Visibly hurting Tiger pulls out of Bridgestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visibly hurting Tiger pulls out of Bridgestone

AKRON, Ohio -- Tiger Woods hurt his back during the final round of the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday and withdrew after hitting his tee shot on the ninth hole.

Woods was in visible pain trying to pick up his tee and later at his car in the parking lot, where in brief remarks he said he "jarred it" when he jumped into a fairway bunker on the second hole trying to hit a shot after an awkward stance.

"It happened on the second hole when I hit my second shot," he said. "I fell back into the bunker. I just jarred it, and it's been spasming ever since.''

After birdieing the first hole, Woods struggled and was 3-over par for his round.

Woods had surgery on March 31 to alleviate a pinched nerve in his back. This was his third tournament back following more than three months away, as he missed the cut at the Quicken Loans National and finished 69th two weeks ago at the Open Championship.

As he got into a golf cart to take him away and tried to take off his shoes at his car, Woods was in obvious distress and could barely stand up. He limped to the passenger side of the car and was driven away by caddie Joe LaCava.

"It's just the whole lower back," Woods said of where the pain was located. "I don't know what happened.''

Woods said he tried to play through it but the pain got progressively worse.

enough is enough…. he just needs to retire

Comment

Working...
    X