Source: Tigers agree to deal Fielder for Kinsler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source: Tigers agree to deal Fielder for Kinsler

The Detroit Tigers have agreed to trade first baseman Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers for second baseman Ian Kinsler, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The agreement was first reported by CBSSports.com.

Physicals are still needed to complete the deal, and another unidentified player could be involved in the deal, according to the report.

The Rangers are reportedly one of the teams included in Fielder's limited no-trade clause. Fielder would have to waive his right to veto the deal, but, according to the report, he is likely to do that.

Fielder, 29, hit .279 with 25 home runs and 106 RBIs last season, his second with the Tigers. Fielder signed a nine-year, $214 million contract with Detroit prior to the 2012 season.

Kinsler, 31, hit .277 with 13 home runs and 72 RBIs last season with Texas.

Tigers gave them $30 mill also which basically pays for the last year. Interested to see what comes next
    Last edited by BigWeiner; 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Bet they dumped him so they can free up money to sign Max Scherzer to a long term deal

Comment

That and they can put Cabrera back at 1B and play Castellanos at 3B

Comment

I think they really wanted miggy back at 1st to keep him healthy and getting rid of that contract was a win win while getting a solid 2B. Texas was looking for that big left handed bat that they lost when Hamilton left to go with beltre

Comment

Think it's good for both sides. Rangers can play Provar at 2nd now as well.

Comment

I heard the rangers may be going after Cano. They have the money to do it

Comment

Fielders numbers have been on a steady decline the last 3 years and I think that is going to be a horrible contract in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Hell, maybe even earlier. I think Detroit got the best of that trade!

Comment

Fielder just keeps packing on weight, his body will be toast for those last few years. Kinsler is solid although seems to be injured all the time, I like the trade for both teams, opens up a lot of good options for both teams also

Comment

I'm not convinced that it is great for Texas. Even you agree BW that a lot of those years at the end could be bad. They could have mike Napoli for a third of the money and half the years at 1st and he put up the same numbers, and he is a better defensive 1B

Comment

Napoli is solid, no doubt and way cheaper, he'll probably sign a 3 year deal, but Fielder will be better than Napoli at least for those 3 year. 2017-2020, that's another story, but the Tigers paid for 2020. Nobody was gonna take Kinsler at that salary, and he was more than expendable, so I think it's ok for now.

Comment

Everything I hear BW says that the 30 million basically brings his per year salary down from 24 million to 20 million per year and in 2020 they will still be writing those massive checks that count as part of the teams salary and luxury tax. That isn't going anywhere. All the 30 million does is put a little money in the rangers pocket now.

I'm also not convinced fielder will be that much if at all better than Napoli. When you compare salaries he better be a lot damn better to make up the huge difference and I don't see it. Fielder has become more and more lazy with the work ethic and Detroit wasn't shy in saying they didn't like it.

Comment

Fielder will smash down in Arlington. He'll be fine. The way the jet stream carries the ball out to right center in the summer months down there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit 50 bombs a year the next few years.
                          Last edited by kbsooner21; 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not trying to argue here or anything kb but based on what? His numbers have been doing nothing but declining. I think we are all in love with the name and numbers from 5 years ago but he hasn't been that guy.

Comment

Based on Comerica Park being a big ball park to hit out of. I think a change of scenery in a lot more hitter's friendly park will see his numbers rise back up for the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X