NFL = “Nonprofit Football League?”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL = “Nonprofit Football League?”

Fairleigh Dickinson University conducted a survey recently that found that most Americans have no idea that NFL has managed to get itself classified as a nonprofit for tax purposes. Only 13% of Americans are aware of the League’s “nonprofit” status.

And, once told about this, the majority of people oppose these tax breaks: 69 percent don’t think public money should be used to build stadiums, and 71 percent are against tax breaks to keep an NFL team in town. Most people seem to struggle to reconcile the idea that a “nonprofit” with $9.5 billion in annual revenues should get special tax breaks at a time when libraries are closing, school lunch programs are on the chopping block, and unemployment benefits are no longer being funded.

Do you think it’s fair that the NFL hasn’t paid any taxes since 1966? If not, sign the CREDO Mobilize Petition and add your voice to the growing throng demanding justice. Better yet, whip out your laptop at your Superbowl party and get all your guests to sign it. It’s time to stop the zillionaire gravy train.

Currently, a bipartisan effort to amend the tax code is underway in Congress. Senator Tom Coburn, (R- Ok.) recently announced he would be introducing a bill, the PRO Sports Act, that would tax any professional sports league that brings in at least $10 million per year, including of course, the NFL. So it wouldn’t hurt to contact your Representative and Senators, as well, and let them know you support this idea.

http://politicalloudmouth.com/2014/0...otball-league/

Y'all dems need every tax dollar y'all can get to keep up with y'all's freebie lifestyle!!! Unreal how dems find all these loopholes in business but yet rely on all us taxpayers to survive. Just amazes me

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
      Y'all dems need every tax dollar y'all can get to keep up with y'all's freebie lifestyle!!! Unreal how dems find all these loopholes in business but yet rely on all us taxpayers to survive. Just amazes me
      I guess you missed this part "Senator Tom Coburn, (R- Ok.)" That's a Republican and Oklahoma is a red state.
      Damn try and lighten up some. I would say most people don't realize that it's a non profit league at least according to the article only 13% of Americans know this

Comment

Coburn is a moron!

Comment

I don't have a strong opinion here but it should be noted that the NFL as an entity is nothing more than an association of franchises. The "profit" belongs to those franchises. All of them, with the partial exception of Green Bay which has a unique structure, are taxed. It's not entirely different from a group like the National Association of Realtors which is "owned" by all of the member Realtors.

The biggest scam to me is how much the individual teams are able to deduct from their taxable income. Did you know, for example, teams can depreciate the value of their players each year of their contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
            I don't have a strong opinion here but it should be noted that the NFL as an entity is nothing more than an association of franchises. The "profit" belongs to those franchises. All of them, with the partial exception of Green Bay which has a unique structure, are taxed. It's not entirely different from a group like the National Association of Realtors which is "owned" by all of the member Realtors.

The biggest scam to me is how much the individual teams are able to deduct from their taxable income. Did you know, for example, teams can depreciate the value of their players each year of their contracts?
            No, and I think it's complete BS. The NFL makes tons of money, but pays no taxes. Do other professional sports leagues pay taxes? Just found that a lot of them are exempt as well. You can read more in detail here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjre...n-seems-silly/

Comment

Any accountants on here? Way more info:

http://www.guidestar.org/organizatio...ll-league.aspx

Tax Filing:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...907a8cd-9O.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X