Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving country, selling my machines and need a second opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving country, selling my machines and need a second opinion...

Hi all, first post. Thanks in advance and please let me know if this is the wrong section to post this.

Will be moving from Ireland to Canada in March. Need advice on my options RE machines. The details are as follows:

Currently own two Singer 29Ks, one long arm and one short arm, as well as other smaller machines which are coming with me (overlocker, outseam stitcher, etc, not relevent). The short arm was given to me for free, I cleaned it up and will be selling it. No problems there. The long arm is my pride and joy and is a machine I use all the time. By way of explanation, the type of work I do and the designs I make require a patcher. I am unsure as to whether I keep this one, sell it, bring it to Canada, or what. The third machine that is essential to me, but I do not own, is an Adler 69, which belongs to my current place of work and will be staying there.

My questions: I require two machines in my future workshop once I move. The patcher and the workhorse, which is currently the Adler. My options are to sell all my current machinery, save on the money which I would be spending on shipping them over, and buy modern machines once I touchdown in Canada. Currently I am looking at the Techsew Patcher and maybe their 2600 cylinder machine in lieu of the Adler. Or I just try find someone selling an Adler 69. My requirement is just something that can handle light to medium weight with a foot very close to the edge of the cylinder bed. I mean, as an added bonus, ideally the machine would have the compound feed of the Adler. Their feed is just... lovely.

Finally, to cut to the chase, I just need people's second opinions: Am i being silly selling my Singers or should I ship them over with me? Is it worth the cost? Does anyone know if the Techsew patchers/2600 are any good? Are there other alternatives?

Thank you all very much in advance. Sorry for the long wall of text.

Have you thought about keeping just the machines head + accessories and buy new stands and motors in Canada? That would save weight and space and you still have the machines you are used to.

If the 29K?s are old clunkers like 29K4 I would leave then in the UK if they are 29K60 - 29K72 (or something in between) I would keep them I guess.

Techsew patchers are 29K7x clones like most of the Chinese patchers - I think they are as good / bad as any other Chinese 29K clone.

Comment

Better to sell your car and buy a new one in Canada. When I moved from India to the UK, I also had 1 car, I thought a lot about moving the car to England, but the cost of transporter and clearance is too expensive, so I sold my car on the secondary market in India. Overall my move went great because I used moving services in north-west London. These guys helped me with the move and saved me a lot of time thanks to them.

Comment

Working...
      X