MLB suspends 13, including A-Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB suspends 13, including A-Rod

Major League Baseball came down heavy Monday on the players it found to have been involved with the South Florida anti-aging clinic Biogenesis, suspending Alex Rodriguez through the end of the 2014 season and banning 12 others for 50 games, including three All-Stars: Nelson Cruz of the Texas Rangers, Everth Cabrera of the San Diego Padres and Jhonny Peralta of the Detroit Tigers.

"I am disappointed with the penalty and intend to appeal and fight this through the process," Rodriguez said in a release. "I am eager to get back on the field and be with my teammates in Chicago tonight. I want to thank my family, friends and fans who have stood by my side through all this."

MLB commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement that Rodriguez's punishment will begin Thursday and cover the rest of the 2013 regular season, the 2013 postseason and the 2014 regular season and was covered under the drug program's protocols and based on Rodriguez's "use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including testosterone and human growth hormone, over the course of multiple years."

"Rodriguez's discipline under the Basic Agreement is for attempting to cover-up his violations of the program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation," Selig said in the statement.

Rodriguez's suspension is the equivalent of 211 regular-season games because he has 72 hours to inform baseball that he will appeal. His lawyer, David Cornwall, said Rodriguez would appeal and he would "pursue all legal remedies available to Alex." Rodriguez will be allowed to play until his appeal is heard.

"Under the terms of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, Rodriguez's suspension will be stayed until the completion of his appeal if Rodriguez files a grievance challenging his discipline," Selig said.

The Major League Baseball Players Association is prepared to support Rodriguez in his appeal.

Said MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner: "For the player appealing, Alex Rodriguez, we agree with his decision to fight his suspension. We believe that the Commissioner has not acted appropriately under the Basic Agreement. Mr. Rodriguez knows that the Union, consistent with its history, will defend his rights vigorously."

The 12 other players agreed to deals for their suspensions in which they gave up the right to appeals. The other nine, in addition to Cruz, Cabrera and Peralta, are:

• Antonio Bastardo, Phillies reliever

• Francisco Cervelli, Yankees catcher (on DL)

• Jordany Valdespin, Mets outfielder (minors)

• Jesus Montero, Mariners catcher (minors)

• Cesar Puello, Mets outfielder (minors)

• Sergio Escalona, Astros pitcher (minors)

• Fernando Martinez, Yankees outfielder (minors)

• Fautino De Los Santos, free-agent pitcher

• Jordan Norberto, free-agent pitcher

Beyond Rodriguez, the suspensions come with potentially stiff consequences for at least two of the players and their teams. Cruz, Cabrera and Peralta were each All-Stars this season, with Cruz's Rangers and Peralta's Tigers contending for playoff berths.

In a separate statement, Cruz said his punishment was a result of "an error in judgment," saying he had been seriously ill in early 2012 with a gastrointestinal infection called helicobacter pylori that went undiagnosed for more than a month.

"By the time I was properly diagnosed and treated, I had lost 40 pounds," Cruz said in the news release. "Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my family, friends, and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers' fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs."

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said the team was "open minded" to Cruz joining the playoff roster if they qualify for the postseason.

I can't believe i'm going to do this and defend A-Rod BUT ......

How the hell does everyone get 50 games and he gets almost a year and a half? I know they have a ton of shit on him and that he tried to buy the paperwork and blah blah blah but please. He never failed a test and he has never been suspended before. If it's about lying and shit then why does Braun get to play next year? Oh yeah, that's right. Probably cuz bud used to own the Brewers and they got special treatment?

I'm no A-Rod fan by any means but I do think he has a chance with his appeal. IMO, he should have got what Braun did. No more no less.

Comment

He admitted to using before, remember? In 2001-2003, which is total bullshit, he's been using all his life, but regardless, it's a second offense even if the first one wasn't punishable. Also, he tried to cover up and lied his ass off. 50 games is nothing, if he got 65 games, every player would juice,, lie, cover up, etc. His punishment should be severe.

Comment

I'm sure most agree with you BW but I don't see it. Braun lied his ass off too and unlike A-Rod, he actually FAILED a test. If you want to talk cover ups, how about Melky last year buying a website and shit just to pretend he bought it there and stuff. Talk about going the extra mile?

Something tells me there are or were plenty of players out there doing just as many roids as A-Rod. If they wanted to set an example, they should have done before the HR record was broken last time and they didn't. You set a protocol, now follow it.

Comment

Turn MLB into softball. Move the fences to 500 feet away and make it 4 outfielders. That will change everything!!!!!

Comment

They got major shit on A-Rod or this wouldn't be going down so "quietly" imo.

Comment

My friend who's a die-hard cardinals fan sent me a link today. It was a story in the St Louis Post-Dispatch with allegations about Albert Pujols' use. My friend was indignant. My response was, "my give-a-shit is just about broken on this issue'.

The steroid problem has been so rampant and there's been so much publicity about it over the last 10 or 15 years that I can hardly even have a reaction to it any more. I'm just kinda sick of hearing about it. Some of the talking heads also like to talk about how steroids have killed baseball. The bottom-line facts don't support that contention. Just through a quick google search I read one source that stated baseball revenues have risen 50% over the last 5 years and another reporting that revenues are up 257% since 1995. I guess the players, the commissioner, the owners just haven't had enough incentive to deal with the problem definitively. and apparently there are enough fans like me who've been desensitized to the issue. Fans keep buying baseball stuff and keep filling the stands.

Maybe if A-Rod's career-ending suspension withstands the appeal, that'll be a good first step towards dealing with the problem once and for all. we'll see.

Comment

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, appearing on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Thursday, was passionate in his stance on Major League Baseball and its attempt to suspend New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez due to the Biogenesis scandal.

"Horrible," Cuban replied to Leno's question about Rodriguez's suspension. "I think it's disgraceful what Major League Baseball is trying to do to him. Look, it's not that he doesn't deserve to be suspended. He does. They have policies in place: A first-time offender is 50 games, and a second time is 100. [Two hundred and eleven games], that's personal."

Rodriguez was suspended for 211 games on Monday as a result of the investigation. However, he's been allowed to play pending his appeal, which could take months.

This isn't Cuban's first interaction with the world of Major League Baseball. In 2008, Cuban submitted a bid of $1.3 billion to buy the Chicago Cubs. In 2009, he was not selected to participate in the final bidding process. One year later, he pursued the purchase of the Texas Rangers. After placing bids upward of $600 million, he once again didn't win the rights to own a professional baseball team.

"I've got to tell you, with my experiences with Major League Baseball -- and after all of this, there's no chance I'm getting to buy a team -- it's basically become Bud Selig's mafia," Cuban said. "He runs it the way he wants to run it. They don't want me to own a team. When I was trying the buy the Rangers, even after the Cubs, when I was trying to buy the Texas Rangers, it was an open option.

"I sat in there with my good, hard-earned money trying to bid, and they did everything possible to keep me from buying the team. They had lawyers in there trying to change the rules; they had people trying to put up more money. It was horrible."

Whether it's Rodriguez or whoever, Cuban strongly and passionately believes there's one thing to watch out for with the commissioner.

"Obviously, Bud Selig does not like to be tested," Cuban said. "He does not want anybody to stand up to him."

Leno shifted the Rodriguez discussion to a hypothetical scenario where the Yankees infielder, baseball's highest-paid player, would resist fighting the charges and tell everyone that he cheated, admitting it was wrong and apologizing for his actions. The late night host said MLB could send a message to the rest of the league by dropping the hammer on the league's elite players.

"It shouldn't be that way," Cuban said. "That's one of the poor things about sports. How much money a player makes should have nothing to do with the way you treat them.

"The reality is the guy broke the rules. He basically admitted that he had broken the rules before. But to come out [with the suspension MLB is going for] and try to give him a lifetime ban, that's just wrong."

Comment

Agreed Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what i'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cuban is just running his mouth cause he can't get an MLB team. about what Cuban says. He's full of shit imo.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                      Cuban is just running his mouth cause he can't get an MLB team. about what Cuban says. He's full of shit imo.
                      He is a very smart man and he would have been the best owner out there for the Cubs!

Comment

The players have a union kb. MLB simply can't make up shit as they go when a union is involved. 211 games? Where do they come up with that number? Just because it totaled this season and all of next it sounded good? How about following the policies you, MLB, put in place.

I fuckin hate A-Rod but give me a break. They can't just make shit up on the fly. It doesn't work that way with unions and I still say he wins his appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                          The players have a union kb. MLB simply can't make up shit as they go when a union is involved. 211 games? Where do they come up with that number? Just because it totaled this season and all of next it sounded good? How about following the policies you, MLB, put in place.

I fuckin hate A-Rod but give me a break. They can't just make shit up on the fly. It doesn't work that way with unions and I still say he wins his appeal.
                          I can't wait til all the shit they have on A-Rod becomes public knowledge during this appeal. That cheating piece of shit will never play again I'm hoping!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                            He is a very smart man and he would have been the best owner out there for the Cubs!
                            How the heck is Cuban a very smart man? He happened to get lucky with the .com boom and that's it. Now he acts like a fucking spoiled brat everytime something doesn't go his way and always blames shit on everyone else. Fuck Cuban

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                              I can't wait til all the shit they have on A-Rod becomes public knowledge during this appeal. That cheating piece of shit will never play again I'm hoping!
                              Don't hold your breath. They didn't give him a lifetime ban because they KNEW it would never hold up in court and his ban is not for fairness of the game like Rose. It was simply drug policy and unless he agrees like Braun, it is clearly stated 50 games, 100 games, lifetime. It doesn't matter if you have evidence of him doing it 100 times. You still have to ban him as a 1st time offender.

I bet MLB will get away with maybe 162 games as a ban. I will be shocked if the 211 stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X