ones reeping all the benefits when budgets are discussed. More for health care (for the poor and poor planners), more for low-income housing, more for low-income education? If you are going to do something, do it for the "majority" middle class.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gbell
                So let's give them everything. And reread your cut and pastes about the 97 budget (guess who).

""Democrats also must deal with a scheduled 8 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors, a byproduct from a 1997 budget bill.""

Why is it that the uber poor are the ones reeping all the benefits when budgets are discussed. More for health care (for the poor and poor planners), more for low-income housing, more for low-income education? If you are going to do something, do it for the "majority" middle class.
                Let's cut the money for poor BUSH

Comment

Working...
                X